Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Weekly work search requirements for unemployment?
honeypot

Author Topic: Weekly work search requirements for unemployment?  (Read 7453 times)

Offline Coolestower

• Very Lite User
Hello, this is my first post here but this looks like the right place to ask. I did try and run a search here on this subject but most of the topics or post I find are quite old.. Anyways, I have recently been released from a plant due to lack of work, having read the employee handbook it claims that filing for unemployment is acceptable because the company pays into unemployment taxes. Upon calling the state (NY in this case, but CT also said the same thing) they let me know that in order to receive any benefits, that it is expected for me to do a minimum of 3 work searches per week or face charges or other penalties.

I suppose i'm still pretty new to all this, but I was wondering if this is typical and if so, what do you do to handle it? Do you just find other work and then quit those jobs each time a nuke job comes up, is there something you can say to get the work searches waived, or do you have some other advice on how to make it work? It's a good chunk of money to leave on the table and since it's fully legal, I'd like to take advantage of it if I can do so ethically. Unfortunately my position in plants is of the unskilled nature, so while it pays fairly well, it means my job options go from doing these jobs to working in retail or something far less in terms of revenue than even what unemployment would pay. It puts me in an unusual situation where I might be unemployed for 3 months, but the office says you can only get a waiver for one month from the start date.. Do they just want me to find another job and quit when the time comes? It would seem in itself that could put the claim in jeopardy as well.. I've been stressing about this a lot not exactly knowing how to handle it, and figured more experienced people might have some helpful suggestions? Thank you very much!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
Re: Weekly work search requirements for unemployment?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:34 »
Hello, this is my first post here but this looks like the right place to ask. I did try and run a search here on this subject but most of the topics or post I find are quite old.. Anyways, I have recently been released from a plant due to lack of work, having read the employee handbook it claims that filing for unemployment is acceptable because the company pays into unemployment taxes. Upon calling the state (NY in this case, but CT also said the same thing) they let me know that in order to receive any benefits, that it is expected for me to do a minimum of 3 work searches per week or face charges or other penalties.

I suppose i'm still pretty new to all this, but I was wondering if this is typical and if so, what do you do to handle it? Do you just find other work and then quit those jobs each time a nuke job comes up, is there something you can say to get the work searches waived, or do you have some other advice on how to make it work? It's a good chunk of money to leave on the table and since it's fully legal, I'd like to take advantage of it if I can do so ethically. Unfortunately my position in plants is of the unskilled nature, so while it pays fairly well, it means my job options go from doing these jobs to working in retail or something far less in terms of revenue than even what unemployment would pay. It puts me in an unusual situation where I might be unemployed for 3 months, but the office says you can only get a waiver for one month from the start date.. Do they just want me to find another job and quit when the time comes? It would seem in itself that could put the claim in jeopardy as well.. I've been stressing about this a lot not exactly knowing how to handle it, and figured more experienced people might have some helpful suggestions? Thank you very much!

Yes, three work searches per week is typical.

The thing to remember is that you only have to look for jobs similar to the one you were laid off from. They don't expect you to go applying for minimum wage jobs in another field.  Just diligently try to find work that you are qualified for that pays a wage you are willing to work for.

Good luck.  :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline Coolestower

• Very Lite User
« Reply #2 on: Sep 16, 2014, 05:54 »
Well say you are a high school graduate and are making maybe 40k a year doing this job all around, it's not exactly common to find work related to nuclear power, so the category to search for is pretty complicated. The wording in the papers says that 'you have to be qualified for that work' which would basically put me in the category of unskilled but higher paid person with no college education.

They also say it takes 3 actual submissions of applications or interviews, i'd not even know where to begin looking to be honest, really nerve wracking!

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2014, 06:13 »
Well say you are a high school graduate and are making maybe 40k a year doing this job all around, it's not exactly common to find work related to nuclear power, so the category to search for is pretty complicated. The wording in the papers says that 'you have to be qualified for that work' which would basically put me in the category of unskilled but higher paid person with no college education.

They also say it takes 3 actual submissions of applications or interviews, i'd not even know where to begin looking to be honest, really nerve wracking!

I'd start with the 'jobs' tab at the top of this page.  Some of the employers advertising here need laborers, deconners, etc.  Start applying with them. 

Good luck.   :)
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re:
« Reply #4 on: Sep 16, 2014, 09:30 »
Look, they say that but the only way that they will deny you benefits is if you go to them and say "I didn't apply to any jobs."

If it really makes you feel better then send your resume to 3 spammers on Monster.com.

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
Re:
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2014, 05:49 »
Look, they say that but the only way that they will deny you benefits is if you go to them and say "I didn't apply to any jobs."

If it really makes you feel better then send your resume to 3 spammers on Monster.com.

So...let me get this straight...  Are you suggesting the OP shouldn't actively look for work?
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2014, 05:50 by UncaBuffalo »

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?