Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Not interested in working in Control Room

Author Topic: Not interested in working in Control Room  (Read 9286 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Not interested in working in Control Room
« on: May 17, 2014, 06:00 »
Okay, I was reading a job posting for an NLO position and came across this line:

Preference for applicants who view this entry-level position as an opportunity to progress into licensing training for RO and SRO roles

I have no desire to ever work in the control room.  Does that mean I should rule out getting into operations?  Or are there utilities that are willing to let you stay at the NLO level?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:14 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re: Not interested in working in Control Room
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 06:16 »
dam unc, that topic has been covered a bunch of times, a course you were overseas in a north tropics village during a lot of those threads,...

(sic)

I surmise that if you want to avoid the expectation of eventually moving up into the control room you need to apply for the I&C, maintenance and other tech positions,...

otherwise, in your interview you may either state a falsehood you have no real intention of pursuing (not your style) or you will be straight up front about perceived career goals and likely be deselected from the pool of qualified applicants,...

of course there are still the pool of folks on the boards you can PM for that insight,...

aka "the usual suspects",...

ETD!!!!

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 06:36 »
most places don't like it if you don't go into the CR.  one of the main reasons I got out of ops.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 06:58 »
dam unc, that topic has been covered a bunch of times...

I was 99% sure I'd read it, but there are a bazillion related threads, so figured it was easier to just ask again.

Operator threads now = bazillion + 1...and I can quit trying to find the one I was looking for!  ;)

Thanks!  :)

...and...who knows...now that there is a thread that specifically says 'No Control Rooms Wanted', maybe I'll save a few others from having to dig through all those random threads...because I did read every thread title in this section (and a good portion of the threads themselves) before I gave up and posted...

Also, just because I read it from one poster, that doesn't mean it's true for all utilities...so...maybe asking the question directly will get me information about a utility that WILL let me work as an NLO until I retire!  :)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 07:19 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 07:11 »
Oh...a hint for anyone interested in Operations work, but not control room work.  Try looking at the DOE sites.

This info based on discussions with various operators at INL.  YMMV.  Good luck.  :)

modified for spelling
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 09:24 by UncaBuffalo »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 07:53 »
I was 99% sure I'd read it, but there are a bazillion related threads, so figured it was easier to just ask again.

Operator threads now = bazillion + 1...and I can quit trying to find the one I was looking for!  ;)....

ahhh, the old "non-numerical vague quantifier" + 1,...

...and...who knows...now that there is a thread that specifically says 'No Control Rooms Wanted', maybe I'll save a few others from having to dig through all those random threads...because I did read every thread title in this section (and a good portion of the threads themselves) before I gave up and posted...

U2funny,...

...Also, just because I read it from one poster, that doesn't mean it's true for all utilities...so...maybe asking the question directly will get me information about a utility that WILL let me work as an NLO until I retire!  :)[/size]

datzawhy we toss out da-ole' PM caveat,....

...of course there are still the pool of folks on the boards you can PM for that insight,...

aka "the usual suspects",...

and the (sic),...(italics optional),... :P ;) :) 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 08:01 »

datzawhy we toss out da-ole' PM caveat,....

But if I PM'd the usual suspects then only I would know the answer.  If I ask in the open forum, then others can learn, too.  Right?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 08:09 »
But if I PM'd the usual suspects then only I would know the answer.  If I ask in the open forum, then others can learn, too.  Right?

you post all you've learned in the open forums after you got your job,...

those young'uns will do the same work for half of your rate,...

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 08:25 »
you post all you've learned in the open forums after you got your job,...

those young'uns will do the same work for half of your rate,...

I guess I was assuming that most of the jobs had a set rate, so I wouldn't get caught in a bidding war. 

And, I also assumed that my combination of experience & education would make me a strong enough candidate that I didn't need to be too scared of competition, so...everyone is welcome to any information that I might receive.

:)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 08:51 »
I guess I was assuming that most of the jobs had a set rate, so I wouldn't get caught in a bidding war....

at a utility?,...reckon so,...at least at the union shops,...

Oh...a hint for anyone interest in Operations work, but not control room work.  Try looking at the DOE sites.....

at DOE?!?!?

I dunno so much,...

somebody else will have to pipe in,...

...And, I also assumed that my combination of experience & education would make me a strong enough candidate that I didn't need to be too scared of competition, so...everyone is welcome to any information that I might receive.....

with the aging workforce model probably so,...

I'm mostly just funnin' ya,...

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

mostly,.... [coffee]
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 08:52 by GLW »

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 08:09 »
I have worked for three utilities.  Even with your experiance advantage, you would not make it past the interviews telling them you had no interest of being in the control room.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 12:18 »
I surmise that if you want to avoid the expectation of eventually moving up into the control room you need to apply for the I&C, maintenance and other tech positions,...

most places don't like it if you don't go into the CR.  one of the main reasons I got out of ops.

I have worked for three utilities.  Even with your experiance advantage, you would not make it past the interviews telling them you had no interest of being in the control room.

Thanks!  :)

Offline twidgetnuke

• Lurker
« Reply #12 on: Aug 26, 2014, 11:19 »
At my plant the majority of the non-licensed operators don't want to get licensed. Some of the younger ones apply for license school. Most never want to get licensed, and management seems to be content with that; they just hire people off the street for license classes.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?