Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Color Deficiency and entering the Navy's Nuclear Power School

Author Topic: Color Deficiency and entering the Navy's Nuclear Power School  (Read 17429 times)

Offline JayStar

• Very Lite User
I'm 17 years old and I'm looking to make the first big decision after high school. Just before I was fully convinced that the Navy Power School is where I wanted to go, I was hit with the fact that color deficiency can completely destroy my chances of becoming a Nuke. I've searched this forum already, and found a few threads that have addressed this problem; however, I haven't been able to find any definitive answers. Many of the posts seem to contradict each other e.g. "any color deficiency will ruin your chances" vs. "as long as you don't have dichromacy or monochromacy." I'm looking for a good answer from someone who knows, or at least a name of someone I can get answers from.

Like many men, I suspect I have Deuteranomaly and a red-green color deficiency (I've never been properly diagnosed), and I've seen on this forum that shouldn't be a problem. My "end game" if you will, is to end up as an operator at some commercial plant. I'd like to get there by going through the Navy because I don't want to take out loans and I know the experience will be extremely helpful in finding a career.

I just got done chatting with a recruiter and he clearly didn't know anything about the topic. After disconnecting from the chat I found, word for word, his exact answer to my question from ask.com. I can answer about half of the plates on the  Pseudoisochromatic Plate Test and fail the rest. I haven't taken any of the other tests and don't know what to expect as a result.

Can anyone provide insight to the matter? I'd really like the chance to go through the Navy's power school, I've already turned down full scholarships with the expectation of going to the Navy. I'm pretty desperate now. If there's any sort of surgery or lenses that can help correct the issue, I'd love to hear about it. Thank you!

Offline nukesquirrel

• Very Lite User
This is straight from the recruiting manual
"a. Color Perception Examination.
MEPS administers the Pseudoisochromatic Plate (PIP) test to all applicants. Those who pass the PIP test (correctly identify 12 of 14 plates) are considered to have acceptable (normal) color perception and qualify for programs requiring normal color perception. Applicants who fail the PIP test are retested using the Farnsworth Lantern Test (FALANT). Applicants who subsequently pass the FALANT are considered to have acceptable (normal) color perception and qualify for programs requiring normal color perception. Applicants who fail both tests are only eligible for enlistment in programs that do not require normal color perception. All applicants will repeat the color perception examination process at RTC. Failure to pass the RTC-administered color perception examination will result in disqualification for programs requiring normal color perception and reclassification into a program for which they are eligible."

What I take from it and what I have experienced. If you fail the color perception exam at MEPS, you are disqualified from all programs requiring normal color perception.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 11:11 by nukesquirrel »

Offline JayStar

• Very Lite User
What I take from it and what I have experienced. If you fail the color perception exam at MEPS, you are disqualified from all programs requiring normal color perception.

Thank you for the thorough quick response.

What constitutes a correct answer? Those panels (for the PIP) seem to have two possible answers. Those for people with normal color perception and what people answer with common red-green color deficiency. I know I would fail it by a large margin if it isn't the latter.  Apparently if you can't answer either of those, you have a more serious color deficiency.

If I fail to show suitable color perception what are my options? I presume a waiver is out the door... Also, what about possible treatments, if any exist? I read about corrective lenses or some sort of surgery.
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2014, 11:21 by JayStar »

Offline nukesquirrel

• Very Lite User
To be honest I'm not sure what constitutes a correct answer. I'm just a nuke not a doctor. Also I do not know if there are any correction procedures, you would have to look into that. Again I'm not a doctor.

Offline JayStar

• Very Lite User
To be honest I'm not sure what constitutes a correct answer. I'm just a nuke not a doctor. Also I do not know if there are any correction procedures, you would have to look into that. Again I'm not a doctor.

Completely understandable. Thank you again for your time. I'll leave this open with the hopes someone else can provide some insight and I'll continue to research. Best regards to you.

Offline synonymousbrain

• Very Lite User
The best way to find out would likely be to go through the enlistment process and take the test at MEPS and discuss the rating opportunities with an NC (job counselor). They will lay everything out on the table for you and tell you all the options. From my personal experience in the Navy and the recruiting manuals, Machinist's Mates and a few other rates can be colorblind.

As always, if you can't get a rating that you'll be content with, you can turn down any offers for enlistment. Sure, you'll get bugged with calls and emails and whatever else they can do to try to get you on the plane to Chicago but you are under no obligation to the military by just having gone to MEPS the first time.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
All you're doing in the first test is looking a page in a book with dots of different colors. On each page there is a number. A correct answer is being able to read the number. Well, that was 20 years ago, things might have changed. I don't know anything about the FALANT.

Offline JayStar

• Very Lite User
The best way to find out would likely be to go through the enlistment process and take the test at MEPS and discuss the rating opportunities with an NC (job counselor).

I have an eye apointment for another issue coming up soon, I will ask as much as I can about my color deficiency then this is what I'm going to do. Follow through with the recruitment process and see what my options are. If I can't get into the power school, then I really don't want to go Navy.

All you're doing in the first test is looking a page in a book with dots of different colors. On each page there is a number. A correct answer is being able to read the number. Well, that was 20 years ago, things might have changed. I don't know anything about the FALANT.

I understand that, but in those tests people with red-green color deficiency see different answers than what the common answer is. If those answers also constitute a right answer I'll be alright, if not, then hopefully I pass the FALANT test which I guess tests for something else, other than just normal color blindness like the PIPs does.

jowlman

I will give you a little cautionary tale from 1980. One of the guys that I went through boot camp with was a nuke that was color blind. They let him enlist, go to boot camp and then in the last week of boot camp told him that he was medically disqualified. The thinking back then was that anyone intelligent enough to qualify as a nuke was highly desireable, and after going all the way through boot camp would be reluctant to just walk away. So they would stay in and pick another job. a win/win for the navy, not so much for the person. so if nuke is the only navy career the you are interested in, be careful.

Offline JayStar

• Very Lite User
I will give you a little cautionary tale from 1980. One of the guys that I went through boot camp with was a nuke that was color blind. They let him enlist, go to boot camp and then in the last week of boot camp told him that he was medically disqualified. The thinking back then was that anyone intelligent enough to qualify as a nuke was highly desireable, and after going all the way through boot camp would be reluctant to just walk away. So they would stay in and pick another job. a win/win for the navy, not so much for the person. so if nuke is the only navy career the you are interested in, be careful.

I definitely worry about this, even if I end up qualifying; (I don't mean to make it sound like it isn't possible but I'd rather not get my hopes up now) what if they make a mistake? Could they retest after signing on and be disqualified? Can they do that? If I qualify once and sign my contract for that job, can they revoke that contract and still keep me in the Navy to do some other shi**tier job?
« Last Edit: Apr 20, 2014, 09:35 by Nuclear NASCAR »

HeavyD

Recent history, given the "right sizing" of the Navy, says that if you were to be disqualified at any point in time or fail out of the pipeline, your contract has a high probability of being cancelled and you being discharged.

Not trying to frighten you, just stating what has been the trend for the last several years.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve!

Offline modex

• Light User
I had an ELT who got through his entire 6-and-out without anyone but me noticing his color blindness. I didn't figure it out until he referred to a submarine sweater as 'green'. Somehow he got past the test at MEPS. Now he's in RO class.

Why not see if you can have a PIP test administered privately?

Offline JayStar

• Very Lite User
Because, I already know I fail the PIPs test. I have it on my phone. My question isn't whether or not I'm color deficient. The question is to what degree is my deficiency and will it inhibit my ability to join the navy. The only other test is the FALANT test which I've never taken.

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
if its worth $400 to you, you can get these glasses and see what happens.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/smart-sunglasses-you-can-buy-right-now#slide-1

In the civilian world you can work in the field but usually electronics and electrician work would be out of the question. Try deciphering an ohm color code on a resistor.
Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

mjperry96

Hello everyone! I'm new to the forum but I thought that this would be worth mentioning since it's a given deal breaker for many people aspiring to be in the Navy's Nuclear Program. In my case, I want to be a Nuclear Propulsion Officer on a submarine, however, after going to the optometrist for DoDMERB, I found that I had a "color deficiency". With that said, there's been quite a lot of stipulation as to whether or not something like a "color deficiency" can be waived. The answer, YES! According to Manual of the Medical Department, U.S. Navy in Chapter 15 under "Nuclear Field Duty", it states that: the guidance for waiver of color perception deficiency has been added. A supervisor statement that the service member can satisfactorily distinguish color differences necessary in his employment is required. Also, for those of you who are wondering, the file is up to date as of April of 2014. The actual amendment was first added to the manual in 2005. Here's a link to chapter 15: http://www.med.navy.mil/directives/Documents/NAVMED%20P-117%20%28MANMED%29/Chapter%2015%20Medical%20Examinations-with%20Changes%20128%2c130%2c135-140%2c%20144%2c%20145%2c%20and%20147.pdf

Offline JayStar

• Very Lite User
The answer, YES! According to Manual of the Medical Department, U.S. Navy in Chapter 15 under "Nuclear Field Duty", it states that: the guidance for waiver of color perception deficiency has been added.

It's a shame I never got an answer to this early. Thank you for the reply, hopefully some people in my situation come across this. However, after going to my recruiter, taking the practice ASVAB, doing extremely well on it, and requesting information about my deficiency, my recruiter has since hidden from me. He hasn't answered my calls, texts or emails. I gave it a month, and tried to call or text again. Nothing. Either he doesn't have the balls to break some bad news or he is simply too lazy to pursue my questions. Either way, I had to make a choice about school or Navy. Given my current information it seemed pursing the Navy was worthless.

Again, thank you for looking into this and hopefully you're able to follow your dreams. My alternative option was never bad, transferring to Platteville for Electrical Engineering this coming spring and I'll be able to graduate with a 4 year degree in about 2.5 years. So, I'll save a few years of working in the navy and still have a lucrative career coming out of school. Granted I'll be in debt instead of coming out ahead, in the end, it won't make too much of a difference considering I'll have the extra 2 years of working at a higher pay. Best of wishes for your future!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?