Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke Life honeypot

Author Topic: Nuke Life  (Read 13085 times)

Offline Adamdg51

• Light User
Nuke Life
« on: May 27, 2014, 02:09 »
Can anyone comment, hopefully in very specific detail WHY nuke life "sucks" and is so hard? From what ive read, many nukes do not reenlist and I was wondering if its because their working conditions are so harsh. If this is true can any current/former nukes comment on exactly what is so rough about it.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Nuke Life
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:11 »
Can anyone comment, hopefully in very specific detail WHY nuke life "sucks" and is so hard? From what ive read, many nukes do not reenlist and I was wondering if its because their working conditions are so harsh. If this is true can any current/former nukes comment on exactly what is so rough about it.

No. Each person makes this decision for their own reasons. Theres no "carte blanche" reason for it. To quote Uncle Ben, "With great power, comes great responsibility". Nuke life is "great power". In the interim, you should focus on actually BECOMING a nuke first. Worry about the fleet when you get there.

cedugger

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02 »
So, a person can do something dumb multiple times throughout his/her life, but that doesn't make that person a dumb person. Likewise, in 11 years, I had many sucky days in the Navy, but my time as a Navy Nuke by no means sucked. And the 10 years that have followed have made that 11 years worth every gripe, moan, and complaint I may have uttered during that time in my life.

Why do many current or ex-Nukes say that it sucked...less liberty, less sleep, more stress, not always appreciated by non-nukes (not that I ever cared). Why I think it didn't suck...better job, plenty of opportunities to excel, "nuke humor", reactors are awesome (you all know they are), has made everything else I've done since seem rather easy!

Word of advice...negativity from others doesn't warrant your time or attention. I didn't have a negative thought about the program when I went in (but then again, there wasn't this damned internet thing to pollute our minds). Maybe that absence of negatively is why I just pushed through, even after finishing 30 out of 32 in A-school. Performing poorly is simply a metric...signaling that what you're doing isn't working and some additional effort is required.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re:
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 01:31 »
Mostly a gross mismatch between expectations and reality.

You will work long hours doing a boring, relatively easy job that no one will care about unless you screw it up. The admin red tape just adds frustration on top of that. Whenever someone monitors you, you will be criticized for every minor error, some of which you made because the last monitor told you to do it that way. You'll be sleep deprived for your entire sea tour.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
Re:
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 07:03 »
Mostly a gross mismatch between expectations and reality...........

most advertising is,...

I bought a Camaro once,...

all that stuff in the commercial?!?!?!?!

not so much,...

I did grow to appreciate the Camaro just for what it was though,... 8)

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 11:59 »

Look up three second duty.  It matters not if in port or underway.

Cold iron for a RO is no different the when steaming. Well, now the let EM's stand shutdown watches, a nice relief.

BT's of old, would cool the boilers then be gone.  Not true on a nuke.

Then there is the constant training, quals, and testing.  After awhile is sucks and you leave the Navy.
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

DSO

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 08:35 »

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 08:49 »

Yep, that'd be the ELT's.......  :P

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 10:27 »

Cold iron for a RO is no different the when steaming. Well, now the let EM's stand shutdown watches, a nice relief.

BT's of old, would cool the boilers then be gone.  Not true on a nuke.

Then there is the constant training, quals, and testing.  After awhile is sucks and you leave the Navy.

works for me,... :P ;) :) 8)

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2014, 10:33 »
Yep, that'd be the ELT's.......  :P

well now, I see Mr. Chaplinsky has entered the room,.... :P ;) :) 8)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 10:59 »
....And the 10 years that have followed have made that 11 years worth every gripe, moan, and complaint I may have uttered during that time in my life.....

yup, a' course the lingering "sucky" part of all that is you could have made the last ten years happen the same way with only six or maybe eight years in the canoe club vice eleven,...

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2014, 09:31 by GLW »

cedugger

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2014, 11:07 »
yup, a' course the lingering "sucky" part of all that is you could have made the last ten years happen the same way with only six or maybe eight years in the canoe club vice eleven,...

Not really. Landing the gig with non-proliferation, and now my current job, had as much to do with my podium/instructor time as it did my nuke operations experience. Wouldn't have had that without the last four years of my time in...six or eight wouldn't have landed the same results. Guess it all depends on what one wants to do when they move on from the canoe club.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2014, 11:13 »
Not really. Landing the gig with non-proliferation, and now my current job, had as much to do with my podium/instructor time as it did my nuke operations experience. Wouldn't have had that without the last four years of my time in...six or eight wouldn't have landed the same results. Guess it all depends on what one wants to do when they move on from the canoe club.

noted,... 8)

I do love that face palm clip,...
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 11:14 by GLW »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?