Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Looking for Advice
honeypot

Author Topic: Looking for Advice  (Read 21408 times)

Offline eggmoe

• Very Lite User
Re:
« Reply #25 on: Aug 17, 2014, 07:31 »
Were you talking to an officer who sat selection boards in Millington?

Would you ask an IT guy for advice on what car to buy? Would you ask a historian for help with math hw?

The recruiter you spoke to is an enlisted Sailor. He only knows his rate, everything else is a sales pitch from the pamphlets sitting in his office. In particular, he knows absolutely nothing about commissioning, the app process, requirements, selection rates, etc.
He's an MMC Nuclear recruiter who's been enlisted for 15 years. He told me after his first tour he went instructor so he could stay on land with his wife.

You seem intent on ignoring the advice given to you in this thread. Good luck future MM3. Think about pilot crew rest when you're 3 weeks into shift work, haven't had a day off in forever, and are standing a midwatch SRW on 3 hours sleep. Be sure to tell everyone about your Army woft application that you're filling out, especially before you have fish.

I guess I've been keeping part of my intentions to myself, because it's embarrassing. I'm not that driven guy who can just say, "Here's my gleaming resume, this is where I'm going," but if I was that guy I wouldn't have posted a "Looking for Advice" thread. You told me to go back to school, get my degree, go WO. Which is good advice. I'm afraid to go back to school because I've failed so many classes from lack of trying. I said at the beginning of this thread that I was without direction going into this. Having no direction sucks, it's not something I'm proud of. I wish I knew exactly what I wanted like all of you guys, and I understand your frustration when talking to me. Believe me, I've stressed my parents out enough.

Even though I know "go enlisted to get experience" is a sales pitch, I think it's right for me. Enlisted nuke sounds like the best job available to me.

Really there's nothing left I can say without irritating you guys. It's a real "Put up or shut up" thing, so I'll do just that.

Please don't take my fickleness as being ungrateful. All the advice has been great, thank you, really.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2014, 07:37 by eggmoe »

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
Re: Looking for Advice
« Reply #26 on: Aug 17, 2014, 08:24 »
I know exactly where you are coming from.  Good post and good luck.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re:
« Reply #27 on: Aug 17, 2014, 11:30 »
I guess I've been keeping part of my intentions to myself, because it's embarrassing. I'm not that driven guy who can just say, "Here's my gleaming resume, this is where I'm going," but if I was that guy I wouldn't have posted a "Looking for Advice" thread. You told me to go back to school, get my degree, go WO. Which is good advice. I'm afraid to go back to school because I've failed so many classes from lack of trying. I said at the beginning of this thread that I was without direction going into this. Having no direction sucks, it's not something I'm proud of. I wish I knew exactly what I wanted like all of you guys, and I understand your frustration when talking to me. Believe me, I've stressed my parents out enough.

Even though I know "go enlisted to get experience" is a sales pitch, I think it's right for me. Enlisted nuke sounds like the best job available to me.

Really there's nothing left I can say without irritating you guys. It's a real "Put up or shut up" thing, so I'll do just that.

Please don't take my fickleness as being ungrateful. All the advice has been great, thank you, really.
I got on your case because you came back with specific questions about going Army warrant officer from Navy nuke despite the fact that multiple people explained to you that it doesn't work that way. If that recruiter is still in touch with the Army pilot whose facebook he showed you, you should pick that guy's brain. I can guarantee you that it was a very long road to get to where he is.

If the Army requires college to be a warrant and fly, you're going to have to go back to school in 6 years. But hey, at least you'll have the GI bill to do it. If it doesn't require a degree, then your service in the Navy as a nuke isn't going to give you an automatic 'in;' they're still going to want to evaluate if you can pass flight training. Their biggest indicator for that is the FAST, followed by how you did in school. The Navy will never erase your bad grades.

I will reiterate that any way you slice it, that process will occur after you EAOS, a minimum of 6 years from now. You'll also have to go to boot camp a 2nd time, then OCS.

If you join to be a Navy nuke, you should plan on being a Navy nuke at least 6 years. You might get offered an out for STA-21 in prototype, but that will be to go nuke officer. The problem is that your bad track record with college coursework is likely to get your STA-21 application denied.

If you want to be a nuke then great, welcome to the club. But every post you make is about transferring into another program, hell it's about transferring to another service. It sounds like you think that nuke is a free ticket to any other career in the military, you just have to stick it out for a couple years... that's completely wrong. I'm telling you that there are administrative and cultural hurdles that your recruiter is glossing over. He's telling you what is possible but not what is likely or encouraged by your immediate superiors. If you show up to your first command and even utter a word about wanting to do anything other than qualify senior-in-rate and EWS as quickly as possible, you are going to be hated by your peers and your life is going to be exceedingly difficult very quickly. On a 'Big Navy' level, the nuke community would rather let you walk than transfer to another Navy rate.
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2014, 11:32 by spekkio »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re:
« Reply #28 on: Aug 18, 2014, 01:02 »
One last thing -  if you must enlist and flying Army is your ultimate goal, enlist in the Army with an aviation maintenance MOS. At least you'lll be working in the same service and community. You'll be in contact with people who will be supportive of your desire to fly if you show yourself to be a hot runner. More importantly, they will know how to guide you through the process.

Offline eggmoe

• Very Lite User
« Reply #29 on: Sep 05, 2014, 12:37 »
Hey guys, good news. My package came back and I got through! I'm going to sign a nuke contract in Miami on Wednesday.
For those interested, I was actually worried because I had to write two statements for poor math grades in high school, and one self admittal of marijuana use (in high school) on top of the "Why Navy" and "Why Nuke" statements. I was surprised they weren't really interested in my college transcripts other than to confirm my timeline while I was unemployed.

I'm excited, I feel like this will be the best thing for me. Thanks again for the input guys, you don't BS and I appreciate that. I'll let you know when I get my ship date.  :)

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #30 on: Sep 05, 2014, 07:53 »
Hey guys, good news. My package came back and I got through! I'm going to sign a nuke contract in Miami on Wednesday.
For those interested, I was actually worried because I had to write two statements for poor math grades in high school, and one self admittal of marijuana use (in high school) on top of the "Why Navy" and "Why Nuke" statements. I was surprised they weren't really interested in my college transcripts other than to confirm my timeline while I was unemployed.

I'm excited, I feel like this will be the best thing for me. Thanks again for the input guys, you don't BS and I appreciate that. I'll let you know when I get my ship date.  :)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #31 on: Sep 05, 2014, 12:36 »

Good luck  [salute]

Offline eggmoe

• Very Lite User
« Reply #32 on: Nov 23, 2014, 07:17 »
Hey guys! Good news. I was able to enlist Thursday after a ton of MEPS nonsense. I had to try twice at a medical waiver for nonsense, then when I was approved to sign WEDNESDAY they lost my MEPS physical papers, so I sat in a chair all day Wednesday. So the next day I was able to swear in after doing a whole other physical lol.

I ship in April, I'm excited  :)

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #33 on: Nov 24, 2014, 07:41 »
Army Warrant Officer Helicopter Pilots do not need a degree or prior enlisted service.  They basically go from High School to WOC school at Fort Rucker Alabama.
There is no need at all to join the Navy and be a nuke if you really want to fly helicopters for the Army.
But, now that you have enlisted in the navy to be a nuke, expect to be an enlisted navy nuke.
A recruiter will tell you that you can go from the Navy Nuclear Program right into the NFL as a starting QB for the Broncos -- if that is what it takes to convince you to enlist.
Enjoy your time, and thank you for stepping up to serve.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?