Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu RCT Cram Notes honeypot

Author Topic: RCT Cram Notes  (Read 30536 times)

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
RCT Cram Notes
« on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:42 »
I'm thinking about making a 'Cram Notes' for the DOE Core RCT test.  Is there any interest in this?
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2016, 10:02 by Rennhack »

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
Re: DOE CORE Cram Notes
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2014, 10:19 »
If not, there should be!
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2014, 04:02 »
Well,  I started work on it.

Chimera

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:29 »
Perhaps I should start a new thread for this but:

I've been digging through the various DOE Handbooks and Standards relative to RCT training and qualifications.  Everything talks about the "core" materials but nothing seems to give a clear, concise definition of what the "core" materials are.  While it's generally accepted that the "core" is the fundamental academic study guides (1.01 through 1.13), some sources imply that the general portions of the site academic study guides (2.01 through 2.19) should also be included in the "core" materials.

Also . . . where did the "core card" come from?  I can't find any reference to the card or a template for what it should look like.  I have a template that I use (the one I inherited) when I do RCT training but I've seen several variations on the theme from different sites.

etm

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2014, 06:55 »
My understanding is that the "Core" is limited to 1.1 - 1.13.  Section 2 is still fundamental, but addresses site procedures, instruments and radiological conditions.  For that reason, a tech usually has some more training after showing up the first day.  For us, that is 6-8 weeks.  I have heard for others, on the order of days.  The format of the card is left to the discretion of the site.  Ours only includes name, expiration date and certifying official.  Whether or not, a site accepts even the "core" from another site is left to the discretion of the RPM for the site.  Most do not allow for reciprocity of the core card much less RCT quals.  There used to be consistency amongst the sites, but each has now deviated so far from the original expectations (going back to the DOE RadCon Manual in 1993) ... 

Offline Radwraith

• Heavy User
  • How much am I getting for this?
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2014, 08:25 »
My understanding is that the "Core" is limited to 1.1 - 1.13.  Section 2 is still fundamental, but addresses site procedures, instruments and radiological conditions.  For that reason, a tech usually has some more training after showing up the first day.  For us, that is 6-8 weeks.  I have heard for others, on the order of days.  The format of the card is left to the discretion of the site.  Ours only includes name, expiration date and certifying official.  Whether or not, a site accepts even the "core" from another site is left to the discretion of the RPM for the site.  Most do not allow for reciprocity of the core card much less RCT quals.  There used to be consistency amongst the sites, but each has now deviated so far from the original expectations (going back to the DOE RadCon Manual in 1993) ... 
I just took the Core test from a site and this is how they handled it. Your "Core card" is the test itself. The rest is kind of like "site specifics at a nuke plant.
Remember the seven P's: Proper Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #6 on: Oct 24, 2014, 09:17 »
Perhaps I should start a new thread for this but:

I've been digging through the various DOE Handbooks and Standards relative to RCT training and qualifications.  Everything talks about the "core" materials but nothing seems to give a clear, concise definition of what the "core" materials are.  While it's generally accepted that the "core" is the fundamental academic study guides (1.01 through 1.13), some sources imply that the general portions of the site academic study guides (2.01 through 2.19) should also be included in the "core" materials.

Also . . . where did the "core card" come from?  I can't find any reference to the card or a template for what it should look like.  I have a template that I use (the one I inherited) when I do RCT training but I've seen several variations on the theme from different sites.

Great question.

DOE Standardized Training Includes:
      Qualification Standard (Time &GED, etc)
      Phase I, Fundamental Academic Training "The Core portion of the Core materials"
      Phase I, Site Academic Training  
      Phase II, Site Practical Training AKA Job Performance Measure's (JPM)
      Phase III, Oral Examination Boards
      Phase IV, Facility Practical Training (a subset of the site practical training)

Phase I - Academic Training:
Phase I is divided into two sections: Fundamental Academics and Site Academics.

a. The Fundamental Academics section includes the following 13 lessons:
1.01 Basic Mathematics and Algebra
1.02 Unit Analysis and Conversion
1.03 Physical Sciences
1.04 Nuclear Physics
1.05 Sources of Radiation
1.06 Radioactivity and Radioactive Decay
1.07 Interaction of Radiation with Matter
1.08 Biological Effects of Radiation
1.09 Radiological Protection Standards
1.10 ALARA
1.11 External Exposure Control
1.12 Internal Exposure Control
1.13 Radiation Detector Theory

These 13 lessons contain generic fundamental theory and do not contain any site-specific information. They represent the minimal standard information recommended to be taught to an RCT. These lessons should be taught by all DOE sites.

b. The Site Academics section contains the following 19 lessons:
2.01 Radiological Documentation
2.02 Communication Systems
2.03 Counting Errors and Statistics
2.04 Dosimetry
2.05 Contamination Control
2.06 Airborne Sampling Program/Methods
2.07 Respiratory Protection
2.08 Radioactive Source Control
2.09 Environmental Monitoring
2.10 Access Control and Work Area Setup
2.11 Radiological Work Coverage
2.12 Shipment and Receipt of Radioactive Material
2.13 Radiological Incidents and Emergencies
2.14 Personnel Decontamination
2.15 Radiological Considerations for First Aid
2.16 Radiation Survey Instrumentation
2.17 Contamination Monitoring Instrumentation
2.18 Air Sampling Equipment
2.19 Counting Room Equipment

These lessons include objectives covering general information relative to the topic and common to all DOE sites, and objectives where the information may vary with the site. Each DOE site should determine appropriate site academic lessons and objectives based on job responsibilities and requirements as identified through a site-specific job evaluation. Facilities that have not conducted a job evaluation should teach all Phase I lessons and objectives.

The entire package is regulated by DOE-HDBK-1122-99 and distributed as a 'core group of material', the 'Phase I, Fundamental Academic Training' remains unchanged, while 'Phase I, Site Academic Training' is customized at each site as well as the Site Practical Training.  So the entire package IS the core, but only 'Phase I, Fundamental Academic Training' is transferable.  Thus it has come to be known as "The Core", because it is the only portion 'that matters' when it comes to accepting training from another source.  Additional training is expected to be tailored and given on site.

So, SHOULD any training given consist of more than the basic 13 Fundamentals? Yes, it isn't considered the "Core" until you've done it all.  However, only those 13 Fundamentals are transferable... so unless you are getting it at the site you are going, there is no reciprocity and no point to do more. (Other than... you know.... actually learning the stuff you are supposed know)

I hope this helps you.
« Last Edit: Oct 24, 2014, 09:37 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2014, 12:54 »
It was good for me to review the standards. I intend to make the Cram Notes, so I will need to include this info.

Chimera

« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2014, 04:55 »
I'm glad to see you arrived at the same conclusions (or lack thereof) that I did.  I did take the time and trouble to make the Site Specific Study Guides into true site specifics for the site where I'm working.  I've been reluctant to hand out "Core Cards" until the candidates have passed the fundamental and site academic exams and completed the practical as described in the various DOE Handbooks and Standards.  Because of the "should" statement, this site has decided to forego the oral board as part of the biennial training.  Also, because of the way our procedures are worded, the "Core" and the "Site Specific" exams are separate.  The "Site Specific" exam is treated more as a procedure exam since I've added our site's information to the generalized DOE material included in Study Guides 2.01 through 2.19.

Thank you, Mike, for taking the trouble to review some of the same materials I've been digging through.  I appreciate your efforts.

Michael

old raddog

« Reply #9 on: Oct 29, 2014, 07:08 »
That would be great for all. Anytime some one comes up with more good study material it is always a + for all.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #10 on: Oct 29, 2014, 10:15 »
I have a lot of other stuff on my plate right now that is taking priority over this project for the next few days.  I would appreciate a bump to this post in a few days to get me back on task.

End of the month invoices
SSL/https issues
HOA Treasurer stuff
Addressing new Alpha stuff on NUF
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2014, 10:32 by Rennhack »

Offline Nuclear NASCAR

• Electrician
  • Forum Administrator
  • Everyone needs a Harley. Mine's furry with 4 legs.
« Reply #11 on: Nov 03, 2014, 04:57 »
Bump
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."

-Bertrand Russell

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2014, 08:09 »
End of the month invoices
SSL/https issues
HOA Treasurer stuff
Addressing new Alpha stuff on NUF

I have been working on it a little, I have the first 2/3 ruffed in.

Offline smac1

• Lurker
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2015, 01:11 »
I'm thinking about making a 'Cram Notes' for the DOE Core RCT test.  Is there any interest in this?

If it is close to  being as good as the NUF cram notes then definitely do it.

Offline radranger

• Light User
« Reply #14 on: Apr 13, 2015, 04:34 »
yes

Offline bramwell

• Very Lite User
« Reply #15 on: Apr 15, 2015, 03:18 »
I'm interested to read about it.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #16 on: Nov 02, 2015, 12:53 »
I have been working on it a little, I have the first 2/3 ruffed in.

I lost what I was working on, and had to start over.  The good news is that there is less on my plate, and I have started on it again. (From scratch)

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #17 on: Nov 09, 2015, 10:01 »
..... I have the first 2/3 ruffed in.

yore dune sew much bettor wit communications. isle hafta by yew a drink sum thyme.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2015, 05:31 »
I lost what I was working on, and had to start over.  The good news is that there is less on my plate, and I have started on it again. (From scratch)

My outage ended, and I am back home for a week before I move on to the next job.   I found my 2014 work on the DOE Cram notes.  It's actually a few days more complete than the material I just re-did from scratch.  So it looks like that was a big waste of time. Oh well.  We'll get it done eventually.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2016, 10:22 »
Update:

Work on the DOE Cram notes continues.  I was very successful during my 'discovery' process.  There is a lot of information to cover.  There are 32 Chapters in the DOE material, and all objectives are tested.  The NUF has about 5 chapters that are tested.  Even the 'Cram Notes' for the DOE Core will be sizable.

I anticipate having the book finished in about a year, potentially sooner.  The Cram notes will cover all 32 chapters, not just the first 13.

I'll probably enhance the online practice test for the DOE core test as well during this process.  As out online practice test only covers 13/32 of the material.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #20 on: Apr 02, 2016, 09:33 »
Even the 'Cram Notes' for the DOE Core will be sizable.
I anticipate having the book finished in about a year, potentially sooner.  The Cram notes will cover all 32 chapters, not just the first 13.

I'm getting a lot of requests for the RCT Cram notes.  I have the first (13 chapters) part almost finished.  I had intended to publishing one book, with part 1 and part 2 together.  However, I'm considering publishing part 1 now, to try to help folks that need something NOW.

Is there any interest in the "Part 1" section?  (Heck, some sites only test on Part 1)

Chimera

« Reply #21 on: Apr 04, 2016, 07:39 »
You may want to take a hard look at the "Site Academic Training Guide" study guides.  the stuff in Part 6 of DOE-HDBK-1122-2009 is intended to be generic although it isn't necessarily.  Assuming that other DOE sites are like mine, those 19 Study Guides have been modified to include site specific material.

The biennial requal exam is a comprehensive exam covering both the Fundamental Academics and the Site Academics.  For new hires here, exams on the two parts are given separately.  The Site Academic exam is basically a procedure exam since those 19 Study Guides have all been modified to conform to our procedures.  In some instances, such as instruments, the generic materials don't apply.  The DOE materials list meters we don't use and omits a lot of instruments we do use.  Even the equation for Lc is slightly different on this site than in the DOE materials.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #22 on: Apr 04, 2016, 06:20 »
You may want to take a hard look at the "Site Academic Training Guide" study guides.  the stuff in Part 6 of DOE-HDBK-1122-2009 is intended to be generic although it isn't necessarily.  Assuming that other DOE sites are like mine, those 19 Study Guides have been modified to include site specific material.

The biennial requal exam is a comprehensive exam covering both the Fundamental Academics and the Site Academics.  For new hires here, exams on the two parts are given separately.  The Site Academic exam is basically a procedure exam since those 19 Study Guides have all been modified to conform to our procedures.  In some instances, such as instruments, the generic materials don't apply.  The DOE materials list meters we don't use and omits a lot of instruments we do use.  Even the equation for Lc is slightly different on this site than in the DOE materials.

Thank you for the feedback.  I intend to publish a generic version of the site specifics.  Obviously I can not know what each site has done, but I can give people a great starter foundation on which to build.

Your message lends further credence to breaking up my RCT study guide into two parts.

On to important things, what should I call it? "RCT Cram Notes" or "DOE Core Cram Notes".  I'm leaning towards 'RCT Cram Notes' at the moment.

Chimera

« Reply #23 on: Apr 05, 2016, 10:35 »
I tend to lean that way myself.

Offline Mike McFarlin

• Safety/Chemist/Health Physicist
  • Very Heavy User
  • Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way!
« Reply #24 on: Apr 05, 2016, 05:27 »
RCT Core Cram Notes, perhaps.
"Duty is the sublimest word in our language. Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee, C.S.A.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?