Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New here honeypot

Author Topic: New here  (Read 5069 times)

Offline emnjns

• Lurker
New here
« on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:30 »
How is it going. This is my first time posting here. To give you a little background information about me. I am 23 years old. Wasnt the best student in high school. graduated with mostly c's. got one F in geometry but later made it up in summer school. Did one year of college and didnt really do to much better. cumulative gpa of 3.0 but mostly c grades in my science classes (didnt fail any classes). Took a break from school and moved to vegas when I was 21. Made alot of bad mistakes there. got into some trouble and caught a dui charge. Fought the case and got it pushed down to reckless driving.year has passes so I just took the asvab. (didnt do to well only got 84) and now I am supposed to take the NAPT this coming up week. I have really got my heart set on getting in the nuclear program. I am not really concerned about A school and the other schools because I have great study habits and determination to succeed. I have no problem putting my head down and asking for help. So the questions I have are

1 Do you think I can get a wavier for my reckless driving charge and do you think I will be rejected because of it. Other than some tickets I have paid off I have never had any trouble with the law.

2.What are some reasons people wouldnt get denied from the program.

3.What are the enlistment bonuses and do they change when you need a waiver. because my recruiter is kind of shady so its kind of hard to take his word for some things.

4. Does me having debt also require me to have a wavier and will it affect my chances to get in (probably about 14,000 in student loans and another 3,000 in other apartment evictions.)

Ed

Re: New here
« Reply #1 on: Apr 05, 2014, 06:45 »
Have You researched a future, a career in nuke? why do you want to get into nuke as opposed a more solid career options with more employment prospect? have you thoroughly compared a career, a future in nuke against other career options? 

do a simple search, go to indeed.com do a very quick search for, lets say, for example,  "system administration" then do a search for nuke. You'll see. :-)

Offline emnjns

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Apr 05, 2014, 08:34 »
Yes I have done alot of research. I have been up and down this forum looking for answers before I came here. I have researched careers in nuke and it did nothing but fuel my desire to get into the program. As for why I want to be a nuke. I studied as a chemical engineering major in college and before I left I took a real strong liking to the nuclear side of things. I read books, watch videos and even attended a few lectures on the field. It has always been a dream of mine to work in the field. I have even interned at a few places. I want to get into the nuke program because I love the challenge. In the nuclear field it is never just a cake walk or another day at the office. mundane jobs really just cant keep my attention. Science has always been my number 1 in life. so looking elsewhere is just not an option.

BuddyThePug

« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2014, 11:30 »
What is your backup plan, if you cannot get the waivers necessary for Nuke?

First, you should have posted this in the Navy Nuke forum. Second, as a navy nuke, your job is fairly mundane. The main thing you'll do underway is finding new things to talk about.

How can you say you've got good study habits with mainly c's? While the training pipeline isn't difficult, it is fairly intense, we cram about 3-4 years of school into 18 months.

P.S. This is why I asked the question....it would seem unlikely that Nuke will happen for you. Would you be content in the Navy in a different rating doing something that may not sound as glorious, but still teaches you skills and gets you those generous GI benefits?
« Last Edit: Apr 06, 2014, 01:30 by BuddyThePug »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Apr 06, 2014, 12:32 »
First, you should have posted this in the Navy Nuke forum. Second, as a navy nuke, your job is fairly mundane. The main thing you'll do underway is finding new things to talk about.

How can you say you've got good study habits with mainly c's? While the training pipeline isn't difficult, it is fairly intense, we cram about 3-4 years of school into 18 months.

Offline nukesquirrel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Apr 06, 2014, 03:38 »
As a current recruiter, in order to have much of a chance at getting a nuke contract you need to do very well on the NAPT. Right now you are looking at two Type 2 waivers plus an academic waiver, these are taking 30-45 days to get an answer on. I'm not saying it's not going to happen, but you may want to look at other options.

Offline Spacecowboy

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 29, 2014, 02:04 »
The Navy, Nuke program in particular, is cracking down heavily on alcohol related incidents (DUI, underage drinking, etc.) so you're going to have a hell of a ride at best trying to get waivers for a DUI to become a Nuke. If you really want the job however, go for it. The worst that can happen is you go through MEPS and they say no, you get 2 free meals and a hotel stay out of it and another life experience under your belt. Don't take the decision lightly either, the pipeline sucks hardcore (I'm 7 months into my 6 month prototype, entered the program with high interest in learning about splitting atoms and have lost that interest substantially, though I still enjoy my job and look forward to what will come of my time in); think about it hard, figure out if you are indeed ready to go through 2+ years of training and then 4 years in the fleet (with minimal shore time) and if you're willing to take a shot to see if they're open to giving you a chance then go for it, it's not really a huge deal if you get declined - chalk it up to a lesson learned and move on.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: Jun 29, 2014, 09:05 »
The Navy,...

if you're posting for general info it's a contemporary story to read,...

if you're posting for the benefit of the OP, the OP has not returned for ~10 weeks, you're probably not benefiting the OP,...

(sic),...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?