Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu ASVAB to Bootcamp to A school Timeline

Author Topic: ASVAB to Bootcamp to A school Timeline  (Read 11052 times)

Offline Adamdg51

• Light User
ASVAB to Bootcamp to A school Timeline
« on: May 19, 2014, 11:13 »
Ive read nearly every post on the forums and appreciate every bit of information you guys have to contribute. One of the things I felt was left out was: How long after taking your ASVAB, signing papers, doing whatever you have to do to get in the Navy, do you actually ship to bootcamp? And this is asking from a nuke perspective.

Also, When in the series of schools you attend, do you attend Sub school?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Offline DadofMM-ELT

• Light User
Re: ASVAB to Bootcamp to A school Timeline
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 03:46 »
Ive read nearly every post on the forums and appreciate every bit of information you guys have to contribute. One of the things I felt was left out was: How long after taking your ASVAB, signing papers, doing whatever you have to do to get in the Navy, do you actually ship to bootcamp? And this is asking from a nuke perspective.

Timing is left out because it varies wildly. DEP can last up to a year (I think). Our son's lasted about 10 months as I recall. Sometimes someone ahead of you washes out for some reason and you get to go sooner than you were told. You may also encounter "holds" of varying lengths at each step in the pipeline.

Nukes don't go to Sub School.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 03:50 by DadofFutureNuke »

Offline Tishnuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 01:03 »

Like the post above DEP lasts up to 12 months. I just signed my papers last friday. Ship out mid October. No sub school, only A School, Power, and then Prototype. Any other questions PM me and I will try my best to answer.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2014, 05:17 »
I had a pretty much "worst case scenario". I spent 13 months on DEP, and 4 months in bootcamp (med hold), and then another month waiting to class up in A school. I haven't heard of longer, but the process seems a standard "wait a couple months in dep, go to bootcamp for 2 months, and then A school a couple weeks later".  Nukes wait longer in DEP because of class rotation. I was able to go in earlier, but I made an extra 12,000$ (18,000$ vs 6,000$) sign on bonus for joining the next feb instead of the august.

Offline Adamdg51

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2014, 01:56 »

Nukes don't go to Sub School.

so i can just go and serve on subs without going to sub school...?

Offline Roll Tide

• Nearly SRO; Previous RCO / AUO / HP Tech / MM1ss
  • Very Heavy User
  • Those who wait upon God..rise up on eagles' wings
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2014, 04:00 »
so i can just go and serve on subs without going to sub school...?

Only if you pass Nuke School and Prototype!!!
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.
And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor.

Kowalski-EM

« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2014, 09:58 »
The pipeline is getting backed up and stretched out lately from the plant issues, that cheating scandal, etc.

DEP:                0-12 months
Bootcamp:        2 months
A-School:          6 months
Power School:   6 months
Prototype:         6 months

So, the minimum possible time is 20 months - which doesn't happen. Transfer delays, indoc weeks, and holds before classing up will add 2-3 months even when things are working efficiently. You absolutely should not expect to be assigned to a ship until at least two years have passed.

My DEP period lasted 6 months, but I had a surprise option to leave after three weeks. I didn't take it.

Also, students can reliably get through A-School and Power School, but Prototype is a tight bottleneck right now.  3-4 additional months of delays are normal.  I think I might be in the worst case scenario, because I've been held up an extra five months and my class' latest graduation date from prototype is still tentative.  The effects of our delay are also getting passed on to the classes following us.

Offline Adamdg51

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 16, 2014, 12:57 »
^^^thank you for some of the most insightful info ive heard in awhile.

Offline TeewaddMM

• Lurker
« Reply #8 on: Nov 08, 2014, 02:56 »
MM DEPper here, just wondering what you do during the time periods between A school, nuke school, and prototype? Recruiters assistant possibly?

Kowalski-EM

« Reply #9 on: Nov 08, 2014, 05:47 »
All the times you're on hold, you'll probably be assigned to a cleaning crew of one kind or another.  Or manning a desk with marginal responsibilities.  Most of your energy will go towards persuading your boss to let you go home early.

I don't remember clearly, but the recruiting assistant I think you're talking about is the option to receive additional leave by spending a week reporting to a recruiting office and helping them out a few hours.  You won't have that option - the command down in Charleston doesn't allow it.
« Last Edit: Apr 22, 2015, 02:58 by Kowalski-EM »

sjb7061

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23, 2015, 03:13 »
I just finished prototype. For me it was:

9 months dep
2 months bootcamp
Week waiting to class up for A school
3 month MM a school
1 month med hold. Got my grad leave at this time.
1 1/2 month t track(hold period basically)
6 months power school
2 months grad hold
6 months prototype. Some also have a 2 month hold at prototype.
Then was on hold for a week and got orders and went on transfer leave.

Everything after A school is in "2's"
Power school classes up every 2 months so t track is 2 months depending on when you graduate. You might only get a week based on A school graduation date, but if say you don't class up then, 2 months until the next class up date. The are 3 classes at any time and they are 2 months apart obviously. Then grad hold is 2 months though some get "grad and go" and leave right away. In 2 months another PowerSchool class graduates, the last class of grad hold students go to prototype and class up or go on hold, ect. See simple 2 months for everything or 6 which is divisible by 3. The exception is A school because they just class people up when they arrive or as soon as they have openings.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?