Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Resume critique MM1/LELT  

Author Topic: Resume critique MM1/LELT  (Read 14031 times)

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
Resume critique MM1/LELT
« on: Nov 13, 2014, 07:27 »
I'm looking for the quickest path to an SRO license. I've been getting some response for NLO openings (but so far haven't been able to test because my ship is at sea), and have a couple interviews set up for chemistry supervisor and instructor openings. In the long run I want to be in training, but obviously I'll be more effective in that role with a license, so I'm focusing mostly on operator jobs. Any feedback is welcome.

Summary: Experienced Navy nuclear operator with leadership experience and sound judgment looking for a position in Operations.

Professional Experience: US Navy February 2007-present
Chemistry and Radiation Protection Supervisor (E-6)
- Supervise 25 employees in chemistry, radiation protection, environmental compliance, health physics, maintenance and training for two pressurized water reactors.
- Monitor operations to ensure procedural compliance.
- Exercise mature judgment to ensure safe reactor operation.
- Evaluate chemistry trends and determine need for corrective action.
- Prepare and review work procedures.
- Prepare response to audit findings. Review reports of chemistry analyses, radiation health, radioactive effluent discharges, performance evaluations and training programs.
- Efficient troubleshooting led to rapid repair of malfunctioning chemical analysis and radiation monitoring equipment.
- Recognized by an outside assessment team as the only shop supervisor in the reactor department to maintain satisfactory administrative records of maintenance.

Radioactive Materials Program Manager
- Process improvements reduced recurring generation of RCRA-regulated mixed waste by better segregation of regulated materials and minimizing generation.
- Streamlined engineering evaluation and disposal of radioactive waste by developing new documentation requirements for transfer of waste from ship to shipyard.

Nuclear Operations Instructor – Mechanical Operations
- Performed routine and corrective maintenance on electrical generation equipment, steam turbines and reactor safety systems to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Supervised operations during reactor startup and shutdown.
- Trained a group of 270 nuclear mechanic trainees and 70 officers through a 6 month training cycle in nuclear plant operations including maintenance, safety, electrical generating equipment, thermodynamics, fluid theory, engineered safeguards systems and personal integrity.
- Provided critical backup on reactor safety requirements on several occasions.
- Conducted and monitored drill scenarios for training of students and staff instructors.
- Recognized for outstanding performance with the Navy Achievement Medal.

Education
• Thomas Edison State College, Bachelor of Science in Nuclear Engineering Technology. Expected graduation January 2015.
• University of Puget Sound, physics and chemistry (no degree), 1999-2003
• Navy Nuclear Operator training, 3.83 GPA (class standing 4th of 287)
« Last Edit: Nov 13, 2014, 07:29 by gzeiger »

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
Re: Resume critique MM1/LELT
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 01:18 »
You don't qualify to be an SRO out of the gate, so it'll have to be NLO if you want ops.

If you want training, just apply to training. You'll get an SRO "cert."

If you one day do get a license, getting to training won't be as easy as you think.

Justin
« Last Edit: Nov 14, 2014, 01:18 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:18 »
Thanks. I've gotten differing opinions about eligibility, and reading the regulations myself it isn't clear to me either. I take it this doesn't count as an "engineering technology degree?"

I'm not worried about starting as NLO - I'm an excellent operator and I'm confident about getting promoted fast. It's just frustrating to not be able to make testing dates.

Do I understand correctly that I'm on my own to set up travel for both a test date and an interview for NLO jobs? Others have been sponsoring travel and seem to be single-day affairs.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:25 »
I'm not stating an opinion, I'm stating a fact. This makes it pretty clear.

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,33141.0.html

You don't have 2 years of EWS, therefore you're not eligible for SRO training.

Most companies will provide you with travel and lodging for interviews and tests.

Justin
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2014, 12:26 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:50 »
I did read that thread, but the regulations cited in the link in the first post say "degree in engineering, engineering technology, or a related discipline" as an alternative to EWS. I don't see any very clear delineation of what does and does not fall into that category. It looks to me like the requirement is six months site familiarization plus a degree in a "related discipline." What am I missing there?

I'm glad to hear that about testing. It seems like a big burden on them given what I see posted regarding the pass rate, but I guess if you need good people maybe that's what's necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2014, 01:09 »
It does not say that that is an alternative to EWS. In fact, it states:

"For military personnel with the specified BS degree and requisite military nuclear experience (qualified in the military to manipulate control rods or supervise the manipulation of control rods), the flowchart in Figure 2.2 would be used to determine direct SRO eligibility. If the candidate is not qualified in those positions in the military, the employer may use the flowchart in Figure 2.3 with no credits for military time; and the candidate would need 18 months in a power plant staff position or 18 months as a qualified nonlicensed operator to meet the responsible nuclear power plant experience eligibility requirements for SRO training."

You currently have no degree, so for now, you would use figure 2.2. If you do get a degree, which no one will hire you as having a degree based on "expected graduation," then you would use 2.3 which the above paragraph applies to.

Justin

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2014, 01:41 »
I see. I missed that section. That's certainly clear enough.

There are a couple plants I would be delighted to travel across the country at my own expense to test and interview with, and some others I would consider carefully if at all.

My original goal was to ask what in my resume seems irrelevant for NLO applications. Any thoughts on that? I know there are some important differences in the job compared to what I've been doing.

Why would you say that it's not as easy to get into training as I think? Why would I be competitive now, but not with a license?

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2014, 01:51 »
I see. I missed that section. That's certainly clear enough.

There are a couple plants I would be delighted to travel across the country at my own expense to test and interview with, and some others I would consider carefully if at all.

My original goal was to ask what in my resume seems irrelevant for NLO applications. Any thoughts on that? I know there are some important differences in the job compared to what I've been doing.

Why would you say that it's not as easy to get into training as I think? Why would I be competitive now, but not with a license?

Because it takes too long and too much money to license people, and we don't just give them up from ops very easily. We're all undermanned.

I'll read the resume closer later.

Justin

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2014, 02:08 »
Makes sense - that's what I thought you'd say. Really, if that's the case I'll be happy in Ops. It might sound weird but what I really want at work is to go home feeling like I did something important. In the Navy at least it's seemed like time spent on training had a bigger overall impact than time spent operating, plus I think I'm good at identifying key points out of the big picture.

On the other hand, maybe the world outside the Navy is organized differently enough that that isn't really the case. I don't think I'd ever have a problem with staying in a job because the company needed me there.

I really appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2014, 11:37 by gzeiger »

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2014, 08:38 »
....... plus I think I'm good at identifying key points out of the big picture.......

not so much,...

.... In the Navy at least it's seemed like time spent on training had a bigger overall impact than time spent operating,...

this is because your perspective is based on your self and not on reality,...

...On the other hand, maybe the world outside the Navy is organized differently enough that that isn't really the case.....

no, both are based on reality:

in the Navy the reality is that nuclear power plants are the best alternative for the aircraft carriers and submarines of a blue water, global projection, multiple fleet power projection force,...

the Navy does not have nukes to give nuke trainers something to do, the Navy has nukes because nukes do the job best for the needs of the US Navy, as soon as something better comes along nuclear powered ships will go away, just as sails and coal did before them,...

training is a necessary requisite to fight wars with nuclear powered warships,...

that's the reality of NNPP training,...

NNPP training does not exist for it's own sake,...

Because it takes too long and too much money to license people, and we don't just give them up from ops very easily....

Commercial nuclear power plants exist to cost effectively put electrons moving through the grid and collect revenue for putting those moving electrons through the grid,...

When the cost effectiveness is no longer there the commercial nuke plant is no longer needed, when the plant is no longer needed, there are no more operating jobs, if there are no operating jobs, there is no need for those who train the operators,...

that's reality, and reality does not care about you,...

reality is a messy, never ending, clean up set, we are all just here to ride the wave or wipe out,...

your choice,...
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2014, 09:27 by GLW »

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2014, 12:36 »
...... Any feedback is welcome.....

thank you for your service,...

you've done well,...

Fair winds and following seas and long may your big jib draw,...

been there, dun that,... the doormat to hell does not read "welcome", the doormat to hell reads "it's just business"

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #11 on: Nov 15, 2014, 05:50 »

Summary: Experienced Navy nuclear operator with leadership experience and sound judgment looking for a position in Operations.

Professional Experience: US Navy February 2007-present
Chemistry and Radiation Protection Supervisor (E-6)
- Supervise 25 employees in chemistry, radiation protection, environmental compliance, health physics, maintenance and training for two pressurized water reactors.
- Monitor operations to ensure procedural compliance.
- Exercise mature judgment to ensure safe reactor operation.
- Evaluate chemistry trends and determine need for corrective action.
- Prepare and review work procedures.
- Prepare response to audit findings. Review reports of chemistry analyses, radiation health, radioactive effluent discharges, performance evaluations and training programs.
- Efficient troubleshooting led to rapid repair of malfunctioning chemical analysis and radiation monitoring equipment.
- Recognized by an outside assessment team as the only shop supervisor in the reactor department to maintain satisfactory administrative records of maintenance.

Radioactive Materials Program Manager
- Process improvements reduced recurring generation of RCRA-regulated mixed waste by better segregation of regulated materials and minimizing generation.
- Streamlined engineering evaluation and disposal of radioactive waste by developing new documentation requirements for transfer of waste from ship to shipyard.

Nuclear Operations Instructor – Mechanical Operations
- Performed routine and corrective maintenance on electrical generation equipment, steam turbines and reactor safety systems to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Supervised operations during reactor startup and shutdown.
- Trained a group of 270 nuclear mechanic trainees and 70 officers through a 6 month training cycle in nuclear plant operations including maintenance, safety, electrical generating equipment, thermodynamics, fluid theory, engineered safeguards systems and personal integrity.
- Provided critical backup on reactor safety requirements on several occasions.
- Conducted and monitored drill scenarios for training of students and staff instructors.
- Recognized for outstanding performance with the Navy Achievement Medal.

Education
• Thomas Edison State College, Bachelor of Science in Nuclear Engineering Technology. Expected graduation January 2015.
• University of Puget Sound, physics and chemistry (no degree), 1999-2003
• Navy Nuclear Operator training, 3.83 GPA (class standing 4th of 287)

If you're looking for an ops position, you want to focus a bit more on plant operations/maintenance. I'm guessing you're a surface ELT (based on the number of ELTs you supervised), so that might be tough. Also, put down dates for when you had your various positions. You can also break down your time in the navy by command. Finally (in addition to what Higgs said), I doubt anyone cares that you got a NAM.

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
« Reply #12 on: Nov 15, 2014, 09:47 »
Yes, I'm on a surface ship. I'm qualified Chief Reactor Watch of course, but you're right that my usual watch can only be described as "operations" to the extent that I choose to involve myself in a monitor role. I do that quite a bit, but it's hard to quantify on paper. I left the qual off because as Broadzilla pointed out once it isn't optional, so I thought it would be assumed. Worth putting on there?

On the other hand, the operations schedule for prototype staff is fairly intense, and I don't feel that I'm inexperienced compared to others with similar military time. I'll try to think back to that more. Anyone been at the Charleston prototype know what specific items might be worth mentioning? I stood ERS and ESF Mechanic about equally, and did a fair amount of maintenance, especially on the ESF systems.

Here's what I don't know how to say: I care more about my job and doing it well than almost anyone I've met in the nuclear Navy, and I will bring the same level of dedication to my next job. How do I get that on paper?

Good to know about the award. I was wondering about that.

Please explain your comment about maintenance. I've done lots of things I could mention, but what kinds of things specifically would make someone stand out for Operations? I've fixed pumps and HVAC units, radiation detectors, chemical analysis equipment, overseen tons of testing in an RP role, done many plant cooldowns and heatups, written minor test procedures from scratch and compiled work packages for many things, but I don't feel like there's one thing I could point to as being above and beyond what I thought was necessary.

You're the second person to suggest breaking up jobs by date. My issue with that is that a good chunk of my time on the carrier has been an aggregation of collateral duties, some minor and some major, which overlap in time and collectively amount to an unreasonable number of items to list. I don't want to leave gaps, especially since when I write it that way it seems to imply that I had the later (better) job for a longer time, which feels dishonest, and I don't want to list irrelevant things either. How did you handle that? Or are you saying just put dates for each command? That could be reasonable, although I was thinking the radioactive materials bullet was something I did well and wanted to mention.

Here's how I would list everything I've done just at my current command (using Navy terms in this forum, obviously not on the actual resume):
USS Nimitz June 2011-current
Leading ELT December 2013-current
Reactor Laboratories LPO August-December 2013
Plant Chemistry Supervisor (plant LPO) May-August 2013
Workcenter Supervisor March 2012-May 2014 (concurrent with other jobs)
Dosimetry technician January 2012-April 2013
Radioactive Materials Petty Officer January 2011-April 2013
Maintenance technician (ELT) June-December 2011
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2014, 11:59 by gzeiger »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #13 on: Nov 16, 2014, 01:23 »
Since you only have 8 years of experience, you can list pretty much all you primary jobs. I recommend reverse chronological order (most recent things first).
Here's an example of how I would present your last few years:
-Leading ELT, USS Nimitz: Dec 2013-Present
(Add a couple bullets to describe duties/accomplishments)
-RL LPO (spell these out), USS Nimitz: Aug 2013-Dec 2013
(A couple more bullets)
-Plant Chem Supervisor... (be prepared to discuss how these are different from each other)
-WCS...
-Dosimetry tech, RAM PO, Maint. tech (I'd combine these, but that's my opinion)...

At this point add a few collateral duties that are relevant to the job you're applying to and add your 2 years as a JSI, then add education. Include the nuclear pipeline and that you have earned credits toward a degree, but don't list the degree until you actually have it.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #14 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:35 »
......How do I get that on paper?....

You do not, that's why they have interviews,...

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #15 on: Nov 25, 2014, 09:53 »
Here's what I don't know how to say: I care more about my job and doing it well than almost anyone I've met in the nuclear Navy, and I will bring the same level of dedication to my next job. How do I get that on paper?

And a lot more more humble as well?  ::)

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
« Reply #16 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:03 »
Ok, you got me there Dave.

I think you know what I mean though.

Offline GLW

• Gold Member
  • caveo proditor,...
« Reply #17 on: Nov 25, 2014, 01:08 »
Ok, you got me there Dave.

I think you know what I mean though.

yup, everyone knows what you mean,... [coffee]

itzokaydoe,... ;)

'cause once and if you move up from t-ball to the majors, then humility will be served on a daily basis,... :P

guaranteed,... 8)
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014, 01:08 by GLW »

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2014, 02:42 »
I'm looking forward to it.

Offline fiveeleven

• Heavy User
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2014, 03:02 »
This is not related to the critique of your resume, that has already been accomplished. I was just curious as to the state of affairs on CVN-68. I sailed the high seas on her from 80-84. Can you still do your laundry in the DCon laundry? Is the division office still starboard side just past the mess deck heading aft? It was a Med. liner out of Norfolk in them days - long walk to, and longer walk back from the enlisted club. Underway on nuclear power - what a concept. Good luck with your pursuits out in the world.Thank you for your service.  MM2/ELT USS NIMITZ CVN-68 1980-1984. BOHICA.
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2014, 03:04 by fiveeleven »

JsonD13

« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2014, 07:11 »
Why are you wanting to go ops/training versus radiation protection or chemistry???  Since you're an ELT your skill set definitely lends itself more towards those fields.......

Offline Laundry Man

• Heavy User
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2014, 09:18 »
If the individual wants to head up the ladder, Ops is the way to go.  How many Site VPs were HPs or Chem Techs?  I don't recall any from the sites I worked.
LM

Offline gzeiger

• Light User
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:06 »
Of course you're right, Jason, but I'm just not excited about a "comfortable" job. I am looking at some chemistry supervisor positions, but I wouldn't want to be just a technician. The main thing I want in any job is the opportunity to learn and be better than what I am.

Besides that, although my highest supervisory responsibility has been as an ELT, that's only about 3 years. I was a SPU mechanic in Charleston, and combined with the collaterals that go along with being LELT I'd say I have as much experience in operations and training as I do in chemistry anyway.

FiveEleven - PMed you. No, you cannot do your laundry in the decon room.

JsonD13

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2014, 08:42 »
I had pretty much the same resume as you, including the MO SPU and RL LPO on the boat, the only big differences are that when I got out, I had the TESC and 1 masters degree done.

I took a job as an RP technician.  I can tell you right now, that I make more (with overtime) than my supervisors (grossed over 90k my 1st year out), and I have more time off than them (usually get 40% of days off, plus over 200 hours of PTO). 

The job is more challenging than the Navy ever was, at certain times.  Other times, its comparable to standing watch in a shutdown plant (even though we are operating).

I'm not sure if you have a family or not, but if you do, maybe it would be worth considering doing something like this........

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?