Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Obtaining Your Nuclear Rating of Choice

Author Topic: Obtaining Your Nuclear Rating of Choice  (Read 23996 times)

GoWest

Re: Obtaining Your Nuclear Rating of Choice
« Reply #25 on: Aug 28, 2014, 12:19 »
Good analysis. My anecdotal experience is that each rating has a solid distribution of really smart people to dumbasses (relatively speaking). ETs tend to be a little sharper than EMs who are sharper than MMs, but not to an extreme margin. You will probably find the smartest and most academic are the ETs, but many mechanics are smarter than ETs and EMs as well.

To me, this (obviously anecdotal experience) makes a lot of sense. You don't want to have the only smart people be ETs and the dumb people MMs. There is also a little game theory going on. People who think they are relatively smart, but don't want to risk going MM often choose EM even though they really would like to be ETs. And some people love the idea of being a mechanic.

GoWest

« Reply #26 on: Aug 28, 2014, 12:22 »
ELT is not a rate,...

It is a calling,...

ELT is not annointed, ELT is earned,...

Well,....it used to be,...now it's a new Navy,...

the new US Army is handing out berets to anybody who can wear one,...

and the new NNPP is bestowing ELT on anybody who can walk and chew gum simultaneously (AIUI),...

is not "equal outcomes" a glorious result in and of itself?!?!?!? [sarcasm]

ELT is a disorder. And if you've found an ELT who is smart enough to walk and chew gum simultaneously, you've probably found the elusive ELT who is smart enough not to drink a primary or secondary coolant sample on a dare.

Offline PercMastaFTW

• Light User
« Reply #27 on: Sep 13, 2014, 10:16 »
Yeah, GoWest, I've noticed that as well with a higher distribution etc. Met a bunch of ET's who are able to study only 3 hours a week, and here I am studying 30 hours a week to just get a few extra points higher haha.

And congrats craeeg! ET's suck!!!  [bad mood]

Also, I've found a little bit more information...

Sometimes it can be EXTREMELY random. I met some nukes from a division who sneaked into their "shark tank" at basic and looked at the rating sheet, only to find out they were listed in alphabetical order: "ET, EM, ET, EM, ET, EM, MM, MM, MM, MM...."

I've also met an ET who chose ET as his third choice...

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
  • Living, loving, seeing, reading & doing.
« Reply #28 on: Apr 18, 2015, 09:48 »
My son (in boot camp now) made his selections as follows: MM, EM, ET. They rated him ET. We were told his scores were super high, but now that I am learning more, I see that yah, they were definitely high!  [clap]

He is pretty humble about that stuff though, not putting a lot of stock in standardized testing, so I also wonder if that played any part of the decision, a smart guy who doesn't care how smart he is...

He really did want MM, and was so excited when he learned about the ELT option (I think in his 2nd or 3rd week of boot camp).

Whatever system the Navy uses, it will forever remain a mystery...  [sherlock] Why bother trying to figure out something you have no control over.  ???  The government owns you now, and they will make all decisions for you for the next 6 years and will have influence on them for another 2 beyond that.  [spank]
Mom to Nuke, Mom to Jayhawk, Wound/Ostomy Care RN at the VA Hospital

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #29 on: Apr 18, 2015, 10:17 »
Sorry no one told you his scores are superhigh. Keep it factual ok?
The navy chooses as it chooses. Scores have nothing to do with it.

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
« Reply #30 on: Apr 18, 2015, 11:09 »
Well, RERUN. You are an instigator. Popping in to spit some mad fire, eh. You are wrong. The recruiter actually did say "oh my gosh dude your scores are super high." Notice that I placed those words in quotations. Um, because it's a direct quote. Please do not [stir] because you will most definitely be [spank] by this momma bear.

I wonder from your post, which seemed pretty insecure... did you think I was trying to brag? Hold on, let me get on this box...
 [soap]
My son would be embarrassed and even disappointed if I were to ever "brag" about anything he has done or is capable of doing. He doesn't like any kind of attention at all, good or bad, and because I respect him, I don't do it. You just happened to witness my surprise in the realization that yah, I guess his scores were high.

I had read through the OP, and all the replies, and know what his scores were... which is why I decided to share my  [2cents]

Because my son wanted MM, a rate that commenters have suggested is the "lower" rate...I was defending that MM was a preferred rate choice for some, not just something that they get "stuck with." MM in this case was a first choice for someone who supposedly had "higher scores" on the standardized testing.

I am completely new to the whole Navy or even military thing, and do not claim to know anything about it, but I DO know my own experiences with it and have enough working memory left in this old brain to recall a direct quotation.  :old:

Now, RERUN... time to soul search for an answer... With regards to your little squeak reply, what is your point?  :notrolls:   [oops]

I have bread, let's get some peanut butter. It seems to me that you are jelly... aren't you? So I think you can go make me a sammich... 
 [jerry]

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #31 on: Apr 18, 2015, 11:34 »
You are a parent. Not a nuke and not qualified to make any statement about the school outside your son is in it. Neither of
You are qualified nukes therefore your only statements should be questions and thank you sir when they are answered.
As a non nuke you should never be answering any question here. Note it's nukeworker not parent of nukeworker.
Recruiters tell all recruits that. Keep in mind it is his job to pretty much lie..
As for my quals I was top in my A school class, top at NPS, top at prototype, top ELT, Navy instructor, top in my NLO and RO classes as a civilian and top in two Senior Reactor Operator class and now run a training program for 7 fossil units. In other words I have been there and done that.
So please stick to asking questions and not answering or offering opinions or advice.
You are not qualified to do so.

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
« Reply #32 on: Apr 18, 2015, 11:55 »
First of all, where is my sammich rerun. Secondly, are you confused? Delusional? Should I refresh your brain about what I posted? The ONLY post I made, prior to your 1 cents' worth of commentary, was this--oh and I quote...

"My son (in boot camp now) made his selections as follows: MM, EM, ET. They rated him ET. We were told his scores were super high, but now that I am learning more, I see that yah, they were definitely high! He is pretty humble about that stuff though, not putting a lot of stock in standardized testing, so I also wonder if that played any part of the decision, a smart guy who doesn't care how smart he is... He really did want MM, and was so excited when he learned about the ELT option (I think in his 2nd or 3rd week of boot camp). Whatever system the Navy uses, it will forever remain a mystery... Why bother trying to figure out something you have no control over. The government owns you now, and they will make all decisions for you for the next 6 years and will have influence on them for another 2 beyond that."

So, tell me, OH GREAT ONE...
1) what statement did I make about the nuke school?
2) can you read? My son is not in nuke school. He is in boot camp.
3) I did have a question. My question was "I wonder if that played any part in the decision" and I was seeking answers and opinions on that.
4) I will now try to remember to call you Sir.
5) I didn't say the recruiter told the truth, nor that I believed him. FACT: I said what we were told. FACT: I have seen other scores that have been regarded as high, and comparatively my son's were higher.
6) Who asked you your quals. Distinguishing your "superiority" just makes new users like me feel dismissed, and unworthy of interaction. I don't feel that I am inferior, or that I am superior. I have the same rights, hopes, and dreams that many newcomers here have.
7) I declared with transparent authenticity, that I know NOTHING about this whole Navy thing, or even the military. I openly and with integrity intact, admitted that I ONLY know what I have experienced. I didn't even suggest that my experienced reality was similar to or consistent with anyone else's reality or what they will or have experienced... so um, basically, neener neener neener.
8) I will offer my opinion as often as I like. I am sort of badass that way, and I am super tall, which makes me sort of like an Amazon woman from the moon.
9) I never stated, suggested, implied, or though that I have qualification to answer anyone's Nuke, Navy, or military questions, and I have refrained from doing so because of that.

And finally, as if that wasn't enough, here are my closing questions/comments/opinions....
1) Thank you for volunteering to serve our country. I am humbled and grateful.
2) I am officially resigning from adulthood. Decisions will be made using the eenie-meenie-miney-moe method, and arguments will be settled by sticking out my tongue.

Now, in the words of Jim Rome... "Reaction?"
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2015, 12:25 by NukeJayhawkMom »

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #33 on: Apr 19, 2015, 12:01 »
When I served my oath never limited my service to allowing the non ignorant to voice their opinion so I guess you are good.
You babble about that which you do not know which is the hallmark of insecurity and again your comments should be limited to questions not advice or opinions as you have no basis for either .

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
« Reply #34 on: Apr 19, 2015, 12:07 »
so you see my tongue sticking out here, am I right?

And isn't mjb687 the brown dwarf star with no planets?

Hmmm. Neat.

Anyway, seems like you are making quite the contribution to the OP questions. Great job.  [sarcasm]

Addendum: for the record, I am EXTREMELY insecure. Like I said, I know NOTHING about the Navy thing, and it now owns the man that I helped to raise. The mysteries of the Navy and military life are daunting, and yes, they own him for at least the next 6 years, therefore completely dismissing the last nearly 21 years that I have spent helping to manage him.
And lastly, did you mean to call me "non ignorant?" Haha. That is a terrific insult, I will take it. :)
« Last Edit: Apr 19, 2015, 12:11 by NukeJayhawkMom »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #35 on: Apr 19, 2015, 12:19 »
On the 1MC:

" 4. Please learn to be respectful, tolerate and support each other.  NukeWorker.com's goal is to help others, not see how many people we can annoy. Do not initiate arguments or tension. This will only cause the triggering of other members and make this site less professional. "

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,4700.0.html

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
« Reply #36 on: Apr 19, 2015, 12:22 »
Got it. Sorry. Rerun, I am sorry, I got a little heated and I didn't really mean those snarky comments. I was just being mean spirited and I will work on being more open to critique. No sarcasm whatsoever, I really am sorry. I will edit my commentary.  [quit]

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #37 on: Apr 19, 2015, 12:23 »
I am being nice !
Just hate fountains of disinformation and you know non quals blurting out stuff does the industry no good!
Did that girl email you ?

Offline Nuke Jayhawk Mom

• Light User
« Reply #38 on: Apr 19, 2015, 12:27 »
Rerun, I think he was calling ME out, not you. He referenced #4 which I assume was the nasty mean-spirited comment I made about calling me Sir. Again, I am sorry. I didn't mean it. I was just looking for an argument.

Offline Rerun

• Heavy User
« Reply #39 on: Apr 19, 2015, 12:29 »
No need to apologize as the only people who I ever acknowledge an apology from are those who I consider my equals either technically or professionally and you are not currently nor will you ever be either. So save it for those who care about that stuff.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?