Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Pre employment drug test honeypot

Author Topic: Pre employment drug test  (Read 45084 times)

jack22

Pre employment drug test
« on: May 01, 2014, 07:50 »
Does anyone know if they do a hair follicle drug test for pre employment screening at a nuke plant? I can pass a urine test obviously as I've quit smoking but I probably couldn't pass a hair follicle test as those things go months and months back. I recently moved from California and had a marijuana prescription for back pain but obviously haven't smoked in the past 2 months. do you guys think I'll be alright?

And I don't want a bunch of s**t from you baby boomers calling me a d**khead for smoking pot in the past. I've quit since routine drug testing is common at nuke plants. Just asking if they do a hair follicle test. thanks
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:36 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: Pre employment drug test
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2014, 10:04 »
Does anyone know if they do a hair follicle drug test for pre employment screening at a nuke plant? I can pass a urine test obviously as I've quit smoking but I probably couldn't pass a hair follicle test as those things go months and months back. I recently moved from California and had a marijuana prescription for back pain but obviously haven't smoked in the past 2 months. do you guys think I'll be alright?

Typically No

And I don't want a bunch of s**t from you baby boomers calling me a d**khead for smoking pot in the past. I've quit since routine drug testing is common at nuke plants. Just asking if they do a hair follicle test. thanks

Waving a red flag in front of some of our curmudgeons why would you do that? I hate to tell you this but many of the baby boomers are from a generation before fitness for duty when "better living through chemistry" was more than a slogan.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 07:37 by Nuclear NASCAR »

Offline btkeele

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:01 »

I am just curious as to how you will answer the questions on your PHQ when they ask you about prior drug usage?  You are on here admitting such use, so, I would suggest that if you want to pursue a career in Nuclear
Power that you tell the truth on the PHQ.  If you indicate on said PHQ that you have never been a drug user and
they find out otherwise it will lead to you be denied access for at least a year.  Honesty is the best policy...
Will you be honest?

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 10:03 »
I recently moved from California and had a marijuana prescription for back pain but obviously haven't smoked in the past 2 months. do you guys think I'll be alright?

Sounds like your pre-existing medical condition may cause you to be unable to perform the essential functions of the position description. Might want to consider a different occupation.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 10:21 »
Just asking if they do a hair follicle test. thanks
iffen yet worried about follicles, yins better learn to step closer two the razor. ya can have personal idiosyncrasies sew go bald. totally. and dew knot worry about know stinking follicles.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Content1

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 02:29 »
Sounds like your pre-existing medical condition may cause you to be unable to perform the essential functions of the position description. Might want to consider a different occupation.

You would not be applying if you had back problems now.  If you've given up the stuff go for it.  The PhQ only comes in effect if you have a record somewhere.  If there is a question "Have you ever . . " that should knock out most of the young people and I see plenty at plants somehow.  The real question is, is this the life you want?  Pay has been stagnant for years and unlikely to improve.  They have no problems with compromising safety to get production nowadays, although they claim otherwise.  My usual day consists of 12 hours in an outage with one break for lunch of 15 minutes.  The are turning the workers into drones and the competition will only get worse.  The seasons are short and you really nead some outside income source to survive.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 10:24 »
 The seasons are short and you really nead some outside income source to survive.
cood go too colorado n bee a licensed deeler. probably knead sum seed money, work an outage, bald.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 10:41 by SloGlo »

Offline Reactor1980

• Lurker
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 06:24 »
Not sure where you are now located, or if this applies to you..... But I believe I read somewhere that said Exelon does hair testing for people who want to become full time employees of the company. Not sure if this is accurate, but their website mentions new-hires having to undergo "secondary drug screening" which may be referring to this type of test.

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 10:56 »
Maybe a follicle test is in your future, but for now that 2 months is not good enough.  Urinalysis is getting better.  They would pop you for sure at 2 months, probably in 4, possibly in 6, and still a gamble at a year.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2014, 09:14 »
Maybe a follicle test is in your future, but for now that 2 months is not good enough.  Urinalysis is getting better.  They would pop you for sure at 2 months, probably in 4, possibly in 6, and still a gamble at a year.

I'm going to have to throw the BS Flag on your 6 months to a year. I had always heard 30 to 60 days depending on body fat percentage and regularity of usage.

Scientific lab studies have proven that even for a constant user, daily for 10 years, all testable traces are below standard limits within 67 days. By no means am I condoning the use of a controlled substance or circumventing the rules, as some on here have eluded to. However, I do believe that information provided should be truthful to the best of our knowledge.

"THC in Urine

THC is not found in its active form in urine samples, but rather as the metabolite THC-COOH. The results of urine tests have also been shown to vary greatly from user to user, even in controlled laboratory settings.

For new or infrequent users, the window of time for detection (50ng/ml limit) is believed to last 1 to 2 days.

On the other hand, studies have shown that regular users can test positive (20 ng/ml limit) for THC metabolites for up to 46 consecutive days following marijuana usage. In an extreme case, a heavy cannabis user of more than 10 years was able to test positive (20 ng/ml limit) for up to 67 days after last being exposed to marijuana."

http://www.truthonpot.com/2013/03/28/how-long-does-marijuana-stay-in-your-system/

« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 11:03 by ksheed12 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 11:31 »
Since THC is fat-soluble, it should be discoverable in a blood triglyceride test. Can't beat a Chem24 panel. Time to up the standards!  8)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 02:21 »
You would not be applying if you had back problems now.  If you've given up the stuff go for it.  The PhQ only comes in effect if you have a record somewhere.  If there is a question "Have you ever . . " that should knock out most of the young people and I see plenty at plants somehow.

Admitting to past drug use on your PHQ and MMPI will not keep you from getting UA, failure to disclose will. The key is showing that what is in your past is the old you and you have moved on from that. There are plenty of people in the industry that did some stupid things in the past and learned from their mistakes.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 03:46 »
 [DH]

Offline 61nomad

• Moderate User
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2014, 08:30 »
Not done yet, Mike. Another opinion. FFD is a completely U.S. phenomenom.  What was it's basis? Don't answer SAFETY, it is a facade. If utilities were interested in safety they would do remote heat stress monitoring during cavity decon (the most dangerous evolution in an outage). FFD has migrated to almost all big companies in this country, why?  No other country that I know of has drug and alcohol testing for its nuclear industry (correct me if I am wrong).  It's been a while, but last I heard you could have a beer in your lunchbox in some Euro nukes.  IMO a test that is 99.9% accurate means that 1 out of a 1000 is screwed. I'm done for now.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2014, 07:51 »
  IMO a test that is 99.9% accurate means that 1 out of a 1000 is screwed. I'm done for now.
butt they enjoy it.  ;)

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2014, 09:25 »
Not done yet, Mike. Another opinion. FFD is a completely U.S. phenomenom.  What was it's basis?
(sic)

1. Increase productivity.
2. Save the company money.
3. Increase the market competitiveness of the company.

IMO a test that is 99.9% accurate means that 1 out of a 1000 is screwed. I'm done for now.

I think your math may be off. ;)

Offline blackb3lt

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Aug 15, 2014, 08:50 »
I've worked security for exelon for 9 years now.  I've never seen a follicle test performed.  The secondary screening probably refers to the sample they send back to the lab for a more detailed and comprehensive test than the on-site 5 panel test. 

I would seriously consider being honest about your past use.  In Illinois you must disclose a medical marijuana prescription whether you intend on taking the medicine or not.  Also be prepared to have frequent random screenings if you do document past drug use.  Good Luck. 

Offline Brett LaVigne

• Very Heavy User
  • This aggression will not stand, man.
« Reply #17 on: Aug 18, 2014, 02:49 »
  Also be prepared to have frequent random screenings if you do document past drug use.  Good Luck. 

Frequent...random...that's funny!
I Heart Hippie Chicks!!!

Content1

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2015, 11:16 »
Not done yet, Mike. Another opinion. FFD is a completely U.S. phenomenom.  What was it's basis? Don't answer SAFETY, it is a facade. If utilities were interested in safety they would do remote heat stress monitoring during cavity decon (the most dangerous evolution in an outage). FFD has migrated to almost all big companies in this country, why?  No other country that I know of has drug and alcohol testing for its nuclear industry (correct me if I am wrong).  It's been a while, but last I heard you could have a beer in your lunchbox in some Euro nukes.  IMO a test that is 99.9% accurate means that 1 out of a 1000 is screwed. I'm done for now.

Canada it is a violation of privacy to take a test.

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 06:03 »

Frequent and random are not mutually exclusive.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Belcher

« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2015, 03:23 »

Make a try i think you will be clear with no problem. Sitting here asking what will happen is not a better choice.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2015, 09:53 »

Maybe it's like Dungeons and Dragons you get dice with fewer sides to throw.  ;)

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 11:44 »
Maybe it's like Dungeons and Dragons you get dice with fewer sides to throw.  ;)

ROFL ROFL [stir]
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 11:50 »
   ROFL ROFL [stir]

Never played the game abut I think I recognize the guys in the picture.  :P

Content1

« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2015, 02:21 »

Remember the Shaft theme, "Don't do the crime if you can't do  the time . . ."  Just because you suddenly reform doesn't mean you won't go back.  That is why power plants check, it is not baby-boomer judgment coming down on you.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2015, 08:42 »
Remember the Shaft theme, "Don't do the crime if you can't do  the time . . ."  

Actually, that was sung by Sammy Davis Jr. for the show "Baretta", and....well...we can see what that lifestyle did for Robert Blake's future career and life path  :P
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:45 by HydroDave63 »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?