Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUF improved ?  

Author Topic: NUF improved ?  (Read 11291 times)

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
NUF improved ?
« on: Aug 17, 2014, 03:22 »
I've recently been involved with INPO to improve quality of the NUF test.  We reviewed the test bank with emphasis on those questions that were missed most often.   We found many of these needed to be improved. Some were dropped , others rewritten.  Others we found to be challenging but good questions.   I hope those taking test this fall will see an improved product.   It still is a challenging test and requires study but hopefully most of bugs are out.   Let me know what you think of the hopefully improved test.  Good luck with your studies.
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: NUF improved ?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2014, 05:08 »
I'm grateful for the work you've done to improve the test and study material. I would love to offer my time if you need any additional help.

Offline grantime

• Heavy User
  • Retired Plant Health Physicist CHP, NRRPT
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2014, 05:18 »
Thanks, Mike.  I'm not sure what next step will be yet.  We haven't done anything yet with the study material. (Yet) . We are trying to get vision of what RPMs want this test to be. But your study guide has been big help for lots of folk. 
« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2014, 05:22 by grantime »
breath in, breath out, move on----j buffett

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2014, 06:40 »
I've recently been involved with INPO to improve quality of the NUF test.  We reviewed the test bank with emphasis on those questions that were missed most often.   We found many of these needed to be improved. Some were dropped , others rewritten.  Others we found to be challenging but good questions.   I hope those taking test this fall will see an improved product.   It still is a challenging test and requires study but hopefully most of bugs are out.   Let me know what you think of the hopefully improved test.  Good luck with your studies.

My wish list:

Some of the updates that are needed, and I hope were addressed are things like dropping mention of "film badges" and adding electronic dosimeters.
Re-wording many of the  questions based on the "RP-2 Radiation And Contamination" objectives.
Adding Portal monitors and Small article monitors to the instrument section.  As well as tele-pole/Johnson extender/Teletectors would be great.
Adding new alpha guidance.

I'm very willing to help enhance the material. It's something that I am very passionate about.  I can test/review what you have or help update the study material, or help add questions for the database, or even just suggest things that could be added.  Or help with creation of new graphics.  Anything that you think would be helpful.

Chimera

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2014, 06:54 »
The NUF needs to be maintained as a "Fundamentals" exam - the basics that are common to all power plant sites.  Any variations on instrumentation and/or procedures would be covered by the site specific materials at each site.  You don't want to overload the NUF with a bunch of site-specific information.

Offline sscone

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Aug 22, 2014, 02:44 »
I will be taking the test in a couple of days. I am hoping this improvement? Is not going to be to far from the former test. Was anything added that I need to study?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Aug 22, 2014, 04:27 »
I will be taking the test in a couple of days. I am hoping this improvement? Is not going to be to far from the former test. Was anything added that I need to study?

I don't believe the changes are live yet.

Good study material is here:  http://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,38123.0.html

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2014, 08:02 »
Radiation Protection Fundamentals Exam Changes

The Radiation Protection Fundamentals Exam will have new questions on alpha radiation added to it. The new questions will be available starting Friday (10/3/2014) in the afternoon. To support the new questions students can review an associated lesson plan.

To find the new lesson plan look under the “Reference Material” tab in the “Lesson Plans”. A new lesson plan has been added entitled “Alpha Monitoring and Control Lesson Plan”. All other lesson plans associated with this topic are in “Radiation Protection Fundamentals”.

Chimera

« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2014, 02:44 »
Am I to gather from comments in this thread that INPO is now maintaining the NUF exam and study materials?

Offline desertdog

• Moderate User
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2014, 04:22 »
The EPRI Alpha monitoring levels and actions are now in the test.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2014, 07:44 »
Am I to gather from comments in this thread that INPO is now maintaining the NUF exam and study materials?

Yes, has been since it became "NUF" and hosted on NANTeL.  It is proceduralized by NEI.  (This info is in the book 'NUF Cram Notes')

Chimera

« Reply #11 on: Oct 18, 2014, 08:51 »
Yes, has been since it became "NUF" and hosted on NANTeL.  It is proceduralized by NEI.  (This info is in the book 'NUF Cram Notes')

Oh crap!  You mean I was supposed to read those books after you sent them to me????? ;)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2014, 09:18 »
I have a copy of the new alpha study guide, it is >60 pages.  The pdf was too large to attach to this message.  I'll share it later.
« Last Edit: Oct 18, 2014, 09:18 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2014, 04:24 »
Below is a list of objectives for the new alpha material for the NUF.

Course Objectives
Fundamentals of Alpha Objectives
* Understand the characteristics of alpha and its hazard compared with beta-gamma contamination
* List typical sources of alpha radiation found in nuclear power plants and the challenges associated with its detection
Defining and Monitoring Alpha Hazards
* Describe typical tasks completed by a station to characterize its alpha source term
* Define beta-gamma to alpha ratio and how it is determined
* Explain the classification of plant systems and components and the associated beta-gamma : alpha ratio
* Describe methods for determining alpha nuclide distribution at a facility
* Describe the action levels for alpha monitoring using beta-gamma ratios, contamination survey data, and air sampling results
Work Controls
* Describe work planning controls for alpha as applied to:
     • Risk Assessment
     • Work Planning
     • RWP
     • PPE
* State considerations and rationale for job coverage air sampling in the work area
* Explain how radon can interfere with initial evaluation of alpha activity and measures to compensate for this interference
* Explain the use of personal air samplers as personal dosimetry.
* State exceptions to use of PAS in level II or level III areas
* Discuss field work controls including:
     • Stop work actions
     • Monitoring of personnel and materials
     • PPE
     • Radiological briefings
* Describe posting requirements for Level III alpha areas
Individual Monitoring
* List typical conditions that may indicate an unplanned alpha intake
* Describe the steps to take when investigating a potential unplanned alpha intake
* Recognize individual monitoring requirements based on potential dose, including actions to take and the techniques used for monitoring
* Describe the benefits and limitations for each of the following individual monitoring techniques:
     • PAS
     • WBC
     • Excreta
          o Urine
          o Feces
* Recognize potential pathways/routes of intake for alpha contamination into the body

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #14 on: Oct 29, 2014, 04:25 »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Nov 28, 2014, 03:22 »
Added a few questions to the database:

Alpha Monitoring & Control
https://www.nukeworker.com/quiz/quiz_info.php?quiz_id=37

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?