Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Ex-Navy honeypot

Author Topic: Ex-Navy  (Read 6905 times)

Offline MMKress

• Very Lite User
Ex-Navy
« on: Oct 02, 2014, 08:13 »
I am an ex-Navy Machinist Mate.  I made it to the last week of power school but was academic dropped by a tenth of a point.  I went into the conventual Navy working in the Pit on the steam plants, in the oil/fuel testing lab, and on the steam catapult system while also standing various other A Gang watches.  After leaving the Navy I finished my BA in History.  I am very interested in getting into a Power Plant job most specifically in Pennsylvania.  What would be my options and best plan of attack for getting into this profession?  I currently am a sheetmetal fabricator for a helicopter company where the company also pays for schooling in whatever field I prefer.   Thanks for the advice.

Jason

Offline retired nuke

• Family Man
  • Very Heavy User
  • No longer a nuke
Re: Ex-Navy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2014, 10:49 »
Sounds like you will be a great addition to the mechanical maintenance crew at any industrial facility. The history degree will not likely help.... but I'll bet it was interesting.
Look on the job boards here. Look at the utility websites - most large power plants only start the hiring process from their online job applications.
Is there a particular reason you want to go into a power plant? You probably have a good background / experience that would apply in almost any process industry.
Remember who you love. Remember what is sacred. Remember what is true.
Remember that you will die, and that this day is a gift. Remember how you wish to live, may the blessing of the Lord be with you

Offline fourteener

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:25 »
Send me an email at nebraskacyclist@yahoo.com  We'll talk off-line.  I can provide some relative insights.

Offline MMKress

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2014, 11:38 »
I actually enjoyed my time at Nuke school and in the military, especially the job I was doing.  I've always wished that I was able to finish nuke school instead of being so close and being dropped.  I am a hands on learner and learn that way best therefore prototype would have been a blast.  It would be great to get into the power plant industry not only to support my family but also to conquer a past failed goal.

Offline a|F

• Moderate User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 02, 2014, 06:47 »
I actually enjoyed my time at Nuke school and in the military, especially the job I was doing.  I've always wished that I was able to finish nuke school instead of being so close and being dropped.  I am a hands on learner and learn that way best therefore prototype would have been a blast.  It would be great to get into the power plant industry not only to support my family but also to conquer a past failed goal.

That all sounds good.  Why then did you pursue a history degree?  We have so many applicants for these positions.  Most of them have passed power school or have a degree in a technical field.  Have you found study material for the POSS, MASS, etc?  That would be step #1- ensure you can pass the test to even get to the interview.

Offline MMKress

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 03, 2014, 04:32 »
I wasn't sure what I wanted to do when I got out of the Navy.  My last 6 months in the Navy I spent quite a bit of free time taking various Dantes and CLEP tests.  The BA in History was the degree I was closest to obtaining through those tests.  I actually only had to take 2 online classes to complete it.  I have seen quite a bit of study material on this site and a wealth of information I plan to put to use.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #6 on: Oct 03, 2014, 06:10 »
Where in PA are you looking? I don't know who's hiring right now, but there's Beaver Valley (First Energy) outside of Pittsburgh, Limerick (Exelon) outside of Philadelphia, and Susquehanna (PPL, soon to be Talen) south of Scranton. I don't think there are any other nuke plants in PA, although there are some just outside the state in NJ, MD, and NY.

Good luck.

Offline hamsamich

• Very Heavy User
  • And did I hear a 9er in there?
« Reply #7 on: Oct 03, 2014, 06:55 »
You could always apply nuclear and fossil.  If you get into fossil become a control room operator.  If you still really want to move to nuclear you might be more marketable as a non-lic. operator with fossil control room under your belt.  I don't know how hard a fossil job is to get though.  If the economy really does pick up eventually, many people drop back out of nuclear plant jobs and there may be more openings and lower standards for hiring at some plants.  If you were a really good machinist mate and worked on diesels and mechanical systems you could also contend for a nuclear mechanic job, because alot of the systems are non-nuclear.  Like emergency diesels.  If you have a specific specialty on a non-nuclear system it could be very similar to what nuke plants use and it could be your ace in the hole at an interview.  These are all long shots but different ways I have actually heard of non-nukes getting into power plant jobs.  The best way is to know somebody IMHO.  Another way is to get into any field as a contractor that works at nuclear plants, like iron worker or a valve technician.  Once you get in there and shine somebody could notice you.

One piece of advice:  Do not concentrate too hard on PA, put in for jobs all over the country and when you get experience it will be easier to get a job in PA.  Many people have done this, including me.

i

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?