Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NUF revamp honeypot

Author Topic: NUF revamp  (Read 4319 times)

Offline fred

• Light User
NUF revamp
« on: Oct 29, 2014, 02:39 »
Where can I find the updated study material for the NUF? I was told it could be found on Nantel, however all the info is the same old same old. I took the exam today, and failed because I dont have the updated Info. Any help would be welcomed as to where I could find this Info.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: NUF revamp
« Reply #1 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:47 »

http://www.westrain.org/NEW_NEI_Alpha.pdf

Course Objectives
Fundamentals of Alpha Objectives
* Understand the characteristics of alpha and its hazard compared with beta-gamma contamination
* List typical sources of alpha radiation found in nuclear power plants and the challenges associated with its detection
Defining and Monitoring Alpha Hazards
* Describe typical tasks completed by a station to characterize its alpha source term
* Define beta-gamma to alpha ratio and how it is determined
* Explain the classification of plant systems and components and the associated beta-gamma : alpha ratio
* Describe methods for determining alpha nuclide distribution at a facility
* Describe the action levels for alpha monitoring using beta-gamma ratios, contamination survey data, and air sampling results
Work Controls
* Describe work planning controls for alpha as applied to:
     • Risk Assessment
     • Work Planning
     • RWP
     • PPE
* State considerations and rationale for job coverage air sampling in the work area
* Explain how radon can interfere with initial evaluation of alpha activity and measures to compensate for this interference
* Explain the use of personal air samplers as personal dosimetry.
* State exceptions to use of PAS in level II or level III areas
* Discuss field work controls including:
     • Stop work actions
     • Monitoring of personnel and materials
     • PPE
     • Radiological briefings
* Describe posting requirements for Level III alpha areas
Individual Monitoring
* List typical conditions that may indicate an unplanned alpha intake
* Describe the steps to take when investigating a potential unplanned alpha intake
* Recognize individual monitoring requirements based on potential dose, including actions to take and the techniques used for monitoring
* Describe the benefits and limitations for each of the following individual monitoring techniques:
     • PAS
     • WBC
     • Excreta
          o Urine
          o Feces
* Recognize potential pathways/routes of intake for alpha contamination into the body
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2014, 03:53 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2014, 03:53 »
Where can I find the updated study material for the NUF? I was told it could be found on Nantel, however all the info is the same old same old. I took the exam today, and failed because I dont have the updated Info. Any help would be welcomed as to where I could find this Info.

How many questions would you say there were on this material?  And can you pick which of the objectives listed above they pertained to? (That part is important)  Thanks!
« Last Edit: Oct 29, 2014, 04:04 by Rennhack »

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #3 on: Oct 29, 2014, 04:25 »

Offline fred

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2014, 09:01 »
Mike, I believe there were about four questions covering alpha. WBC limitations..% of smears to count for alpha..% of dose received vs alpha level.. I dint recall the other..Thank You for the link to Westrain study material. I tried to get on that site before, but could not. I assumed it was no longer operated. The site I'm at could not provide me with the updated material either. You probably just saved my Ars. Thank you. I have none of my study material with me at this site, as I was not anticipating on being here, so I'm at a disadvantage. Study material on line is not the same as paper in hand fir me.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2014, 03:21 »
Added a few questions to the database:

Alpha Monitoring & Control
https://www.nukeworker.com/quiz/quiz_info.php?quiz_id=37

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?