Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Enlisted Nuke to College Student to Officer honeypot

Author Topic: Enlisted Nuke to College Student to Officer  (Read 3094 times)

Offline Antonius

• Lurker
Enlisted Nuke to College Student to Officer
« on: Oct 10, 2014, 04:33 »
Hello everyone!

I recently completed the ASVAB at my local MEPS and am not yet sworn in. As you can see, from the clickable image on the right, I've got some fairly good scores. Category I on the AFQT and good combined scores for EL and NUC which, to my understanding, at least one of these must be greater than or equal to 252 in order to become an ETN. Or is it required that I take the NAPT also? Still not quite clear on that. But anyways, that's not my main question.

I've been reading through many posts here which have been very helpful to me. But I'm still not clear on some things. My ambitious long term goal is to become a Naval Reactors Engineer which, as I understand and I may be wrong on this, requires at least O-1 rank which, of course, requires college. So, being where I am now, I'll end up going through the pipeline and at some point in time I'll go to school to be an officer. I've heard around that TESC BSAST in Nuclear Engineering is the best option. Anyway, if all this is right, then when is the right time to apply for TESC in the pipeline? Will the Navy be able to pay? Will credits be transferable from the JST? What the heck is ODS and is that a requirement? Are there any better routes?

~ Many thanks to all respondents :)
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2014, 04:54 by Antonius »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re:
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2014, 11:37 »
If your long-term goal is NRE, then the best and quickest way to get there is to enroll in college, get As in your intro technical courses, and apply for NUPOC NRE option as soon as you are eligible, which I think is toward the end of your sophomore year.

The Navy doesn't pay for your tuition to go to school in this route, but you do collect E6 pay plus BAH for up to two years until you graduate, which you can use any way you like, plus you are free to get a part time job if that's not enough.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?