Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Load Dispatcher LADWP  

Author Topic: Load Dispatcher LADWP  (Read 13356 times)

saulog12

Load Dispatcher LADWP
« on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:24 »
Here's my background and current situation:
Navy Nuke, got out as an MM1 (SS) about 5 years ago, qualified up to ERS. Have a stellar career going for me, working for the Gas Company as an Energy Tech. for almost 5 years making just shy of six figures.

My question:
Saw a job posting for Load Dispatcher for LADWP, one of the requirements was 5 years as a Navy Nuke. The duties and responsibilities for the job seem kind of daunting since they're electrical systems and I have a heavy mechanical background. I looked up the salaries, and found that it's double of what I'm making. I went ahead and applied last week and started brushing up on my electrical theory, even thinking of purchasing Power System Operation by Robert Miller. Am I wasting my time, or do I have a fighting chance of not only getting picked up for the position, but actually being a good operator?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Load Dispatcher LADWP
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:56 »
This is nuke worker, not LADWP worker. That said, and not knowing you, sure, why not?

Make sure you pay attention to the overtime that those people put in and consider the enormous cost of living.

200k is nice, except when your house is 800k+, gas is 5 dollars a gallon, taxes are high, etc.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2014, 07:32 »
This is nuke worker, not LADWP worker. That said, and not knowing you, sure, why not?

Make sure you pay attention to the overtime that those people put in and consider the enormous cost of living.

200k is nice, except when your house is 800k+, gas is 5 dollars a gallon, taxes are high, etc.

Justin

Everything he said.....plus

Gotta pass their entrance exam, gotta get selected for interview. Possible so far. It helps to not look like or have a name like Andy Griffith.

Then there is the NERC certificate exam. The Miller book is a good start, but you will want to memorize and understand the growing plethora of NERC Standards. You can get hired without the NERC cert., but to stand out on the interview you want to sound knowledgeable about power system operations. Especially the buzzing 60 Hz side. A lot of power system operations centers are currently hiring trainees that can flashbulb memorize some standards and the ACE equation to (barely) pass a NERC exam, but knowing the difference between a cap bank and Citibank, an 80 MVAR reactor vs S5G would go a long way in impressing the interviewing panel. Speaking of which (and I have no affiliation with you or the hiring agency whatsoever), if you are asked to define a VAR and use beer anywhere in the definition, I would fail you on the spot. Learn the real definition and be prepared to talk your way through the math.

Plus all of those STAR questions that put you on equal footing with Oprah, such as "name a time when you had a disagreement with a peer, blah blah blah, name a time when you solved world hunger and give three examples, blah blah blah"

Other than that....cowboy up! and good luck!  8)

saulog12

« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:12 »
Thanks for the insight guys, greatly appreciate it. ;D

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:32 »
You're welcome.

Dave, your inbox is full.  8)

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:33 »
You're welcome.

Dave, your inbox is full.  8)

Justin

He hasn't renewed his Gold Membership yet.  ;)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2014, 10:52 »
long story...I misplaced the money order, I should have it back fairly soon....

Offline donnieMM2

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: Aug 22, 2014, 11:10 »
Jules, is that you??

I am an ex nuke mm. I work for LADWP. The load dispatcher test was not difficult especially compared to power school material. I passed it and was offered the job after taking it once and interviewing. I turned it down though since I was in a different apprenticeship program at the time and the commute was pretty bad. I may go do it eventually. The money is great. Also, you can "buy back" all of your military time to go toward the LADWP pension.

Don

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?