Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Considering a future with NUPOC honeypot

Author Topic: Considering a future with NUPOC  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Stripes7

• Lurker
Considering a future with NUPOC
« on: May 21, 2014, 05:25 »
Hello everyone! I am brand spankin' new to the forums here and have been considering the Navy as a career option. To give some context, I graduated with a degree in Biomedical Science at Marshall University in 2010 and have been working in the Biotechnology industry for the last 7 years (was working in college as well). My gpa was a meager 2.9, with a substantially higher grades over the last 2 semesters of my college career (I don't have an exact number for those years). I've decided this career path is not for me and have begun the process of applying to Arizona State Univeristy Online for an electrical engineering degree. I've searched several forum posts about the NUPOC program, but was hoping to get some updated insight that takes my personal background into account. My preference for this program would be Naval Reactor Engineer, and I had a few questions about this particular section of the program. I've read that the gpa "requirement" is 3.8, however, if I'm beginning a new degree path would this only take into account the grades I received while working towards my electrical engineering degree? Also, I'm assuming meeting the requirements of the program doesn't guarantee acceptance, so how likely is it that someone like me would even get into the program? I'm sure I'm missing other factors and considerations to take into account, and any knowledge or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

Offline maroon

• Light User
Re: Considering a future with NUPOC
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 06:45 »
1.  Your entire college history is reviewed, and the GPA guideline of 3.8 is normally based on all colleges you have attended. 
2.  NR is very picky about NR Engineers since they hire so few, and your major and university goes into that consideration.  I'm betting that online degrees are looked upon less favorably for the NR Engineer position.
3.  Are you going back to school for a bachelor's or a master's in EE?  Since you have a BS already, the Navy isn't going to pay you while you get another bachelor's, so you would be shipped to OCS/ODS as soon as you are accepted.  If you are getting a master's, you would have to wait until you are within a year of graduating to apply.
4.  I am not optimistic of your chances of being picked up for NR Engineer.  If you have taken calculus and calc-based physics already, you may have a better chance right now as a Submarine officer, though you are still a little on the low side as far as your GPA.  A recruiter would have to take a closer look at your full transcript to get a better idea of your chances.  If you haven't taken those yet, the recruiter won't be able to make any guarantees to you now, but you could try to apply once you have completed those courses (and hopefully get A's).

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?