Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Safety Officer honeypot

Author Topic: Nuclear Safety Officer  (Read 5079 times)

Offline bigjoemonger

• Light User
Nuclear Safety Officer
« on: Apr 30, 2014, 10:10 »
I'm currently a physics student, but changing to Radiation Health Science: Health Physics with a Nuclear Engineering minor. 

I want to be a Nuclear Materials Safety Officer, making sure places are taking proper safety measure and the like. Maybe one day work for the IAEA, DOE or NRC. 

Is this site for jobs like that, or is it more strictly for power plant workers? I'm a newbie, I've looked around some and all the different job titles are just very confusing.

Any info or advice anybody has to offer would be very helpful, thanks.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Nuclear Safety Officer
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30, 2014, 10:21 »
check your PMs,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: Apr 30, 2014, 10:49 »
Do you have an academic advisor?  If your school has a health physics program, it should have information about all the types of jobs available in that field.  It should also allow you to work at some nuclear facility (commercial, DOE, hospital, whatever) as part of your degree study.

Offline bigjoemonger

• Light User
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2014, 11:26 »
The adviser is not helpful.

I went to talk to her to express my interest in switching majors and to get some questions answered and look at how it would affect my academic plan.  The radiation program has a health physics path and a pre-med(oncology) path and she looked at what I had and said that I had worked everything out for the pre-med program and to go work it out for the correct program and then come back with my questions, and she gave me the "correct" paperwork.  When I got home I looked at the paperwork more closely and realized it was exactly the same as what I had, just in a different format.  It's difficult to trust any answers I get when she doesn't even know about the programs she's supposed to managing. 

In my time in college, at three different schools, I have never had a single adviser that was ever slightly helpful.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2014, 01:04 »
I'm currently a physics student, but changing to Radiation Health Science: Health Physics with a Nuclear Engineering minor. 

I want to be a Nuclear Materials Safety Officer, making sure places are taking proper safety measure and the like. Maybe one day work for the IAEA, DOE or NRC. 

Is this site for jobs like that, or is it more strictly for power plant workers? I'm a newbie, I've looked around some and all the different job titles are just very confusing.

Any info or advice anybody has to offer would be very helpful, thanks.
yes, nukeworker.com has jobs listed for all different types of employment and the nuclear materials safety officer would be one.  another name for that would be radiation safety officer.  best two open the job listing and sa what the job description is, as companies use different titles four the same job function.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline NuclearCowboy17

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 01:28 »

This request is somewhat ambiguous and can really be tied to anything in the nuclear/rad field. For instance in you question "Nuclear Materials Safety Officer", you need to split that down the middle and determine which side you want to focus on Nuclear Materials or Safety Officer. I am not saying they cant be tied together, such as fuel fab facility, but the Material side would be more engineering and the safety more HP. Reconfigure your question to a more specified area and we may be able to better help you.

Cheers!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?