Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Resurrecting I&C Career - Help Me Brainstorm honeypot

Author Topic: Resurrecting I&C Career - Help Me Brainstorm  (Read 9186 times)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Resurrecting I&C Career - Help Me Brainstorm
« on: May 17, 2014, 07:51 »
Here's the background: 
    -2 years experience as I&C tech at commercial plant.
    -bachelors in electronics technology
    -15+ years other nuclear experience (RP related)

Obstacles:
    -out of I&C for almost 4 years.
    -degree is 8 years old, so very rusty on electronics.

When I got out, there seemed to be lots of plants hiring.  Now...not so much...and the ones that are seem to want more experience than I have, so...  I need to figure out how to get more experience.  Avenues I am already thinking about are:
    -outage I&C work
    -valve tech work
    -non-nuclear I&C
Are there any other paths that I should be looking at?

Also, are there any electronics study courses (online or otherwise) that I should be taking to both renew my knowledge and prove to potential employers that I am serious?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!   :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Resurrecting I&C Career - Help Me Brainstorm
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 09:23 »
Where, geographically, do you desire to work?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 10:28 »
check your PMs

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 10:57 »
Where, geographically, do you desire to work?

Between Portland & the coast would be optimal.  Any chance they are going to rebuild Trojan?  ;)

Seriously, I'd prefer to stay out West, but there are individual plants throughout the rest of the country that are acceptable options.
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2014, 05:57 »
Here's the background: 
    -2 years experience as I&C tech at commercial plant.
    -bachelors in electronics technology
    -15+ years other nuclear experience (RP related)

Obstacles:
    -out of I&C for almost 4 years.
    -degree is 8 years old, so very rusty on electronics.

When I got out, there seemed to be lots of plants hiring.  Now...not so much...and the ones that are seem to want more experience than I have, so...  I need to figure out how to get more experience.  Avenues I am already thinking about are:
    -outage I&C work
    -valve tech work

-non-nuclear I&C
Are there any other paths that I should be looking at?

Also, are there any electronics study courses (online or otherwise) that I should be taking to both renew my knowledge and prove to potential employers that I am serious?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks!   :)

There are LOTS of outage I&C and Valve Tech positions out there, so that's what I ended up doing...

:)

Offline ddickey

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Sep 25, 2014, 05:48 »
Would love to do that type of work as well.

Chimera

« Reply #6 on: Sep 25, 2014, 06:21 »
Back in the startup days at Clinton, one of the I&C Techs left to work at one of Illinois Power's dirt burners.  He stated that he was never happier - plenty of work without two tons of paperwork, five procedures and everyone looking over his shoulder.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Sep 25, 2014, 07:36 »
Would love to do that type of work as well.

Time it better than I did...  I waited a few weeks too late and didn't get as much work...or as much training...out of the fall outage season as I might have if I'd sent out resumes in mid-summer.  If you are thinking about going on the road for spring outage season, I'd start talking to the recruiters every week from about Thanksgiving on...

Good luck!   :)

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #8 on: Sep 25, 2014, 07:40 »
Back in the startup days at Clinton, one of the I&C Techs left to work at one of Illinois Power's dirt burners.  He stated that he was never happier - plenty of work without two tons of paperwork, five procedures and everyone looking over his shoulder.

At some point, I hope to settle down at one of the mills close to the house.  I can see the appeal of ditching the procedures and paper...and just doing the work.

But, all the house jobs seem to want 5+ years of experience, so looks like it's be nukes for a few more years.

Fortunately, I still enjoy the road, so...

:)

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?