Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Most used Personal Protective Equipment honeypot

Author Topic: Most used Personal Protective Equipment  (Read 10544 times)

radready

Most used Personal Protective Equipment
« on: Mar 24, 2014, 10:49 »
Hey everyone,

I am a business owner and I am currently doing research on the nuclear industry and I'm trying to learn more about what equipment a person who works in a nuclear plant would most often use.

I have a few questions and I would be very thankful for your answers.

Do nuclear power plant workers buy their own gear or does the company supply them with everything they need as far as PPE and detectors go? Do workers ever upgrade their equipment at their own expense?

If I were working a nuclear plant what items are REQUIRED for my basic safety in all industrial areas of the plant?

I am starting a business that is related to radiation protection but I am also looking into becoming a supplier for industrial PPE as well so any information you could provide me with would be great.

Thank you!

Chimera

Re: Most used Personal Protective Equipment
« Reply #1 on: Mar 25, 2014, 09:04 »
Safety shoes - where required are either paid for by employer/site or individually purchased and reimbursed at some level - either a fixed limit or completely.

Hearing protection & safety glasses - provided

Hard hats - provided

All other equipment, i.e.., fall protection, anti-contamination clothing, disposable coveralls, tools, radiac gear, sampling media, etc. - provided

Personal outer clothing (scrubs) - provided at some sites, not provided at others

spciesla

« Reply #2 on: Mar 25, 2014, 11:19 »
Good summary by Chimera, but I have one more to add.

Gloves - Provided

However, the most important piece of PPE is between your ears.

Offline S T I G

• Moderate User
  • S T I G
« Reply #3 on: Mar 25, 2014, 03:07 »
a cup.

radready

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:39 »
Safety shoes - where required are either paid for by employer/site or individually purchased and reimbursed at some level - either a fixed limit or completely.

Hearing protection & safety glasses - provided

Hard hats - provided

All other equipment, i.e.., fall protection, anti-contamination clothing, disposable coveralls, tools, radiac gear, sampling media, etc. - provided

Personal outer clothing (scrubs) - provided at some sites, not provided at others

Thanks! This is excellent!

I assume that there are trusted brands that the companies order from. Could you tell me the names of some of these?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2014, 01:52 »
Most companies also encourage home use of PPE by allowing employees to take the basics home with them..., safety glasses, ear plugs, gloves, etc.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline mars88

• Moderate User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2014, 02:01 »
Northern Safety has all of those items, plus respirators (although not a great selection of the latter).
Check their website.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #7 on: Mar 27, 2014, 05:17 »
Thanks! This is excellent!

I assume that there are trusted brands that the companies order from. Could you tell me the names of some of these?
google safety equipment...
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

radready

« Reply #8 on: Mar 28, 2014, 02:43 »
google safety equipment...

I have googled safety equipment and unfortunately that term is not really specific enough. When I google radiation protection equipment the results are mediocre at best. That is why I have decided to get into this business because I want to make this equipment more accessible to workers as well as people who are preparing for a CBRN type disaster.

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #9 on: Mar 28, 2014, 03:50 »
ok,fine!

when aye google safety equipment the first 5 URL were manufacturers. big companies.

an entrepreneur had better have many contacts in the purchasing departments of plants and/or fleet owners. Small firms dune business with e.p.a., nuke equipment service companies, remediation concerns etc. order the small amount of ppe they knead from the cataloged, usually on an as-needed basis and a just-in-time frequency in order to minimize on site inventory.

it's a rough biz.
« Last Edit: Mar 28, 2014, 03:51 by SloGlo »
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #10 on: Mar 28, 2014, 07:04 »
Nearly all standard PPE is manufactured and distributed by one company.  Currently, I think that company is owned by Honeywell, but it may have changed hands again by the time you read this.  Power plants buy these things by the truckload.  You could never match the bulk pricing.
Employees occasionally buy their own non-prescription safety glasses, hard hats, ear plugs, and gloves, but only because of personal preference.  The law requires employers to provide or reimburse employees for all safety equipment except for prescription lenses and safety shoes.  So, most employees simply use what is provided (and hang on to it to use again if it is better than the stuff supplied at the next job). 
Instruments are useless unless you can provide calibration and repair services.  Nobody is permitted to use radiation detection instruments unless it is calibrated using traceable sources. 
This is not a retail type of business.  Don't expect to make a living from it.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #11 on: Mar 28, 2014, 11:21 »
I have googled safety equipment and unfortunately that term is not really specific enough. When I google radiation protection equipment the results are mediocre at best. That is why I have decided to get into this business because I want to make this equipment more accessible to workers as well as people who are preparing for a CBRN type disaster.

Aha. So you're looking to outfit preppers with nuke gear, and you were looking for information on rad protection stuff specifically it seems. Nuke workers have it provided to them, so we wouldn't need you to make it easier for us. I just walk up to the health check area and get what I need..., doesn't get much easier than that. We don't wear anti contamination clothing all the time and not all of us handle detectors..., there is a group trained specifically in their use. We all thought you wanted info on the PPE we wear daily, but you're really after info on the rad gear to sell to preppers.

A company called unitech provides all of those sorts of supplies for my station. http://www.unitechus.com/

Good luck.

Justin

« Last Edit: Mar 29, 2014, 06:41 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

BuddyThePug

« Reply #12 on: Mar 29, 2014, 03:05 »

I think I read somewhere *cough* that most legit preppers aren't going to spend the monster bucks required for gear at uscavalry or approvedgasmasks, but will probably get masks at cheaperthandirt or ebay, along with tyvek suits and duct tape at the big box store. What's your target market segment?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?