Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu What is your Nuke story? honeypot

Author Topic: What is your Nuke story?  (Read 5825 times)

Offline NuclearNicholas

• Very Lite User
What is your Nuke story?
« on: Oct 15, 2014, 08:26 »
Hello veteran/current/future Nukes.  My name is Nick and I am a long time reader, first time writer.  I had many many questions before stumbling upon this site.  After reading through nearly every post (twice) I am glad to say I don't have any questions about what to expect for my future.  The reason for this post is that I want to know what your personal Nuke experience was like.  What state were you in before you signed that contract.  How did the program change you for the better? or for worse? What's your best sea story?  What was the most difficult aspect?  Things of that nature.

As for myself, I am 23 years old with an associates degree in science.  I stopped going to school because I simply ran out of money.  I was working on becoming an electrical engineer.  I got married and moved across the country and ended up in California.  I've grown tired of dead end jobs so I decided to follow my heart and serve my country.  Nuke was not my first choice.  I wanted to be a Marine in the beginning.  But after getting a 99 on the asvab, I was curious as to what other opportunities might be open for me.  Immediately the Navy wanted me to go nuke (of course).  I said no at first, but after talking with my wife and praying hard about it, we decided that this program would definitely benefit our family the most in the long run. 

I am going to try for MM. Which, after reading all your posts, sounds like it will be a breeze to snag since they are in such demand.  I ship out in February and can not wait to start this journey. 

Thanks for all of your helpful posts.

Nick,

Offline Smart People

• Rad Engineer/Shipper
  • Very Heavy User
  • I like being around smart people
Re: What is your Nuke story?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 16, 2014, 06:44 »
Welcome to Nukeworker Nick!

Thank you for looking at our posts first and figuring things out for yourself.

and for wanting to serve

Best newbie post I've seen in a long while.

Blessed is the man who can laugh at himself--he will never cease to be amused
Think twice and say nothing..Chiun
I'm as big a fool as anyone..And bigger than most.. Odd Thomas

Offline scotoma

• Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Oct 17, 2014, 10:28 »
Thank you for your service to your country. I joined in '71. I put in for ET. I scored high on all the aptitude tests, so they made me an EM. That is what they were short of, so that is what I got. No good deed goes unpunished. Of course, that was 40+ years ago, so some things may have changed.
Your first task is to get through basic training. It can be daunting, but don't get discouraged. The real navy is much different and better (don't laugh, you ex-squids, I speaking relatively). Just grit your teeth, do what you are told, and don't try to make sense of it. there are a lot of intellectually challenged in this phase of the military.
After basic is A school which is a snap. Then Nuke school, which with your science background should also be a breeze. You will learn a lot of good info, most of which will apply specifically to the navy. You will have to do things the navy way and there is close to zero tolerance to stray from the path. Follow procedures, obey orders, and you'll do okay. When you get out and take a commercial nuclear job, they expect the same.

Chimera

« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2014, 02:51 »
The "real" Navy . . .

When I was in boot camp, they said, "This isn't the real Navy.  Wait until you get out of here before you make any career decisions."

When I was in ET A School, they said, "This isn't the real Navy.  Wait until you get out of here before you make any career decisions."

When I was on the submarine tender in San Diego, they said, "This isn't the real Navy.  Wait until you get out of here before you make any career decisions."

When I was going through Nuclear Power School, they said, "This isn't the real Navy.  Wait until you get out of here before you make any career decisions."

When I was in Submarine School, they said, "This isn't the real Navy.  Wait until you get out of here before you make any career decisions."

So I finally made it to my first submarine.  But, because it was in the  yards going through a weapons conversion and refueling, they said, . . .

Somehow I think I managed to make it through seven years in Uncle Sam's Navy without ever really finding the "real" Navy.

Offline sderyke2002

• Very Lite User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 18, 2014, 06:56 »
I enlisted in 1973 and wanted ET and got EM school at Great Lakes.  But half way through since I was doing so well I asked to be moved over to ET and my request was granted.  Later at Nuke school at Mare Island I actually shared a room with the guy who (at that time) had the highest average to ever come out of EM school - Pete Willenbring.  Never kept in contact with him so don't know what he went on to do. I got out after 6 and used the GI Bill to go to school and get my BA in Physics.  Then I worked for Newport News Shipbuilding doing submarine overhaul analysis.  Left there after about 2 year to go back to school and get my MA in Nuclear Physics, thesis was on Electromagnetic Form Factors of Nuclear Structure.  I never really used it though as I went into Electromagnetics for 6 years and then found more money in Computers - which is where I am currently working and will retire from soon I hope.

On a side note I wonder if anyone remembers the song about Nuke school which was set to the music of Ballad of the Green Beret.  I only remember a few lines like -

Back at home a young nuke drinks
His last test he failed he thinks

and (talking about his son at the end of the song)

He can be an army puke
Just don't let him be a nuke.

Would love to have all the words to the song if anyone has them.

Steve

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2014, 12:59 »
Lucky if you could get better then three section duty. 

You work your ass off and watch operations and weapons and other divisions, well, have more time off EVERYWHERE!
Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:08 »

....I am going to try for MM. Which, after reading all your posts, sounds like it will be a breeze to snag since they are in such demand.  I ship out in February and can not wait to start this journey. .........

post back after you qualify ELT and SIR on your first sea command,...

until then, I have fish to catch,...

good luck,....until then,....[coffee]

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?