Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Shipyard Radiation Protection questions  

Author Topic: Shipyard Radiation Protection questions  (Read 9609 times)

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User
Shipyard Radiation Protection questions
« on: Nov 07, 2014, 02:45 »
I recently graduated as a Radiation protection Technician in a community college . While going to school I kept hearing about the different paths I could take with my associate degree, but I heard mostly about DOE and commercial. I recently applied for a shipyard position and I am really excited about it. I have been searching on this site for any information of how work in a shipyard is like but I haven’t found a lot. I would like to know how different is the job compared to commercial. I worked an outage as a junior RP recently. How is the job for women? How hard is the 6 month training? How is the pay and the benefits? In the application only a yearly income was posted but I am wondering how much is paid per hour. So far what I know is that it requires a lot of traveling which I don’t mind since I am not married and I don’t have children. Do you have any advice for me in case I do get the job?  ;D

Offline twinkletoni

• Light User
Re: Shipyard Radiation Protection questions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2014, 07:24 »
I just sent you a rather long private message.  I hope the info helps.

Toni

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2014, 11:41 »
I recently graduated as a Radiation protection Technician in a community college....

congratulations,...

...While going to school I kept hearing about the different paths I could take with my associate degree, but I heard mostly about DOE and commercial. I recently applied for a shipyard position and I am really excited about it.....

that's a good attitude to begin with,...

...I have been searching on this site for any information of how work in a shipyard is like but I haven’t found a lot. I would like to know how different is the job compared to commercial.....

then look here:

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,5560.0.html

and here:

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,27719.0.html

and here:

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,15799.0.html

...I would like to know how different is the job compared to commercial. I worked an outage as a junior RP recently. How is the job for women?...

the expectation is equal pay,...equal work,...

.....How hard is the 6 month training?....

YMMV,...for me it was easy, others washed out, there's no real yardstick for how well your innate or lack of innate ability for the task at hand will affect your outcome,...YMWV,...

....How is the pay and the benefits? In the application only a yearly income was posted but I am wondering how much is paid per hour.....

yearly posted income divided by 2080 yields hourly rate at straight time,...

(somebody at the community college owes you a refund  :P ;) 8))

....So far what I know is that it requires a lot of traveling which I don’t mind since I am not married and I don’t have children. Do you have any advice for me in case I do get the job?  ;D

link the posting you are referring to because the only shipyard positions I recall as requiring a lot of traveling are in the services divisions,....

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2014, 03:52 »
GLW Thank you for responding to my post.

the expectation is equal pay,...equal work,...

But on average how many women work on shipyards compared to men? It doesn't matter all that much I'm just being nosy.

yearly posted income divided by 2080 yields hourly rate at straight time,...

(somebody at the community college owes you a refund  :P ;) 8))

bahahaha! Good one  :P  [whistle]

link the posting you are referring to because the only shipyard positions I recall as requiring a lot of traveling are in the services divisions,....

Well it requires some travel (not a lot) like I said earlier.  [oops]

Also thank you for the helpful links  +K  ;D

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2014, 03:58 »
How is the job for women?

Depends on how you an endure occupational hazards such as: welding fumes, inadequate ventilation, fall/tripping hazards, doing hull surveys on wiggling waterlogged planks 30 feet above drydock bottom, getting stuck in ballast and NFO tanks doing infrequent surveys, guys chatting you up constantly while you work, cuts/abrasions/etc. from exposed piping/bolts/shipyard stuff, coming home with clothes reeking of cigarette smoke/welding fumes/ventilation funk/diesel fumes, etc.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: Nov 08, 2014, 09:41 by HydroDave63 »

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 07, 2014, 03:59 »
 Thank you Twinkletoni really good information.  ;D  +K

[thanks]

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 07, 2014, 04:12 »
Depends on how you an endure occupational hazards such as: welding fumes, inadequate ventilation, fall/tripping hazards, doing hull surveys on wiggling waterlogged planks 30" above drydock, getting stuck in ballast and NFO tanks doing infrequent surveys, guys chatting you up constantly while you work, cuts/abrasions/etc. from exposed piping/bolts/shipyard stuff, coming home with clothes reeking of cigarette smoke/welding fumes/ventilation funk/diesel fumes, etc.

Good luck!

Thank you HydroDave63! Sounds like some things I've been around but also some new ones as well.

Offline twinkletoni

• Light User
« Reply #7 on: Nov 07, 2014, 07:15 »
There are a lot more women in this career than ever before.  However since the class is Navy it will probably be heavy on the military which is mostly men.  Good news is that the military are usually E-5 or E-6 and above.  They try to place one Chief in the class.  I've heard recently that the civilian sector is hiring en masse and some of the classes are all civilian.  If that's good or bad, I'm not sure.  I know the military guys helped me out, especially during practicals.

Offline johnnieslingshot

• Moderate User
  • Let's go bowl-diving
« Reply #8 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:13 »
Having worked at a Naval Shipyard for 13 yrs I can tell you one thing for certain.  The Article 108 qualification is a great way to learn radiological controls.  I have taken the NUF 3 times, DOE core 6 times, and the 6 times I qualed,and re-qualed, at the shipyard were the toughest written exams I have ever taken. 

Please feel free to send me private messages.  I might be able to enlighten you some more.  I am sure the others who have given you advice on this forum gave you sound information.  I may still be able to fill in some gaps if you have any extra questions.

Best of luck to you in your chosen career.

johnnie

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #9 on: Nov 07, 2014, 08:46 »
There are a lot more women in this career than ever before.  However since the class is Navy it will probably be heavy on the military which is mostly men.  Good news is that the military are usually E-5 or E-6 and above.  They try to place one Chief in the class.  I've heard recently that the civilian sector is hiring en masse and some of the classes are all civilian.  If that's good or bad, I'm not sure.  I know the military guys helped me out, especially during practicals.

I hope to be one of the many being hired right now  :P. I wonder if having the Associate degree fully focused on Radiation Protection will help me a little bit on the classes. I can only hope! I understand from what everybody has said the training is not easy but I'll try my best.  ;D 

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #10 on: Nov 07, 2014, 09:15 »
Having worked at a Naval Shipyard for 13 yrs I can tell you one thing for certain.  The Article 108 qualification is a great way to learn radiological controls.  I have taken the NUF 3 times, DOE core 6 times, and the 6 times I qualed,and re-qualed, at the shipyard were the toughest written exams I have ever taken. 

Please feel free to send me private messages.  I might be able to enlighten you some more.  I am sure the others who have given you advice on this forum gave you sound information.  I may still be able to fill in some gaps if you have any extra questions.

Best of luck to you in your chosen career.

johnnie

Thank you Johnnie everyone has been so nice and helpful.  +K  I might harass you with questions.  :)

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #11 on: Nov 07, 2014, 09:26 »
I hope to be one of the many being hired right now  :P. I wonder if having the Associate degree fully focused on Radiation Protection will help me a little bit on the classes. I can only hope! I understand from what everybody has said the training is not easy but I'll try my best.  ;D  

It will help you understand that the naval shipyard teaches a condensed version of what applies to deckplate radcon servicing US Navy nuclear vessels,...

A lot of smart guys with CHPs hanging on the wall have developed a lot of thumbrules, circle R requirements, et al, resulting in lots of rules and pages of rules but not the applied critical thinking which developed the rules,...

Step one is to focus on getting qualified with what is presented to you, for you, to be qualified,...

Later, when you have the time and if you have the notion to, you can start looking at how all the 0288 rules were devised from the same basic truths of radiation, health physics, and radiological work that apply to everybody everywhere dependent on their radioisotope synthesis, nuclide distributions and pathways for exposure,...

Probably much later,...

Lots of folks enjoy fruitful careers and live contented lives letting the smart guys be smart guys, and focusing themselves on making sure the occupational workers go home the same way they came in everyday,... 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 07, 2014, 10:03 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Nov 08, 2014, 06:35 »
It will help you understand that the naval shipyard teaches a condensed version of what applies to deckplate radcon servicing US Navy nuclear vessels,...

A lot of smart guys with CHPs hanging on the wall have developed a lot of thumbrules, circle R requirements, et al, resulting in lots of rules and pages of rules but not the applied critical thinking which developed the rules,...

Step one is to focus on getting qualified with what is presented to you, for you, to be qualified,...

Later, when you have the time and if you have the notion to, you can start looking at how all the 0288 rules were devised from the same basic truths of radiation, health physics, and radiological work that apply to everybody everywhere dependent on their radioisotope synthesis, nuclide distributions and pathways for exposure,...

Probably much later,...

Lots of folks enjoy fruitful careers and live contented lives letting the smart guys be smart guys, and focusing themselves on making sure the occupational workers go home the same way they came in everyday,... 8)

Gotcha! 8) Thank you for the advice ;D

Offline Glowing Green

• Light User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2014, 11:31 »
Feel free to send me a private message about the shipyard if you like.  I have worked there as a previous 108 Technician as well as DOE.  I'm now doing outages on the commercial side.  It's only been 4 years since I left and I'm still in contact with alot ppl that work there so I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2014, 02:06 »
Feel free to send me a private message about the shipyard if you like.  I have worked there as a previous 108 Technician as well as DOE.  I'm now doing outages on the commercial side.  It's only been 4 years since I left and I'm still in contact with alot ppl that work there so I would be happy to answer any questions that you may have.

Thank you alblinton for responding to my post. [PM]

( FYI staff and users of nukeworker.com I have fallen in love with the emoticons of this site ;D)

Damsel

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2014, 01:37 »
( FYI staff and users of nukeworker.com I have fallen in love with the emoticons of this site ;D)
<3 [thanks]

Offline damsel

• Very Lite User

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #17 on: Nov 15, 2014, 11:59 »
there is also the article 108 radcon employment with naval reactors at their labs, bettis and knolls.  both use the same knowledge base. knolls is currently hiring through rcs, inc.  which includes relocation expenses.  neither will involve heaving decks or other situations regarding launched ships.  wages will be good, benefits two.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?