Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Outage Safety Work  

Author Topic: Outage Safety Work  (Read 6961 times)

Offline safety13114

• Lurker
Outage Safety Work
« on: Mar 24, 2014, 07:27 »
Hello all,
 I am recently retired after 33 years at Novelis Aluminum as the Health and Safety Leader. I am interested in working safety at Nuclear outages. The roadblock I am facing is " No Nuclear employment without experience, No experience without Nuclear employment" loop. Does anyone have any suggestions, everyone tells me that I need to get badged, but this is hard! I have a lot of safety experience as well as electrical background.
 Thanks for your comments!

Chimera

Re: Outage Safety Work
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24, 2014, 09:29 »
Oh yeah - outage safety.  That's where you spend most of your time in your office and, on those rare occasions when you do go out into the plant, you ignore what you see until the job is done so you don't impact the outage schedule.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Mar 24, 2014, 09:33 »
Oh yeah - outage safety.  That's where you spend most of your time in your office and, on those rare occasions when you do go out into the plant, you ignore what you see until the job is done so you don't impact the outage schedule.

OP - check your PMs,..

Chimera - RP/HP types getting on the case of safety types?!?!?!?!?

that's rich brother,.....truly rich,..... :P ;) :) 8)

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Enjoy the Day!!!!!

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:10 »
Either enjoy your retirement.

But if you really must work, get into another area--avoid commercial nuke.

There is plenty of H&S work all over the place that doesn't require security clearances or FFD or travel, or a lot of the other commercial nuke idiosynchrosies, and with the right certs you should be able to slide in easily.

Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2014, 07:37 »
Chimera - RP/HP types getting on the case of safety types?!?!?!?!?

that's rich brother,.....truly rich,..... :P ;) :) 8)

Enjoy the Day!!!!!

The general topic of safety in the work place has been a pet peeve of mine for decades.  It doesn't matter if it's at a commercial nuke, DOE, Navy, construction or working on the railroad . . . I've yet to see any organization that practices what it preaches although, to give credit where credit is due, the railroad comes the closest.  Ultimately, safety in any environment is an individual responsibility but that isn't how it seems to play out in the field - especially when outage schedules are on the line.

You can laugh all you want but I exercise that individual responsibility every day - and go home safely every night.  And insofar as my responsibilities in radiaiton safety are concerned, you don't want to be there when I HAVE to earn my paycheck because that means someone else didn't.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 27, 2014, 08:27 »
The general topic of safety in the work place has been a pet peeve of mine for decades.  It doesn't matter if it's at a commercial nuke, DOE, Navy, construction or working on the railroad . . . I've yet to see any organization that practices what it preaches although, to give credit where credit is due, the railroad comes the closest.  Ultimately, safety in any environment is an individual responsibility but that isn't how it seems to play out in the field - especially when outage schedules are on the line.

You can laugh all you want but I exercise that individual responsibility every day - and go home safely every night.  And insofar as my responsibilities in radiaiton safety are concerned, you don't want to be there when I HAVE to earn my paycheck because that means someone else didn't.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree,...

The NRC licensed facilities I have worked had strong safety cultures,...

I have gone home the same way I came in after every shift I have ever worked, for 25+ years,...

I have had to stop progress a few times for different reasons, safety included, and always in the face of schedule pressure, because there is always a schedule,...

I do not go to work looking for creative ways to stop a job, as that does not help any facility stay on the grid, move electrons, and cut paychecks,...

To the original post in this dialogue which has turned from whimsical to contentious:

I have respect for the safety types, they have to balance solid "do not go here" mandates along with their skill of the craft which knows what will get you to the edge, and they try to keep things from getting to the edge in the face of schedule pressure,...

Because nobody who has gone over the edge likes to work right up against it, regardless of the notion that it is perfectly legal to be working on the edge,...

As individuals, I do not see safety types as being any more or less professional than radiation protection types,...

As a craft, safety and radiation protection face similar outside perceptions concerning their functions and similar challenges in the arena of "If everything is well, why are you being so detail oriented?"

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: Mar 27, 2014, 05:14 »
amen, brother glw. aye bin out of power blocks four a wile, but theirs know doubt they are safer than the udder places eye have worked. I am a ware that says moor about the rest of the industry, butt aye kin safely say power plants are good fore me.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?