Career Path > Navy:Getting Out

Resume critique MM1/LELT

(1/5) > >>

gzeiger:
I'm looking for the quickest path to an SRO license. I've been getting some response for NLO openings (but so far haven't been able to test because my ship is at sea), and have a couple interviews set up for chemistry supervisor and instructor openings. In the long run I want to be in training, but obviously I'll be more effective in that role with a license, so I'm focusing mostly on operator jobs. Any feedback is welcome.

Summary: Experienced Navy nuclear operator with leadership experience and sound judgment looking for a position in Operations.

Professional Experience: US Navy February 2007-present
Chemistry and Radiation Protection Supervisor (E-6)
- Supervise 25 employees in chemistry, radiation protection, environmental compliance, health physics, maintenance and training for two pressurized water reactors.
- Monitor operations to ensure procedural compliance.
- Exercise mature judgment to ensure safe reactor operation.
- Evaluate chemistry trends and determine need for corrective action.
- Prepare and review work procedures.
- Prepare response to audit findings. Review reports of chemistry analyses, radiation health, radioactive effluent discharges, performance evaluations and training programs.
- Efficient troubleshooting led to rapid repair of malfunctioning chemical analysis and radiation monitoring equipment.
- Recognized by an outside assessment team as the only shop supervisor in the reactor department to maintain satisfactory administrative records of maintenance.

Radioactive Materials Program Manager
- Process improvements reduced recurring generation of RCRA-regulated mixed waste by better segregation of regulated materials and minimizing generation.
- Streamlined engineering evaluation and disposal of radioactive waste by developing new documentation requirements for transfer of waste from ship to shipyard.

Nuclear Operations Instructor – Mechanical Operations
- Performed routine and corrective maintenance on electrical generation equipment, steam turbines and reactor safety systems to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Supervised operations during reactor startup and shutdown.
- Trained a group of 270 nuclear mechanic trainees and 70 officers through a 6 month training cycle in nuclear plant operations including maintenance, safety, electrical generating equipment, thermodynamics, fluid theory, engineered safeguards systems and personal integrity.
- Provided critical backup on reactor safety requirements on several occasions.
- Conducted and monitored drill scenarios for training of students and staff instructors.
- Recognized for outstanding performance with the Navy Achievement Medal.

Education
• Thomas Edison State College, Bachelor of Science in Nuclear Engineering Technology. Expected graduation January 2015.
• University of Puget Sound, physics and chemistry (no degree), 1999-2003
• Navy Nuclear Operator training, 3.83 GPA (class standing 4th of 287)

Higgs:
You don't qualify to be an SRO out of the gate, so it'll have to be NLO if you want ops.

If you want training, just apply to training. You'll get an SRO "cert."

If you one day do get a license, getting to training won't be as easy as you think.

Justin

gzeiger:
Thanks. I've gotten differing opinions about eligibility, and reading the regulations myself it isn't clear to me either. I take it this doesn't count as an "engineering technology degree?"

I'm not worried about starting as NLO - I'm an excellent operator and I'm confident about getting promoted fast. It's just frustrating to not be able to make testing dates.

Do I understand correctly that I'm on my own to set up travel for both a test date and an interview for NLO jobs? Others have been sponsoring travel and seem to be single-day affairs.

Higgs:
I'm not stating an opinion, I'm stating a fact. This makes it pretty clear.

https://www.nukeworker.com/forum/index.php/topic,33141.0.html

You don't have 2 years of EWS, therefore you're not eligible for SRO training.

Most companies will provide you with travel and lodging for interviews and tests.

Justin

gzeiger:
I did read that thread, but the regulations cited in the link in the first post say "degree in engineering, engineering technology, or a related discipline" as an alternative to EWS. I don't see any very clear delineation of what does and does not fall into that category. It looks to me like the requirement is six months site familiarization plus a degree in a "related discipline." What am I missing there?

I'm glad to hear that about testing. It seems like a big burden on them given what I see posted regarding the pass rate, but I guess if you need good people maybe that's what's necessary.

Thanks for the help.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version