Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice greatly appreciated - trouble with management honeypot

Author Topic: Advice greatly appreciated - trouble with management  (Read 8519 times)

Offline karlybaba

• Very Lite User
I'm a relatively new NLO and just recently I've had a very negative experience with management. One of the managers was apparently dissatisfied with my performance and literally started screaming about said performance. This isn't the first time this has happened and I normally handle the situation by keeping calm and agreeing, noting my attempts to improve. The professional demeanor was totally inappropriate, and the manager is normally quite aggressive in some way. I don't have thin skin exactly but this is excessive - this is civilian life and navy tactics don't work here. Aside it being completely demotivational on the job, my interest in continuing in nuclear is waning quickly and I'm seriously beginning to examine other options outside of the industry. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I really enjoyed operating up until this issue.

Chimera

Re: Advice greatly appreciated - trouble with management
« Reply #1 on: Jun 03, 2014, 06:44 »
If your job sucks, vote with your feet.

Offline PWHoppe

• Forum Staff
  • CONFIRMED!: The dumbest man on the planet
« Reply #2 on: Jun 03, 2014, 07:35 »
If you really like your job and don't wish to relocate there is always the option of going to Human Resources or going to ECP.
If a chicken and a half can lay an egg and a half in a day and a half, how many days will it take a grasshopper with a rubber foot to kick a hole in a tin can?

Forum rules..http://www.nukeworker.co

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #3 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:37 »
Have a chat with your union steward, see if you have options for a grievance?

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 03, 2014, 08:39 »
This type thing will happen. One thing you will find at commercial plants is that people tend to get promoted based on technical abilities with no assessment, and therefore, no consideration being paid to their "people" abilities. You throw the mighty Phd after their name and it gets worse. I have found that the best way to deal with a "bully by title" type individual is to smile during the buttock chewing session followed by a simple "thank you for the coaching sir/miss, if I ever find myself in need of further coaching, my hope is that it will be by you, and that you conduct yourself in the same professional manner that you just did".The quickest way to diffuse a self centered, ego-maniacal bully is to show them that their unprofessional manners cannot break through your body armor.You will not lose any standing with your peers because of this and actually will gain ground if you remain professional, calm and cool during the incident.Remember there is still a chain of command at any organazation that has a management hierarchy. If your performance is up to the standards of your peers, then what some less than professional toad thinks is basically irrelevent in the big picture. You will find this type thing is not specific to nuclear power, and I think you will also find that the income situation outside of the protected area is not near as dandy as inside. If all they can do is chew a little hide from your derriere, who the flock cares. If they would be responsible for your leaving a great job, they can proclaim victory. Most plants have a saloon or two on the way home, stop after work, shoot a few games of pool, have a couple gustos, and show up the next day with a good attitude and of course.... fit for duty. MM2/ELT USS Nimitz CVN-68 80-84 BOHICA.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #5 on: Jun 03, 2014, 01:06 »
If the manager truly is in the wrong and overly aggressive and mean you could do what I've done twice.  It does have some risk.  I've had 2 supervisors who were totally wrong at times and yelled and screamed about it unreasonably.  I gave it right back to them with no hesitation (behind closed doors), but I knew I was right and they were dead wrong.  They both did a 180 when it came to me and would look for other easier prey.  Be careful.

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 03, 2014, 04:11 »
2 questions

1) have you tried talking to said manager about it? If not, you really need to. Thats just life my friend, you will meet those people in ANY industry. Learning how to deal with it now will be better for you in the long run. Likewise, if you are very much in the wrong, and are repeating mistakes, then you two can perhaps come to some kind of agreement on how you would prefer to be treated.

2) would you consider this a legal issue? Harassment in the workplace/hostile work environment? If you honestly assess yourself and come to a "yes" answer, then if you are at a unionized plant you should talk to your union rep. If its not unionized, then go have a talk with your HR manager about options. To reiterate dave, see if you can put this on paper so it doesn't haunt you.

I can see 2 problems with you just walking away. 1) your bitter manager may not be so willing to give you best recommendation when you apply elsewhere 2) when asked "why did you leave?" you will respond "blah blah blah", and the follow up question will be "what did you do about it?" ... to which your reply will be "I posted on a forum".

Good luck, keep your head down in the interim.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Jun 03, 2014, 09:49 »
Every situation is unique, so hard to give you firm answers, but here are some thoughts:

1.  Avoid taking this to HR.  That is usually ineffective and will remove all control of the situation from your hands.

2.  It's doubtful that you are the only person having issues with this person...so don't take it too personally.  

3.  EVERY job is The-Worst-Job-Ever at some point.  It sounds like you have reached that point right now.  Things almost always get better.  Give it a couple more months before you take any rash actions like quitting.  I guarantee that the situation will have changed by then.  

4.  Odds of you having to work for this jerk long-term are fairly low.  Try to bite your tongue and ride it out.

Good luck!  :)
« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2014, 07:41 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

radbrat

« Reply #8 on: Jun 03, 2014, 10:27 »
Ya...eh. You run into these types everywhere ya go..People without leadership skills that think harassment and intimidation is an actual quality in their job billet. Next time...or try to remember...was he(she) facing you head on or was that person at an angle to your posture...either way denotes insecurity about his or her own abilities. If they don't meet your eyes without wavering... then maybe a weakness in their body armor. Are they facing you with square shoulders and looking you square in the eyes? Maybe they see a weakness in your posture.. you are allowing yourself to be mistreated...if you are confident in your work functions give them the steely eyed Clint Eastwood look...stare right at their forehead. Going to HR or walking out are never the first options to consider. Good Luck

Offline idrum4food

• Moderate User
  • If ya need air, rope, or wings to get ta where yur goin, ya don't need ta go.
« Reply #9 on: Jun 04, 2014, 10:21 »
In nuclear power, things change frequently....including personnel. He'll move on and then you'll have someone else to deal with. Maybe better, maybe worse.

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Jun 04, 2014, 10:51 »
SCWE. The nuclear industry does not accept behavior that could be considered verbally abusive. If you are not performing as expected, management should be providing positive coaching in a civil manner. As Starkist stated, there are several avenues to persue. The chain of command, employee concerns, union representative, HR, NRC. You can request a change in crew. Document these incidents and get witnesses if possible. Have an open mind and try to understand his point of view as well and don't assume that you are right just because his behavior is wrong. You haven't said exactly what he was sceaming about or whether it was a repeat issue or any other details. I don't know the details, so I can't make a judgement. Go through the proper channels and let it take its course. Maintain a positive attitude, avoid negativity. He will have to stop screaming, but you may have to change also.

Offline karlybaba

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Jun 04, 2014, 03:10 »
More information-

Since this is not a technical issue that can be referenced by a procedure, you can't say who's right here. I don't bother trying to defend myself (or, as the manager would put it, make excuses,) and I accept the feedback.
Talking and reasoning out this issue probably won't work, it's been made clear that reasoning this out is just coming up with excuses.
I don't consider this harassment or verbally abusive, just a really upset manager who can't handle things in a calm professional manner.
« Last Edit: Jun 04, 2014, 05:23 by karlybaba »

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #12 on: Jun 04, 2014, 04:21 »
Tell him that you are doing the best that you can and that you want to learn what it takes to be a good operator. You probably have a pay raise coming when you get qualified, so you are working towards that goal. Remember that a safety concious work environmment is most important. Use your HU tools, they are not excuses, they are what keeps nuclear power safe and viable.

Offline Redleader

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Jun 04, 2014, 05:25 »
Just tell him that he is taking the conversation from a professional level to a personal level and you really don't think he wants to do that. At that point walk away. It also helps to step into his space when you are telling him this. I've been in the industry for 32 years and if you don't do something like that he will continue the browbeating >:(

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?