Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Would these be considered flaws?

Author Topic: Would these be considered flaws?  (Read 3053 times)

Offline Chemmy

• Lurker
Would these be considered flaws?
« on: Jun 15, 2014, 06:16 »
Hello,

I am currently going into my "sophomore" year for chemical engineering and I would like to get into the NUPOC program. I know that I have to wait till my junior year +, but I had some questions to see if I would even be seen as a competitive candidate. Also I don't know if some of my "traits" would be seen as a negative.

1. I am attending a community college
    a. 3.5 GPA
    b. I changed my major so I added an extra year
    c. On the Board of Trustees
    d. ASB president
    e.
2. Limited internship where I live
    a. I have managed to get an engineering internship for an alternative energy company
    b.  I have secured an internship at NASA Ames for next summer
3. Volunteer
    a. Girl Scout for 14 years (yes I am still one)
    b. Presidential Volunteer Award for 3 years
    c. Mentor robotics in low income elementary schools.
    d. Part of student senate for my school

I can don't know if the Navy doesn't prefer women in their nuclear program or if there are just more men joining than women. (Possible negative)
Is going to a community college first seen as a negative? Is an extra year seen as a negative.
Is having an internship with NASA for their mars program better then looking for an unknown chem or nuclear internship?

I plan to talk to a recruiter when I get back from a wedding this week, but I just wanted to have a heads up.

Cheers,
Chemmy

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
Re: Would these be considered flaws?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 15, 2014, 08:43 »
Is having an internship with NASA for their mars program better then looking for an unknown chem or nuclear internship?

I'd ask one of the Apollo 19-designated crew members about that. Plenty of NASA programs have been started and scrubbed, such as X-20 DynaSoar , JIMO and Ares. All were multi-decade multi-billion dollar projects that vanished with little warning.

Personally I think you stand a very good chance for NUPOC, but we have more qualified folks that hopefully will answer shortly. Good luck!
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2014, 08:54 by HydroDave63 »

Offline Starkist

• Very Heavy User
Re: Would these be considered flaws?
« Reply #2 on: Jun 15, 2014, 11:43 »
Looking at this completely pragmatically

1) you're at a very simple transfer school...

2) you're not even in accepted into an engineering college yet

3) you're way early in judging your success in this academic program

4) you're not in any ABET accredited institutions yet

5) you have MUCH more coming!!!

(yeah yeah, I kinda repeat myself, but its for a reason)

So my suggestions for NUPOC (even though I know nothing about it...) is to wait until you actually finish all your prereq's to start engineering college, do your first semester of engineering classes,  and going from THOSE grades; not the weighted community college grades,  and basing your future endeavors from that.

I don't mean to be harsh, I transferred to an ABET school from a community college much as you are doing, and its pretty much a night and day difference. The classes aren't weighted anymore, and they are much more difficult. As far as the extracurriculars, my hat's off to you! Much more than I have time for, and I can't imagine it would hurt you at all. Your classes will take a dramatic tone shift and require much more time and effort once you escape the boundaries of single variable calculus and simple physics. As a chem eng, youre going to experience untold tortures in organic chemistry ( :P) as well (organic chemistry is the only reason I chose mechanical engineering haha).

Good luck to you, I hope you do well, and all of us here appreciate your intended service. I am simply trying to ground you to realistic expectations for now. A good person to speak with is "gamecock".

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?