Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Manning for the Ohio Replacement Program

Author Topic: Manning for the Ohio Replacement Program  (Read 3626 times)

Offline Powers611

• Lurker
Manning for the Ohio Replacement Program
« on: Oct 28, 2014, 10:43 »
Can anyone te me if manning has started for the ORP? I'm finishing up with Prototype and am wondering what the chances are that I could be sent to Virginia for the program. Also is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting into the ORP? Thanks for any help.

HeavyD

Re: Manning for the Ohio Replacement Program
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2014, 12:54 »
Some additional background info would help.

Are you a student finishing prototype or a staff?

Are you trying to go one of the new boats or wanting to be a part of the design program?

If you are trying to be a part of the actual design program, that's not gonna happen.  At least, I could'nt dream up some way for that to happen.

If you are a student finishing prototype, you're going to the fleet.  The Navy didn't spend upwards of $200k training and paying you to be an operator and not have you, you know, operate a plant. 

The exception I've seen to this was back when NR-1 was still operational.  Occasionally 1 or 2 students would get selected for the NR-1 support crew, which meant you were assigned to the crew that did the sub's upkeep while it was not preforming research missions.

Offline Powers611

• Lurker
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2014, 06:02 »
I'm a student finishing up. I was hoping to be a part of the boats crew after construction. Not the design team. I had read that construction wasn't starting until 2018 though for the Ohio replacement. I didn't know if manning for the boat would start this early. If not would it be better to be a staff pickup at prototype to spend 2 more years here in charleston and get some plant experience and then try getting sent there.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2014, 08:59 »
I'm a student finishing up. I was hoping to be a part of the boats crew after construction. Not the design team. I had read that construction wasn't starting until 2018 though for the Ohio replacement. I didn't know if manning for the boat would start this early. If not would it be better to be a staff pickup at prototype to spend 2 more years here in charleston and get some plant experience and then try getting sent there.

A bit old but info should still be good. April 3, 2013

Report: Navy Ohio Replacement (SSBN[X]) Ballistic Missile Submarine Program

Under the Navy’s FY2012 budget, the first Ohio replacement boat was scheduled to be procured in FY2019,

http://news.usni.org/2013/04/03/report-navy-ohio-replacement-ssbnx-ballistic-missile-submarine-program

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2014, 10:23 »

You are very, very early for this.

You want to go to an operational boat for your first tour so that you can get qualified. Otherwise, you'll end up spending a lot of extra time at work for failing at an impossible task until your boat can find you someone to go ride.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?