Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Enlistment at MEPS honeypot

Author Topic: Enlistment at MEPS  (Read 4077 times)

Offline Custom II

• Lurker
Enlistment at MEPS
« on: May 13, 2014, 05:11 »
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a little while. There's a lot of great info to find!!

I've searched for an answer to the following question, but either I don't know where to look, or my google-fu is weak. That said, I'm 21, and in the process for enlisting into the Navy's nuclear program, as an enlisted man. Along the way, my recruiter has been telling me that I will be officially recruiting at MEPS, but also calls it the DEP. I'm confused...

What happens at MEPS, contract wise? Is it DEP, that can be walked away from, or are you hitched for good? I'm not having second thoughts about the Navy, but I want to know when I will become government property.

FWIW, I scored a 93 on my ASVAB, and pre qualified for the program. I don't need any waivers other than for my glasses, and have stayed out of trouble.

Thanks!

Offline ChiefRocscooter

• Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
Re: Enlistment at MEPS
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 05:27 »
I answered this once before so rather than give you the answer I will tell you to look my past posts and you will get your answer.  Good luck.

PS I was a recruiter and though it was a while back the answer is still valid based on conversations I have had.
Being adept at being adaptable I look forward to every new challenge!

Offline Navy Recruiter Nuke MM1

• Very Lite User
Re: Enlistment at MEPS
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 06:27 »
This is a quick snapshot of your process.

First you will fill out all application "kit" docs with your recruiter at the local recruiting station. Since you are considering the Nuke program, your recruiter will also have to attain your official school transcripts as well as police record checks for you.
Then he/she will coordinate with the Military Entrance Processing Station (MEPS) to arrange for you to process.  While at MEPS you will take the ASVAB (if not taken yet) and go through a complete medical examination.  Upon clearing the physical portion and as long as no waivers are required you will move on to see the job classifier. As long as you qualify for Nuke, and as long as the recruiters have gathered all the documents you need, you will be able to sign a contract for the Nuclear Power Program.  You will swear in at the MEPS which starts your Individual Readiness Reserve (IRR) time and begins your time in the Delayed Entry Program (DEP). It's called Delayed Entry because it is rare that anyone signs a contract and ships off to Boot immediately. The shortest I have seen in the last 3 years is 2 weeks and that was at the sailor's request.
You will be in this program for 6-9months, depending on your contracted job. Nukes tend to be on the longer side of that window due to the added security checks that must be complete prior to shipping.
While in DEP, your recruiting station should hold training and PT sessions throughout the month, though I'm aware that many recruiters aren't holding theses sessions as often as they should.  During this time, you may be released from your contract for many reasons, such as new civil violations, being out of ht/wt/bf standards, you ask to reclassify and it is approved (you get a new contract, though reclassifying FROM nuke is near impossible), or you simply refuse to obligate to your current contract.  I don't recommend refusing to obligate for 2 reasons. 1) It is a major pain in the ass and a waste of precious time for the recruiter when one of the applicants they've been working with decides to back out last minute and 2) it may cause some difficulty down the road as far as future enlistment in any branch of service or other repercussions that I am not fully aware of.

I hope this clears up some of your confusion.

MM1

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?