Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Going overseas while on DEP as a NUKE  

Author Topic: Going overseas while on DEP as a NUKE  (Read 4237 times)

Offline NukeNyte

• Lurker
Going overseas while on DEP as a NUKE
« on: Aug 09, 2014, 07:03 »
Hello everyone! I wanted to ask for some advice, which is really, really situation specific, and I believe that hasn't been asked before.

I am currently approved to be a NUKE and I have sworn in originally as a MM (however, I have not been given my contract yet to sign over the old one <_<. This is kinda important.)
I currently hold a secret clearance.
I want to go overseas on a vacation to visit family in Indonesia during the Eid holiday in October before I ship out, as I do not know if I will get a chance to go when I am a full fledged NUKE.

This issue is this: My recruiter does NOT want me to go overseas while I am still a "approved prospect" given, I haven't even been given the contract yet. I have done my security clearance interview regarding the position, but I already have a clearance, and I have traveled to Indonesia on it before. Will going overseas cause complications with my NUKE contract in the future, or is my recruiter freaking out over something trivial?
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2014, 10:44 by NukeNyte »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Going overseas while on DEP as a NUKE
« Reply #1 on: Aug 09, 2014, 09:21 »
Are you sworn in?

If no, you go to the country and amend your security forms.

If yes, ask your recruiter to get the appropriate force protection and security packet paperwork. If he won't do it, go over his head.* You're not going to lose a clearance for traveling abroad. I have a TS/SCI clearance, have travelled to 3 countries on my own leave (ie not on deployment), and my wife has several Egyptian family members.

If you're sworn in, there's a packet they need to hand you that basically tells you not to be dumb and start blabering to the locals about how you're a U.S. servicemember or anything about work. You sign saying that you understand that you're not going to be stupid and that if you are, it could include massive fines and jail time. Then you do an NKO about being a POW and the OCONUS ATFP Level 1 training, which is an exact replica of the INCONUS ATFP Level 1 training.

*This assumes Indonesia isn't a no-go country for servicemembers or requires an Admiral's permission to visit, like Mexico did in 2012.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2014, 09:23 by spekkio »

Offline NukeNyte

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Aug 09, 2014, 10:43 »
Yes. I am currently sworn in. I will adjust the original post to reflect that.

Also, Indonesia isn't a no go country, but if I recall correctly, there is a stanch no go to Aceh, which I will be nowhere near.
« Last Edit: Aug 09, 2014, 10:46 by NukeNyte »

Samabby

« Reply #3 on: Aug 11, 2014, 11:16 »
" and I have sworn in originally as a MM "

Minor point- you may have been sworn in as a Nuke, but not as a MM. You will be assigned to one of three schools later in the process.

Best of luck, son.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?