Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu a few questions about NUPOC clearances honeypot

Author Topic: a few questions about NUPOC clearances  (Read 5811 times)

Offline tud22830

• Very Lite User
a few questions about NUPOC clearances
« on: Jul 22, 2014, 12:36 »
Hello, this might not be the correct forum, but I'm really stuck for some answers.  I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out.  About 2 years ago while I was in college I was interested in the NUPOC program.  I began the application process to be a sub officer.  I was investigated and cleared for a clearance.  I later decided against joining the Navy and decided to pursue something to do with my degree more.  I recently have been hired at a place that requires a DOE secret clearance.  My questions are as followed:

1.  Was the clearance I obtained while applying to be a nuclear submarine officer a secret or top secret DOD clearance?

2.  I understand that the clearances go inactive when you aren't using them, but is there any chance the clearance I obtained while applying to NUPOC will transfer over to a DOE secret clearance? The clearance was granted under 2 years ago. The forms I need to fill out are virtually identical.

I really would appreciate any insight to these questions.  This forum has been so helpful to me in the past.  Thank you.

HeavyD

Re: a few questions about NUPOC clearances
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2014, 02:39 »
First, were you actually issued a "final" clearance or merely approved for an "interim"?

I know that 20 years ago when I joined the Navy, we were all given interim clearances while we were in the pipeline.  I didn't receive my actual security clearance until I had reported to my first ship, almost 2 years after enlisting.

Even if you were issued a final clearance, the DOE would most likely re-perform the background investigation, so nothing would happen right away.

Caveat, this is based on 20 year old data and some conjecture, so take it with a grain of salt.  Graphic is the SME and may be able to shed some more light on this matter.

Offline tud22830

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Jul 22, 2014, 03:39 »
I'm not sure if it was final or interim.  The only email I got was

" I just checked JCAVS and you were granted a Top Secret clearance last month.  It was adjudicated and closed."

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #3 on: Jul 22, 2014, 07:56 »
I'm not sure if it was final or interim.  The only email I got was

" I just checked JCAVS and you were granted a Top Secret clearance last month.  It was adjudicated and closed."

There is reciprocity between agencies, however, I think once you exceed two years between activation, you have to start all over again.

FYI.... I had a Q clearance when I retired from the Navy.  Even though it was active, It took me about six months to get it transferred after I accepted a civilian Position that required it.

Good luck to you!

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline tud22830

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Jul 23, 2014, 09:24 »
Thanks for the replies!  Can anyone tell me what's the investigation difference between a Top Secret vs Secret clearance? 

HeavyD

« Reply #5 on: Jul 23, 2014, 09:54 »
If I recall correctly, the number of years back they go when doing the background investigation.

I want to say 5 years for Secret, 10 years for Top Secret. 

Someone still on Active Duty or more recently separated should toss in a "yeah' or "nay".

Offline tud22830

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Jul 23, 2014, 01:26 »
I believe it's 7 vs 10 years.  I just want to know if the process is the same or is it more relaxed for the secret than the top secret?  Before when I was investigated for the top secret clearance, investigators were talking to my neighbors and my neighbors neighbors.  Does the process go the same for the secret?  Just the number of years back is different?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Jul 23, 2014, 06:45 »
I believe it's 7 vs 10 years.  I just want to know if the process is the same or is it more relaxed for the secret than the top secret?  Before when I was investigated for the top secret clearance, investigators were talking to my neighbors and my neighbors neighbors.  Does the process go the same for the secret?  Just the number of years back is different?
They generally aren't as rigorous with secret. If you don't have any red flags on your clearance forms, your neighbors probably won't hear from the investigators for secret.

The TS investigation tries to get to a 3rd order contact so that they can find someone who would be willing to spill the beans on you because he doesn't know you well enough to lie for you.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?