Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program

Poll

Do i have any chance of getting into the program?

yes
3 (42.9%)
no
2 (28.6%)
maybe
2 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: Feb 17, 2017, 08:45

Author Topic: Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program  (Read 3934 times)

Offline casas1010

• Lurker
Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:45 »
How hard is it to get accepted into this program, do you think i have a chance?
here is my resume

EDUCATION
Palm Beach State College (PBSC) GPA:3.53 , science & math GPA:3.8
University of Florida "attending this summer"
Major: chemical engineering
Minor: nuclear engineering
AA degree at PBSC

EXPERIENCE
1.Calculus/Chemistry/Statistics and S.A.T. tutor for private company.
2.Chemistry intern at private company
3.Math/Physics/Chemistry/Statistics tutor at S.L.C. at PBSC
4.Math team member
5.Minister at church
6.Supplemental Instructor for Calculus 3,Chemistry 2, Organic Chemistry 1 and Organic chemistry 2.
7.Volunteer at Hospice, North county senior center, church

ACTIVITIES
1.Bible study
2.Circle K international
3.Energy club
4.Engineering Club
5.Phi Theta Kappa

ACCOMPLISHMENTS
1.Chemistry intern
2.over 400 hours of community service
3.Dean's list at PBSC
4.Micro gravity research "NASA"
5.Presidents academic honors list (PBSC)
6.Presidents honor award (PBSC)
7.Presidental Volunteer award
8.Volunteer Appreciation award (North county senior center)
9.Volunteer dedication award (Department of Elder Affairs florida
10.Webmaster for engineering club
11. 2nd place Hennac Engineering conference

here is the catch, i was arrested before college for possession of alcohol and paraphernalia but the charges were dropped.
im also considered a junior at the University of Florida

Do i have a chance ?

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Nuclear Propulsion Officer Candidate Program
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 03:54 »
Yes you have a "chance"... How good of  one? Talk to a recruiter and find out. Worst you will be told is "no".... and guess what? You are still able to finish your degree.

To be more direct, a 3.53 is pretty solid, but from posts Ive seen here before, 3.6+ is where its at. You aren't allowed to selectively choose your classes you want your GPA to reflect. If you are doing 3.8 work in math and science, what are you screwing up to drag your gpa down to a 3.5? Not criticizing, just simply food for thought.  What year are you in? You sound like a 4th year finalizing your degree with your supplemental instructor positions and perceived class loads. Why not just finish at this point? 

Finally, posting this in the proper section would probably be a better start for you. 

Offline maroon

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 10:39 »
You've got nothing to lose by talking with a recruiter now, but don't be surprised if he has you come back after you've completed a full semester at UF. 

There have been many cases where students do great at a junior college, but then their grades drop like a rock when they transfer to a 4-year university because they have difficulty adapting to the new environment.  That puts doubt in the Navy's mind about their chances to succeed at Power school (another new, stressful environment), so don't be that guy.

Offline nuls2835

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: Jun 02, 2014, 02:39 »
Yes, you have a chance.  Obviously we cannot understand the full context of your legal issues, but despite that I think you have a solid chance.  I got accepted last week with a 3.39 in Meteorology, and I was 4 years out of school.  It doesn't sound like your charges are the worst that they have seen, so long as you can show you've learned from it and improved yourself because of it, you'll get a fair shake.  I'd be in a recruiter's office yesterday...

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?