Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Resume Advice/Critique for 9.5 yr MMC  

Author Topic: Resume Advice/Critique for 9.5 yr MMC  (Read 5862 times)

Offline JWDouglass13

• Lurker
Resume Advice/Critique for 9.5 yr MMC
« on: Sep 22, 2014, 04:36 »
I am getting out of the Navy in ~11 months and I am working on the "finishing" touches of my resume and would like to get some feedback on it before posting it. Thanks for any help.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BwQzW0HBgLiVSWJRTnUxNDJpemc/edit?usp=sharing

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Resume Advice/Critique for 9.5 yr MMC
« Reply #1 on: Sep 22, 2014, 06:26 »
What kind of position are you looking for?

If you're looking at Direct SRO, you can focus more on how you're qualified to lead people and less on what subjects you taught. Also, you'll want to add the date you qualified PPWS so they know how many months you actually stood it. On that note, nobody cares about qualifying CRW, they want RO/PPWS/PPWO (or sub equivalent).

If you're looking for an instructor position, you can focus more on the training aspects. The plus side, if you're short 24 months of PPWS on the ship, it's not "required" for instructor since you'll be getting a cert vice a license, depending on the plant.

Ok, now to specifics:
Able to motivate others: Prove it or save it for the interview.
Project manager: How many projects did you manage and did you achieve 100% customer satisfaction (face it, we're all focused on that, the real question is, did we get it).
Capable of hiring....: If you haven't actually hired/fired anyone, drop it. I'd leave the evaluating off as well and save it for the interview.
RMLPO: Unless you were in charge of both plants, that number seems a bit high, so be careful if you get an interviewer with A4W experience.
CRW: Again, nobody really cares, the PPWS shows more leadership.

Good luck with the job search.

Offline JWDouglass13

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Sep 22, 2014, 07:45 »
Thanks for the help.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Sep 23, 2014, 10:09 »
I would delete the entire skills and qualifications section.

You should put the "meat" or your resume first..., the part that is most relevant to the job that you're applying for. If you're applying for, say, SRO, then your experience should be first, then education. Like MMM said, tailor it to the job. If you want SRO, for example, don't bury the one thing that qualifies you for that, near the bottom of your experience.

Along with your other military training, I'd list all of the first line supervisor courses that you went to as well, you can find them on your SMART transcipt. Lose the all caps on the navy schools, and don't put spaces between them.

I'm a fan of opening the resume with a 1-2 sentence objective, tailored to the position that you're applying for.

Good luck.

Justin
« Last Edit: Sep 23, 2014, 10:12 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2014, 05:26 »
Remember your resume is pretty much just to get you an interview. The interview (and possibly some testing) gets you the job. During the interview you'll be asked about times you were in different situations, what you did and what the outcome was. If it happens to be a situation where you were unsuccessful, also include what you learned from it and how that influenced what you did in the future.

Also keep in mind that SRO positions only open up when a class is getting put together, which is about every 2 years or so (my plant is doubling up as we're short on operators, so it's about every year), so if you're set on a specific area it can be tough.

Samabby

« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2014, 11:24 »
Best wishes as you enter the next phase of your career, Chief. From a very layperson point of view, it appears that you have accomplished much during the past 10 years.

rusty7783

« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2014, 12:53 »
If you haven't been hit up by a head hunter already just re-enlist.

HeavyD

« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2014, 07:43 »
If you haven't been hit up by a head hunter already just reenlist.

This has got to be one of the absolute worst pieces of advice I have personally ever seen on these forums.  Granted I've only been coming here for about 3 years, but I stand by my statement.

A head hunter is NOT the key to a job on the outside.  I got my job on my own, without a head hunter.  To suggest that someone committ the extra years to Active duty simply because they haven't had contact from a head hunter is not only bad advice, it's bordering on irresponsible. 

OK, rant over.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?