Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Changing Careers to Nuke from Paralegal  

Poll

I am a former Legal Assistant and Realtor - What to do in Nuclear to get  in?

Tool Room
0 (0%)
Other??
1 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Changing Careers to Nuke from Paralegal  (Read 4446 times)

Offline bdwilson

• Very Lite User
Changing Careers to Nuke from Paralegal
« on: Aug 07, 2014, 06:02 »
I type 125+ wpm and detail oriented as I have been a Legal Assistant for 22 years and would like to get started in the Nuke field to be able to travel with my husband, Robert T. Wilson.  Where should I start to get in the door and show I can be a great asset to the company?

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
Re: Changing Careers to Nuke from Paralegal
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2014, 09:30 »
Years ago the site coordinator for the RP contract company would have a clerk or administrative assistant for the outage... not so much any more. However, you may have a shot with one of the bigger companies such as D&Z or whoever has the maintenance contract. Unfortunately, even with experience as a Legal Assistant (and I understand that is no small job) you probably could not translate that into more than admin assistant in the nuclear world (unless the utility is used to getting sued a lot.)

What does your husband do? What is his trade/craft? It is still fairly common for a Senior RP technician to get his wife/girlfriend an entry level deconner job but that is a big step down from being a legal assistant (no slam on deconners at all -- I have a deep respect for good deconners.) You could then work your way up, but it takes a while.

Good luck, what ever path you choose (or chooses you.)
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline bdwilson

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2014, 12:39 »
My husband is an Insulator.  Thank you so much for the input; very much appreciated.

Offline Ksheed

• Very Lite User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2014, 01:10 »
You should be able to get in as an admin assistant possible timekeeper? I would guess that pay would be in the $14-$20 range with OT. If you're traveling with your husband you guys would be double dipping per diem. That would help with your overall take-home pay.

Sharp admin assistants often move up to other non-manual labor roles such as schedulers, coordinators, or safety observers.

Good luck.

Offline bdwilson

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2014, 01:19 »
Thanks for the assist; have a great day.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?