Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Advice for a Future MM honeypot

Author Topic: Advice for a Future MM  (Read 4333 times)

Offline NuclearNicholas

• Very Lite User
Advice for a Future MM
« on: Oct 20, 2014, 04:19 »
Hello all,

I just had a quick and simple question.  I really want to become an MM with an ELT/ or Welding skill set.  Can MM's still qualify to do welding?  I had seen some older posts (from back in 2003-2009) that said they could, but I also saw evidence that they were phasing it out of the Nuclear community.  Would anyone happen to know? 

Thanks,

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: Advice for a Future MM
« Reply #1 on: Oct 20, 2014, 09:42 »
Yes, nuke MMs still get picked up for welder. When I left NPTU a few months ago, I think we were picking up 1-2 per class at my plant. My memory might be a little faulty as far as the numbers go since we hadn't graduated a class since January.

HeavyD

« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2014, 08:20 »
Keep in mind that you need to be a sub volunteer in order to be eligible for this.  Also, the qualification is for you to be an "emergency welder".  That means that your skills would utilized while underway in order to facilitate a repair to help the boat get safely back to somewhere that proper repairs can be made.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve! 

Offline NuclearNicholas

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2014, 01:31 »
Keep in mind that you need to be a sub volunteer in order to be eligible for this.  Also, the qualification is for you to be an "emergency welder".  That means that your skills would utilized while underway in order to facilitate a repair to help the boat get safely back to somewhere that proper repairs can be made.

Best of luck and thank you for volunteering to serve! 

Thanks for the helpful information.  I had no idea you needed to be a sub volunteer in order to pick up welding.  Does this mean that you will need to be a dive welder?  How likely would I be able to pick up this skill?  I know you said that there are only 1-2 per class, does that mean not a lot of people go for it? Or that it is really selective?
« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2014, 06:53 by NuclearNicholas »

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2014, 01:28 »
Thanks for the helpful information.  I had no idea you needed to be a sub volunteer in order to pick up welding.  Does this mean that you will need to be a dive welder?  How likely would I be able to pick up this skill?  I know you said that there are only 1-2 per class, does that mean not a lot of people go for it? Or that it is really selective?
Each boat is (was?) required to maintain at least two MM's who are qualified emergency welder. As HeavyD stated, this is solely so that the boat has someone to weld some metal in a dire situation. You won't be welding the side of the hull and the chances of you actually welding anything onboard a boat while underway are near 0. You'll weld something like once or twice a year, in a shop at the sub base, to prove that you still know what you are doing.

Realistically, welder will work like most collateral duties: If you show up to your command and the division needs a welder, they might send you to weld school because they're not 'losing' anyone by sending a non-qual. There are a handful of other specialty schools you might get sent to.

Welding for the Navy is mostly done by shipyard workers, who are civilians.
« Last Edit: Oct 23, 2014, 01:29 by spekkio »

Offline DLGN25

• Moderate User
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2014, 01:03 »
If you want to learn how to weld, become a Hull Technician...  Formerly called a ship-fitter, who also did underwater welding.

Surely oak and three-fold brass surrounded his heart who first trusted a frail vessel to a merciless ocean.  Horace

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?