Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Field analytical equipment
honeypot

Author Topic: Field analytical equipment  (Read 5648 times)

atomicarcheologist

Field analytical equipment
« on: Nov 17, 2014, 07:08 »
If you were on a field assignment, digging up RAM and your count tech told you a hot sample IDed at Th234 what would your reaction(s)  be?

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: Field analytical equipment
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17, 2014, 09:44 »
How hot?  Just above 'background', or like 6 Zillion curies?

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2014, 10:53 »
If you were on a field assignment, digging up RAM and your count tech told you a hot sample IDed at Th234 what would your reaction(s)  be?

Only Th234?

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #3 on: Nov 17, 2014, 11:40 »
1mCi/gm

Th234 lone isotope

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:42 »
1mCi/gm

Th234 lone isotope

Not possible with it's short half life without the rest of the decay chain. You need a better library in your gamma spec. Send sample to a lab.
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2014, 12:43 by Marlin »

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 17, 2014, 12:47 »
Not possible with it's short half life without the rest of the decay chain. You need a better library in your gamma spec. Send sample to a lab.

While waiting do a half life if you saved the sample.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:39 »
While waiting do a half life if you saved the sample.
Yeah, we're digging RAM from the 60s to early new millenium... that T1/2 thing is a bit of a problem...

I was more interested in reactions to the scenario, to scale against mine, rather than technical solutions.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 17, 2014, 01:49 »
Yeah, we're digging RAM from the 60s to early new millenium... that T1/2 thing is a bit of a problem...

I was more interested in reactions to the scenario, to scale against mine, rather than technical solutions.

Gothcha... reaction is "bogus"  ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 17, 2014, 01:50 by Marlin »

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2014, 02:50 »
Gothcha... reaction is "bogus"  ;)
Interesting, I'll have to remember that in the future. My reaction was, shall I say, a bit less reserved...  ;)

Chimera

« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2014, 09:06 »
1mCi/gm

Th234 lone isotope

With what degree of confidence?  It may be time to go back to the old-fashioned way and hand-identify all isotopes based on the peaks in your printout.  With the wrong library, your equipment may not be able to identify what it's seeing and is, instead, looking for the best fit from its library.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2014, 02:02 »
So, if you were told to use a 2350-1 in single digit temperatures, what would your reaction be?

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?