Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu OCS to Nuke

Author Topic: OCS to Nuke  (Read 3658 times)

Offline JMeyers

• Lurker
OCS to Nuke
« on: Apr 04, 2014, 10:36 »
Hey so I know this might have been posted many times before but, I would like some actual knowledge on my situation instead of friends just speculating.

I am a college grad from a top 35 University, I got my Undergraduate degree in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a 3.1 and my Masters (5 year program) in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a concentration in Power, my GPA was 3.6 for grad school.  I have been out for under a year and have been working as an engineer at an electronics company since I graduated and I am 23 about to be 24.

My question is, considering my age and schooling, can I apply to OCS and go down the path of a nuke officer? Am I too old or too far out of school? Is it possible to get into OCS and Nuke school at the same time? (Assuming I crush all of my tests) I have had 4 semesters of college calculus, 2 semesters of calc-based physics, tons of power courses. My masters project was working with and installing devices in a power plant. I feel this would be quite the opportunity if it is possible.  Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Offline Steph821

• Lurker
Re: OCS to Nuke
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2014, 02:57 »
You normally apply for a community (or a few) when you apply for OCS. However, the only way to get into the Nuke community through OCS is to apply for the NUPOC program. At 24 you are not too old. Most in NUPOC are still in school (more benefits), but I know people who applied and got in after they graduated. There are no more tests as part of your application, they use your transcripts and SAT/ACT scores instead of the OAR, and if you get far enough you'll go through a few technical interviews.

If you are really interested, you should find an Officer recruiter who can give you more information specific to your situation. If you are really serious, it would be well worth your time to read through a lot of the forum posts on NUPOC. You can find answers to questions you didn't even know you had!

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2014, 03:59 »
Why is this "quite the opportunity"?  Why do you want to join the Navy?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2014, 05:22 »
My question is, considering my age and schooling, can I apply to OCS and go down the path of a nuke officer? Am I too old or too far out of school? Is it possible to get into OCS and Nuke school at the same time? (Assuming I crush all of my tests) I have had 4 semesters of college calculus, 2 semesters of calc-based physics, tons of power courses. My masters project was working with and installing devices in a power plant. I feel this would be quite the opportunity if it is possible.  Thanks ahead of time for your help.
What do you mean 'nuke officer?' There are several jobs that involve Naval nuclear propulsion. Working at NR is the only one that I'd classify as solely a 'nuke officer.' If you apply for submarines, then you are a line officer who also learns a lot about how to supervise the operation of a Naval nuclear power plant.

At 24, you are young enough for any commissioning job. The age limit is 27 for aviation jobs, 29 for SWO/subs, and it goes up from there for staff jobs.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?