Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu I have an interview but...  

Author Topic: I have an interview but...  (Read 5528 times)

Offline melbornj

• Lurker
I have an interview but...
« on: Jun 17, 2014, 07:15 »
I submitted a resume for a simulator instructor position at XCEL in Minnesota.  I am flying out for a practice teach and interview in a week.  I want to feel it's a good sign that they are spending the money to fly me out there and pay for a rental car, food, gas and a hotel room.  Does anybody have any insight on this?  Are you a top candidate and likely to get a job if they fly you out or are you just one of many people that they flew out and this means nothing?  I'm just kind of freaking out here.  I get out of the navy in a few months and really need a good job to support my family.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: I have an interview but...
« Reply #1 on: Jun 17, 2014, 07:49 »
Honestly, if they're flying you out, you're a decent candidate. By no means does it guarantee you'll get the job. Exelon flew me out to Chicago for 3 days for testing and interviews for an SRO position that I didn't get. What is your background?
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2014, 09:03 by MMM »

Offline jams723

• Moderate User
« Reply #2 on: Jun 17, 2014, 11:25 »
A company will not pay for an interview trip if you are not a qualified candidate for the position.  The door is open, it is up to you to convince them you are the top candidate.

Offline triti-yum

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:42 »
not sure if your interview will be like mine in canada, but....here goes!

- safety is everything. have any experience related to safety? flaunt it!
- problem solving is a close second. anywhere else you worked, how did you solve problems, make things better and save the company money?
- show a strong interest in nuclear technology. research the plant you are applying to in depth.
- the interview i had started with a simple concept and took it as far as i could go in increasing technical detail- remember, sometimes the correct answer is 'i don't know'. they don't want people that are going to make stuff up, they want people who are willing to learn!
- having some background in the nuclear field, they went hard on me. can't promise you'll get this kind of abuse, but they wanted to know how i would respond under pressure. i had the 'good cop, bad cop' routine. one interviewer was very kind, the other was a complete ass. when i was thinking on a question, the bad one was practically yelling at me to hurry up and stop wasting his time. i just smiled at him and continued on taking my time. don't let them shake you.
- research topics like system chemistry and corrosion (rust). how do you prevent corrosion anyways?
- they pulled another fast one on me: i gave them correct information regarding reactor physics and was told that i was wrong. how do you respond to that? i told them i was under the impression it was how i stated, but instead of doubting what i was told i would research it out of interest. i'll never know if they were testing me or just dumb!

that should give you a real edge if your interview is anything like mine was. it was for operator by the way. good luck!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?