Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Budget Cuts Threaten Training Reactor at Knolls Atomic Power Lab

Author Topic: Budget Cuts Threaten Training Reactor at Knolls Atomic Power Lab  (Read 18016 times)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
I will counter with:

Every Chief/EDMC I've spoken to would rather get a blank slate to mold than what comes out of prototype. Then at least they won't have to wait forever for the gapped [insert billet] just to get someone who can't shift the electric plant in under 15 minutes.

Training for specialization is also nothing new in modern militaries.

As for the pipeline length, I already think that power school is too short. I'd rather see that lengthened to 8 months with a minimum passing score of 3.2, then send them to the fleet. Use more FIDE sessions and PVO mock-ups to teach them the basics.

5 full years of sea duty for nukes? Do you want ANYONE to reenlist? That decision would cost the Navy a lot more in retention problems than it would save in initial training pipeline costs.

Fair enough but by the same token I had a chief who would rather have had a D style boiler, no ELTs, and no ORSE boards. That wasn't practical either but that is what he said he wanted.   :P

I spent my last year three section EWS/EDPO and I was looking at another sea billet if I re-upped due to shortages nothing new 35 some years later.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
and another gem in this long running scuttlebutt from 9+ years ago,...

http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5031.0.html

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Fair enough but by the same token I had a chief who would rather have had a D style boiler, no ELTs, and no ORSE boards. That wasn't practical either but that is what he said he wanted. 

Touche but I think that CPOs training their nubs is significantly different than removing a rating and inspections altogether, yes?

There are a lot of 'prototyp-isms' that come into play as well and sometimes it's harder to untrain bad habits.

Quote from: GLW
half of that is the Navy's fault from a different tack also,...
Yes, and I posted in another thread that retention is getting a big look because the rest of the Navy has gotten a taste of what nukes have had to deal with for quite some time.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...

so many cool ramblings on this thread,...

....There are a lot of 'prototyp-isms' that come into play as well and sometimes it's harder to untrain bad habits.

somethings never change,...

like trying to untrain a SPU,...

when we were keeping track of such things it was typically 212 WTFs?!?!?! and 262 headshakes to get a SPU from "wired to fail" to "sat watchstander",...

YMMV,... some SPUs not so much,... some SPUs incorrigible,...

the incorrigible typically became engineering department yeomen or some sorta QA or cal PO or other nonesuch,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!

Touche but I think that CPOs training their nubs is significantly different than removing a rating and inspections altogether, yes?

There are a lot of 'prototyp-isms' that come into play as well and sometimes it's harder to untrain bad habits.

Yes and yes.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?