Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu New Take on Impacts of Low Dose Radiation

Author Topic: New Take on Impacts of Low Dose Radiation  (Read 8071 times)

BetaAnt

New Take on Impacts of Low Dose Radiation
« on: Nov 13, 2014, 02:34 »
This is interesting http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2011/12/20/low-dose-radiation/?sthash.6eF9xMqf.mjjo .

The linear no threshold hypothesis is disproven?  :o

The EPA is wrong?  :o

BA 8)

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
Re: New Take on Impacts of Low Dose Radiation
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2014, 02:57 »
Thanx good read  +K

Chimera

« Reply #2 on: Nov 13, 2014, 06:13 »
The Linear No-Threshold Hypothesis (LNT) was always been considered as a conservative approach to radiation safety since we have no consistent data to support what may happen to the human body below approximately 10 to 20 Rad acute exposure.  It is a probabilistic assessment/assumption of risk, not a scientific predictor of harm.  Many epidemiological studies have been done, including the hormesis study at the Norfolk Shipyard and the survivors of Hiroshima and Nagasaki but they usually deal with statistical probabilities from long-term exposure to ionizing radiation.  As a conservative method to help minimize and control chronic exposures to ionizing radiation, the LNT model is satisfactory.  As a predictive tool, it leaves a lot to be desired.  However, to treat it as a scientific fact is ludicrous since there is not any real data to support it - just extrapolated data from acute exposures and very high chronic occupational exposures (e.g., the watch dial painters).

Offline SloGlo

• meter reader
  • Very Heavy User
  • trust me, i'm an hp
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:12 »
a nice reed, butt knot much help four us knuckled draggers.  talking about 200 rads worth of exposure to a small percentage of cells is interesting, but certainly naught worthy too attempt to dethrone the el en tea.
quando omni flunkus moritati

dubble eye, dubble yew, dubble aye!

dew the best ya kin, wit watt ya have, ware yinze are!

BetaAnt

« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:00 »
LNT is kinda like global warming. Both disproved hypothesis but still to be used regardless.

Climate change can also be called seasonal but, the useful idiots that get news from the 'Daily Show', 'The View', 'Entertainment Tonight' or any celebrity still support the hoax.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:32 »
LNT is kinda like global warming. Both disproved hypothesis but still to be used regardless.

Climate change can also be called seasonal but, the useful idiots that get news from the 'Daily Show', 'The View', 'Entertainment Tonight' or any celebrity still support the hoax.

Headed toward PolySci territory  [rulez] not that I disagree just need to keep open forums suitable for all posters.

[coffee]

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
  • I knew I got into IT for a reason!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2014, 11:17 »
LNT will take decades to get rid of even though it has no evidence to support it and a growing base of evidence to disprove it. In that respect it is exactly like the predictions of the climate Chicken Littles. However, in this case it was the conservative and sensible route to take in the absence of evidence for or against. Science does march on but it takes a while to overturn widely held beliefs even (or maybe particularly) if they are based solely on what one believes.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

Offline UncaBuffalo

• Mostly Retired
  • Very Heavy User
  • "How Many Things I Have No Need Of" - Socrates
« Reply #7 on: Nov 16, 2014, 02:10 »
LNT will take decades to get rid of even though it has no evidence to support it and a growing base of evidence to disprove it. In that respect it is exactly like the predictions of the climate Chicken Littles. However, in this case it was the conservative and sensible route to take in the absence of evidence for or against. Science does march on but it takes a while to overturn widely held beliefs even (or maybe particularly) if they are based solely on what one believes.

Always good to take the conservative & sensible route until you're sure of your facts, right?   ;)

« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2014, 02:17 by UncaBuffalo »
We are plain quiet folk and have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can’t think what anybody sees in them.      - B. Baggins

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Nov 16, 2014, 03:13 »
Always? Maybe, maybe not. But in the case of health protection, yes.
"I won't eat anything that has intelligent life, but I'd gladly eat a network executive or a politician."

-Marty Feldman

"Politics is supposed to be the second-oldest profession. I have come to understand that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
                                  -Ronald Reagan

I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord, make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it.

- Voltaire

radrat

« Reply #9 on: Nov 17, 2014, 11:18 »
A good read indeed....

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #10 on: Nov 22, 2014, 10:21 »
A good read.  Reaches the same conclusion that a presentation (part of his PHD thesis) Max Moon gave at an HPS (or was it EEI) meeting many years ago.  Most of us that have been around for a while understand that in the case of health and safety the conservative side is the best way to go.  But, with the understanding that it may be too conservative in all reality.

We've seen the occupational dose limit go from 5(x-18) (max 3 rem/qtr.) to a flat 5 rem per year.  And may soon see 2 rem per year (what most are using now).  However, we haven't seen a drop in the non-occupational limit!  Why?  It is less than most of us receive in a year just by waking up each morning and living another normal day.

I've heard people say "I'd never put Granite Counter Tops in my house, 'they' say it is radioactive".  Oh well ;) ;D!
Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2014, 09:18 »

I've heard people say "I'd never put Granite Counter Tops in my house, 'they' say it is radioactive".  Oh well ;) ;D!

But they highlight the Fiesta Ware so very nicely!

Offline OldHP

• Very Heavy User
  • Tell Recruiters to use NukeWorker.com
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2014, 10:54 »
Kind of off topic, [OT] but, on a (not too long past) D&D project the only recordable WBD went to one of my best line supervisors (who also did the rad worker training).  He left his dosimetry in his top desk drawer for about a week while on a trip.  Right underneath it was his stack of Fiesta Ware, Coleman Mantles, etc. that he used in his classes.  The low dose wasn't worth trying to explain away!

(He got more dose flying to his destination (for company work - and I've heard the argument 'if you are on company time it is occupational'.   [DH]

Humor is a wonderful way to prevent hardening of the attitudes! unknown
The government is like a baby's alimentary canal, with a happy appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. Regan

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:21 »
A good read.  Reaches the same conclusion that a presentation (part of his PHD thesis) Max Moon gave at an HPS (or was it EEI) meeting many years ago.  Most of us that have been around for a while understand that in the case of health and safety the conservative side is the best way to go.  But, with the understanding that it may be too conservative in all reality.

Haven't seen Max in a long time.  Our old Numanco days  if I recall.
LM
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014, 09:26 by Marlin »

Offline RDTroja

• Site Heretic
  • Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 10:18 »
Haven't seen Max in a long time.  Our old Numanco days  if I recall.
LM

I last saw him at CR3 in 1981... Numanco it was. One of the people I will never forget.

[OT]

-Marty Feldman

-Ronald Reagan

- Voltaire

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?