Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New here, have a question!

Author Topic: New here, have a question!  (Read 4776 times)

Offline edwardauron

• Lurker
New here, have a question!
« on: Apr 12, 2014, 11:51 »
I'd like to thank anyone in advance for their answers.

I tried searching to an answer but I couldn't find anything after about 20 queries.

Have the Navy's nuclear programs went up from 255 -> 260?

I scored a 98 on ASVAB with 256 in NUC, no failed grades in any high school classes along with a year of college classes.
My recruiter wants to me to go ahead and take the NPQT regardless of the scores/education but on the Navy website it says I meet the autoqual already.

Any thoughts?

Also, I got a 259 in OPS? I'm really interested in the Nuclear program but should I possibly consider something in that division instead, if offered?
Thanks for any advice.

Offline Navy Recruiter Nuke MM1

• Very Lite User
Re: New here, have a question!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 05:03 »
From a current active duty Navy recruiter, also a Nuclear Mechanic

The Navy's nuclear score is currently a 252 or higher to be considered an Alpha nuke. A score of 235-251 would be considered a Bravo nuke and would require the NAPT with a qualifying score in order to qualify for the nuclear program. These scores are derived from a combination of your ASVAB line scores. These numbers have not changed since I have been doing this job 2011-present.

Now, if you have a condition that requires you to have to take the NAPT (Bravo nuke scores, time since taking a math class, low math grades in school, etc.) then you need to score above a certain value.  Until recently, that value was 55 on the NAPT. Recently there is an additional requirement that applicants who are no longer in school must score a 60 or higher in order to "pass" the NAPT.  If you are currently a high school senior or in college taking Math classes, your passing score on the NAPT is still a 55.

You certainly meet the Alpha (autoqual) scores for nuke, but depending on your current college classes, you may still be required to take the NAPT. I doubt you will have any trouble with it based on your ASVAB scores. It may be a locally developed requirement to give the NAPT to all applicants who are no longer in high school, regardless of your ASVAB scores and transcripts.

I hope this helps.

Offline Spacecowboy

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 29, 2014, 01:54 »
Honestly, I find it hard to believe they didn't outright offer you a Nuke contract if you qualified from the ASVAB. Perhaps this is due to current issues across all of the prototypes, who knows. Did the detailer at MEPS not tell you that you were qualified for Nuke? Typically they'd want any and all qualified applicants regardless of whether they took a NAPT, from what I can tell.

Personally, I didn't have to take the NAPT as I scored a 96 on the ASVAB (~3 years ago), but that was before the current bottleneck in qualifications at the moment.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 29, 2014, 09:06 »
Honestly,....

if you're posting for general info it's a contemporary story to read,...

if you're posting for the benefit of the OP, the OP has not returned for ~6 weeks, you're probably not benefiting the OP,...

(sic),...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?