Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Nuke waiver for homeschoolers

Author Topic: Nuke waiver for homeschoolers  (Read 6389 times)

Offline Jake)12

• Very Lite User
Nuke waiver for homeschoolers
« on: Jun 04, 2014, 06:53 »
I know this topic has been touched on but I wanted to add my personal spin on it and see what you all think. I have an associates degree with. 4.0 gpa and scored a 93 on the asvab. My lines scores equalled 243( just 9 below a score that wouldn't require me to take the NAPT). I took the NAPT and scored a 64 passing. But I was homeschooled in Missouri with out an accredited affiliation with the schools (Missouri doesn't require homeschoolers to be accredited). All my high school grades are b+ or higher including algebra 1, physics, college algebra + trig, and geometry. I have a waiver pending right now for the navy nuke program because I was homeschooled but not accredited by the state. The navy had me sign up for another job as a backup incase the nuke waiver doesn't pass. Do I have a chance of having the waiver passed? Or will the navy not try to push for it and force me to stick to the job I have now

Samabby

Re: Nuke waiver for homeschoolers
« Reply #1 on: Jun 05, 2014, 09:14 »
" The navy had me sign up for another job"

Correction, you chose to sign yourself up.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Jun 05, 2014, 09:40 »
I know this topic has been touched on (snipped)

Then you know what the response will be...

With credit to Samabby, what job did YOU sign yourself up for the first time?

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #3 on: Jun 05, 2014, 02:06 »
....Or will the navy not try to push for it and force me to stick to the job I have now

in the Navy forums search "oath" and scatterd here and there are anecdotes about whether you are actually obligated to serve before your "oath of enlistment",...

bottom line is:

do not be a nuke unless you want to operate in the engineering spaces of vessel which heats water into steam via nuclear fission,...

many other USN jobs are good jobs,...

if you don't really want to join then don't, it will be an unnecessary waste of everybodies time if you're just in the Navy for a "test run",...

take a deep breath, think it through, and if you have a mind to, then come back to the thread and lay out what your best guess goals are,...

after that, you can probably get some constructive insights around here, without that it's just shoot in the dark at who knows what?!?!

albeit some of us like to shoot into the dark for the pure joy of hearing the innocent and the guilty scream in dismay,...

as to that notion of wasted Navy time;

sometimes it is a painful waste of time as well,... [coffee]

(sic),...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline Jake)12

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jun 05, 2014, 04:51 »
Okay, let me clear up something. When I said "had me sing up" I didn't mean forced me. I claim full responsibility for my choice ( and trust me it wasn't an easy one) They told me to sing up for another job as a foot in the door while I wait for the nuke waiver. I chose to sign up for AECF because I feel like that's a job I want if the nuke does not happen. My main question was whether or not the navy would really want me in the nuke with my specific criteria even though I'm homeschooled. I'm wondering if they would actually try to get me in since that was apart of the premiss when I joined ( that there is a waiver being sent further up the ranks and in the mean time I sign up for another job to get my foot in the door)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #5 on: Jun 05, 2014, 06:33 »
Okay, let me clear up something. When I said "had me sing up" I didn't mean forced me. I claim full responsibility for my choice ( and trust me it wasn't an easy one) They told me to sing up for another job as a foot in the door while I wait for the nuke waiver. I chose to sign up for AECF because I feel like that's a job I want if the nuke does not happen. My main question was whether or not the navy would really want me in the nuke with my specific criteria even though I'm homeschooled. I'm wondering if they would actually try to get me in since that was apart of the premiss when I joined ( that there is a waiver being sent further up the ranks and in the mean time I sign up for another job to get my foot in the door)

that's a bit of a better baseline,...

as to your opening post:

...Do I have a chance of having the waiver passed?...

yes,...

...Or will the navy not try to push for it and force me to stick to the job I have now...

that's crystal ball stuff, your recruiter should be the best chance you have to keep your waiver important to people outside the local recruiting office, some of that has to do with nuclear recruiters, if you do not already know you may want to learn if the recruiter you are dealing with is same (a nuclear recruiter),...

it is possible a contemporary Navy nuclear recruiter will chime in on this thread, it has happened in the past, most of them are no longer registered as users though,...

PM or e-mail this user "rednecksailor", he has already traveled the road you are seeking albeit some time ago, that user does not visit often, the user's e-mail may be a better choice for timely contact than a PM,...

AECF is not a bad gig,...

the hours are better,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline PercMastaFTW

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jun 23, 2014, 11:22 »
You're talking about AECF, right? That's what the Navy does for people trying to become nukes. I thought it was somewhat of a trick when I joined, but it wasn't.

I was home educated and graduated last year. Put me down as AECF, and of course my homeschool isn't accredited, so I automatically had to take the NAPT.

As long as you have no background in anything illegal, too many speeding tickets, etc., you should be fine. Of course, I'm a newbie here and maybe some seniors have more to say.

I'm pretty sure your only disqualifications would be those to deal with alchohol, drugs, tickets, etc., so it should be an easy day. Currently in A school and loving it, for now haha.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2014, 11:25 by PercMastaFTW »

Offline Jake)12

• Very Lite User
« Reply #7 on: Jun 23, 2014, 05:12 »
Yeah that sounds right. I just found out today that i got the nuke contract. Thanks for the comments

Offline Jake)12

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Jun 23, 2014, 05:14 »
And good luck on A school!

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #9 on: Jun 23, 2014, 05:26 »
Yeah that sounds right. I just found out today that i got the nuke contract. Thanks for the comments

Congrats, good luck

Druid

« Reply #10 on: Jun 23, 2014, 05:50 »

Best of luck!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?