Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Are understaffed outages injuring techs? honeypot

Author Topic: Are understaffed outages injuring techs?  (Read 40943 times)

Offline Bonds 25

• Very Heavy User
  • HP Tech......Well Thats My Title Anyways.
Re: Are understaffed outages injuring techs?
« Reply #50 on: Jun 20, 2015, 04:12 »
While I'm not sure if we "overworked" any Techs from a technical standpoint, but I'm certainly not happy about how incredibly understaffed we were this outage. The main issue was the constant taking of Techs from one undermanned control point and sending them to another control point that was even more undermanned. We were at least 20 Techs short of what I would consider an adequate amount of RP's. This has been documented almost daily and with a bit of luck will be addressed next outage (2017) via increased RP staffing budget.

We are also day 42 into our 42 (or 37 depending on who you ask) day outage.......and we have not even gone critical yet  >:(

I want to say thanks to all the Bartlett Techs for helping us out this outage. Your assistance was vital.
"But I Dont Wanna Be A Pirate" - Jerry Seinfeld

Content1

« Reply #51 on: Jun 20, 2015, 07:05 »
When I worked at Limerick in the turbine building the had 3 groups, who rotated with breaks, of specialty techs such electricians, welders, pipefitters etc. to me.  So I would work supporting cutting into contaminated equipment and did my own surveys solo, counting smears etc.  They would rotate with fresh people while I was constantly working.  I literally had to sneak out for a 20 minute lunch break including travel time.

Another time while working at North Anna I spent 11 out of 12 hours in containment because they  were short of people.

This was years ago, I see little changing as it is cheaper to overwork the HP's knowing most are a dedicated bunch than to hire enough to do the job safely.

Offline loki

• Light User
« Reply #52 on: Jun 22, 2015, 09:42 »
Sounds like you were deliberately working in an unsafe manor thus slapping bhi in the face. BAD TECH give back your bonus.

Content1

« Reply #53 on: Jun 23, 2015, 01:03 »
Sounds like you were deliberately working in an unsafe manor thus slapping bhi in the face. BAD TECH give back your bonus.

I mentioned it and I was told there was nothing they could do.  My choice then would have been to quit and lose unemployment and the get on Bartlett's double secret black list, then go beg for money to get home on a freeway off ramp.  You tell how you would have handled it better.

chesnee

« Reply #54 on: Jun 23, 2015, 01:45 »
It is real and I have seen it in action. Plants are understaffing more and more each year. I have seen it in the west and in the south. STP I spent an average of 10-11 hours in containment. There simply wasn't anyone else.... I like the people there but it is true. Saint Lucie you go there be prepared!!! That plant broke me down physically and mentally. Good people there though. And when I wasn't killing myself I enjoyed it there. Working at primarily those two plants for a few years because I liked the people, I forgot what 3 in and 3 out was like. UNTIL I went to Surry. I felt guilty because I actually was given breaks and cool down times. Other than having to follow lame dress policies.... that place was great. 

chesnee

« Reply #55 on: Jun 23, 2015, 01:48 »
Forgot to mention because of understaffing and not being able to line up outages anymore.... I find myself working full time in a air conditioned lab.  ;) I might not make as much as outage work. But, this freaking rules compared to roadteching. Road tech for 12 years.

Content1

« Reply #56 on: Jun 23, 2015, 03:43 »
Forgot to mention because of understaffing and not being able to line up outages anymore.... I find myself working full time in a air conditioned lab.  ;) I might not make as much as outage work. But, this freaking rules compared to roadteching. Road tech for 12 years.
A lot of macho guys like to almost brag how long they can work with no breaks, getting leads and supervisors used to overworking people who aren't so macho and making it hard for any to complain.  As long as the work gets done, like in the movies, "Gone with the Wind," the supervisors need a "Free hand" to use the people as they see fit.  As usual, if they can overwork you for 2 weeks then lay you off early, look at the money they are saving the client.  That is the new money-saving mindset.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?