Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Charleston or New York? honeypot

Author Topic: Charleston or New York?  (Read 11170 times)

ET3Workman

Charleston or New York?
« on: Dec 12, 2004, 01:56 »
So I'm about 3 months away from graduating power school, and pretty soon I gotta decide what my preference for prototype is gonna be. I was hoping maybe I could get some advice and some pros and cons of each. I'm leaning toward New York...

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
Re: Charleston or New York?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2004, 09:03 »
I went to NPTU in New York.  I also live in New York State now.  It is a beautiful place, but it snows tons.  If you're going to be there in the summer, I'd pick NY because Charleston can get pretty hot and sticky that time of year.  You'll get enough of that inside the plant.

Secondly, I understand that the Charleston prototypes consist of a couple of decommisioned boomers with S3G/S5W power units.  Since those are all but a memory in the fleet, I would rather learn on something that is a little closer to the current technology.  S8G is as close as it gets, and that is a quarter century old.

Whichever you get, best of luck to you.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

CharlieRock

« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2004, 10:48 »
Since you'll be graduating in about March, I'd say go for NY.  I was a student in NY (MARF) and staff in SC (NPS).  The Saratoga area is gorgeous in the Spring and Summer.  Not to say Charleston isn't pretty nice also but I was never fond of the 100 degree/110% humidity in late spring and summer.  As to NPTU preparing you for the Fleet - forget that aspect.  First, no matter if you're a Sub Vol or not, 50% of all students are going Surface. That's just the numbers.  Over 50% of enlisted nukes are surface guys, so 50% of students are going that way.  There are NO surface prototypes left.  Second, NY has 2 prototypes - only one of which bears any resemblance to a Fleet unit.  Even S8G prototype has some big differences from the Trident boats.  Don't let the idea of 'prepping' for the Fleet sway you.

kwicslvr

« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2004, 05:51 »
Definately NY.  You'll love it.  Even during winter.   It's a pretty fun party town year around.

taterhead

« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2004, 07:15 »
This seems pretty simple.  You are in SC now.  If you like it/don't want to move, then stay-

If you want a change, go for it. 

I did 635 at NPTU.  No regrets, but then again, I am a southerner.

ETNuclearSailor

« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2004, 08:27 »
I'm in Ballston Spa right now. There are nice woods, small towns, lots of outdoors stuff to do. There is also track season. I hate all of that. I hate it here. The only benefit to being here is the closeness to my family and friends in Philadelphia. I left a lot of civillian friends in SC, and regret that. I'm also on hold for STA 21, which means I get to hang here for the middle of winter. If you're considering SPU, realize that you will be here for some of the harshest winters available in the U.S. I'd take the summer heat over the winter cold any day of the week.

delkinto

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12, 2004, 10:23 »
After freezing my baby nuke ass off in Idaho Falls and Great Lakes back in the days of wooden reactors, it was easy to do five years out of Charleston.  If you like white stuff, don't eat the yellow snow.

kwicslvr

« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2004, 05:34 »
I'm in Ballston Spa right now. There are nice woods, small towns, lots of outdoors stuff to do. There is also track season. I hate all of that. I hate it here. The only benefit to being here is the closeness to my family and friends in Philadelphia. I left a lot of civillian friends in SC, and regret that. I'm also on hold for STA 21, which means I get to hang here for the middle of winter. If you're considering SPU, realize that you will be here for some of the harshest winters available in the U.S. I'd take the summer heat over the winter cold any day of the week.
LOL.  Harshest winters in US.  That's funny.  Saratoga is mild compared to a large majority of winters elsewhere.

Flooznie

« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2004, 05:52 »
My time at prototype in Charleston was absolutely miserable.  I really wanted to kill myself when I was stationed there.  As soon as I left that place, things got much better for me.  Everyone that went to NY for prototype says they loved it up there.  So, I'd go with NY.

ET1 (SS)

oldtimer

« Reply #9 on: Dec 15, 2004, 12:32 »
Yes, You are right it gets cold in Saratoga. I qualified there in spring of 1966. Liked it so much that was my home for ten years after getting out of the Nav, worked for GE and MK, refueling DIG & S3G, and putting the initial core load into MARF. Good trout fishing and hunting. Go for it.

Offline sefrick

• Light User
  • “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any
« Reply #10 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:17 »
What do I know, I'm a New York state resident. I went to New York and loved it of course. I was there from September to March, you'll be there from March until September so you won't (maybe) have to deal with any snow. Summers there are great, especially with the horse race season. If you qualify quickly you may even have more liberty to enjoy the season. Either way, if the schedule is still the same as it was when I went thru, you will have one four day weekend every month. Also it is nice being within 2 1/2 hours of NYC.

Now the flip side, you're already in Charleston. Is there anything there that you think that you have missed out on and need more time to explore. If not explore something new.
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I serv

RCLCPO

« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2004, 02:54 »
Funny............when I was In Idaho (for over 3 years), and during winter the high of the day was below zero for 3 weeks straight, I thought NY would be paradise by comparison.  EVERY winter season we'd get students getting frostbite, too.

Offline sefrick

• Light User
  • “I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any
« Reply #12 on: Dec 20, 2004, 01:54 »
Hah...memories. I was a winter student in NY at the S8G plant, Sept 97- Mar 98. One night during swings we got a pretty heavy dusting. It was a case of mistaken identidy but I managed to beam and instructor with a snowball from about 20 yards. Nailed him right in the head, HARD! 10 seconds later I turned around to a very angry ET1 who exclaimed, "MYRICK, WTF!!" I heard from the LCC the next day and for some reason I went dinq for about 2 weeks. Thank God he didn't sit my board, I probably wouldn't be here. New York was great!!
“I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I serv

HarleyNukeWife

« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2005, 01:41 »
Hi

Hopefully we are heading to NY soon.  Home for us though.  Most guys I have talked with if they are from south of the mason-dixon line hate ballston spa, primarily b/c of the snow.  I have heard that guys from cities don't like it either b/c it's quiet.  Try top view each area you head to as a new opportunity, and make the best of it while you are there.  My hub and I have been doing this dance for almost 9 years, and if we didn't make the best of things wherever we were it would be a dayum miserable life.

Good luck to you.

kwicslvr

« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2005, 09:40 »
Hi

Hopefully we are heading to NY soon.  Home for us though.  Most guys I have talked with if they are from south of the mason-dixon line hate ballston spa, primarily b/c of the snow.  I have heard that guys from cities don't like it either b/c it's quiet.  Try top view each area you head to as a new opportunity, and make the best of it while you are there.  My hub and I have been doing this dance for almost 9 years, and if we didn't make the best of things wherever we were it would be a dayum miserable life.

Good luck to you.
LOL.  This is funny because I was definately the exception to what you said.  I was born and raised in Houston, TX but I absolutely loved being up in Saratoga for 4 years.

tjm807

« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2005, 06:11 »
Im originally from NJ so cold winters didnt bother me much. I absolutely LOVED upstate NY. I was up there married with a kid and had 2 single roomies on Lake Sacandaga. ON the lake front. Snowmobiling on the lake when its frozen a few feet thick. MUCH better food especially pizza and the wings. NOTHING beats NY pizza!!! Its all a woodsy kind of setting with hilly winding roads of gorgeous montains. Get some guys together and go get some hiking gear and go summit a few mountains while you are there. My buddy summited 3 peaks on our 4 day off schedule. Cant beat the mountain biking. Played paintball in the woods behind housing in the "bowl". Roller hockey on the roller hockey rink in housing everyday for months when we had the daylight to play in. Go on road trips to Boston, NYC, Philly, Acadia National park in Maine, drive through the mountains during the fall. There is TONS to do there! I liked walking around downtown Charleston even had family friends there. Went to the beach, went to Myrtle Beach for a weekend. None of that came close to the fun I had in NY at S8G and in town. In the spring they have street parties in down town Ballston Spa with musicians in the streets and shops open late. Go to the Saratoga Springs Racetrack and bet on some horses in the summer. Go see some concerts at SPAC. Go for a walk on the trails at the park north of SPAC. I did all of this while up there for prototype and ELT school. Interiewed for SPU as MM being second person to qualify out of S8G and MARF in my class. Didnt get it but glad to get ELT and was pushed big time by Drury to not to go SPU as ELT. I would have loved 2 more years up there. Would take a civilian job there in a heartbeat. Anyone know how to get a job there with Bettis? If you get the list and see owners Zubals place for rent and have enough people to split the 5 bedrooms on the lake with 2 car garage with the Adirondack mountains and lake Sacandaga out your back window. TAKE IT!!! Dont even wait to get up there. Send deposit from Charleston. The place is gorgeous! Email me if you want even more info on the place. Hell I did all that while driving down to parents place in NJ every 3-4 day weekends!

TJ

FTN807

shayne

« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2005, 04:10 »
Saratoga was not as cold and I didn't see as much snow there as I saw at Idaho as a student.

I loved the Saratoga Prototype.  4 years there as a staff instuctor at S8G was my best time in the Navy. 

Secondly, I understand that the Charleston prototypes consist of a couple of decommisioned boomers with S3G/S5W power units.  Since those are all but a memory in the fleet, I would rather learn on something that is a little closer to the current technology.  S8G is as close as it gets, and that is a quarter century old.

I never made it to SC, however I believe most of the Navy nuclear power new technology systems are tested at MARF or S8G.  S8G was always testing new technology, from the new reactor core to advanced pressure control systems.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?