Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu questions about Nupoc and future career
honeypot

Author Topic: questions about Nupoc and future career  (Read 2655 times)

Offline shanespring

• Lurker
questions about Nupoc and future career
« on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:14 »
Thinking about trying to get into the nupoc program im a highschool senior and I know I want to go to college for mechanical or civil engineering

1) If I did nupoc and became a nuclear engineer officer would I be able to get my masters in nuclear engineering while serving

2) If i stuck with a bachelor's in mechanical throughout my navy career would I be able to get a good job in nuclear engineering field after getting out of navy or would I need the degree

3) As a Swo nuke would I be limited to aircraft carriers only or could be on a destroyer also or other ships

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: questions about Nupoc and future career
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2014, 12:57 »
First, it would benefit you to take the time to ask your questions using proper punctuation and grammar. First, it will give others the impression that you are a smart, capable young man worth helping. Second, it will allow others to actually understand what you're trying to ask.

There are several options within NUPOC - Naval Reactors Engineer (NRE), instructor, submarine officer, and SWO(N). You should research the differences and clarify which program you are trying to enter. That will allow people to answer your questions about long-term career goals within the Navy.

SWO(N) alter between 'smallboys' (DDGs, CGs, FFGs, LCS, etc) and carriers. On smallboys they work in a non-engineering department and stand JOOD/OOD (con the ship), on the carriers they work in the reactor department and stand watch supervising plant operations. If you are male then SWO(N) is probably not an option for you through NUPOC. You would have to apply for an NROTC scholarship and try to get selected during your service selection, but that is also up to the needs of the Navy.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?