Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu 10 CFR 20 Wording for Radiation Areas honeypot

Author Topic: 10 CFR 20 Wording for Radiation Areas  (Read 3999 times)

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
10 CFR 20 Wording for Radiation Areas
« on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:54 »
In 10 CFR 20, why are the definitions for each of the radiation areas worded specifically to say "x amount of rem/rad in 1 hour" vice a unit per measurement of time (rem/hr)? I know why VHRAs are in rads, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the "in 1 hour" instead of rem/hr.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2014, 01:44 by RFaunt »
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
Re: 10 CFR 120 Wording for Radiation Areas
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:12 »
In 10 CFR 120, why are the definitions for each of the radiation areas worded specifically to say "x amount of rem/rad in 1 hour" vice a unit per measurement of time (rem/hr)? I know why VHRAs are in rads, but I'm trying to wrap my head around the "in 1 hour" instead of rem/hr.

/hr = in 1 hour

Regulations have to be exact and specific.  "/hr" is short hand for 'per 1 hour', but is not defined in the code, so it can not be used.
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2014, 12:14 by Rennhack »

etm

« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:20 »
Also acknowledges pulsed power machines that do not generate radiation at a constant rate.

atomicarcheologist

« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2014, 12:38 »
Also acknowledges pulsed power machines that do not generate radiation at a constant rate.
Going along with this assertion; "per" indicates a rate while "in" is  a function word indicative of a limit and in these regs that would be one hour.

Offline Marlin

• Forum Staff
  • Stop Global Whining!!!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2014, 01:17 »
To expand on etm's post application of dose in one hour apply more to control of sources and radiation generators than power plants. Most plants write their procedures to which they must comply in mr/hr and entities such as radiographers write theirs to the letter of the law and comply with charts of exposure time to comply, i.e. 60 mr/hr in a 10 minute exposure is 10 mr in one hour.

10 CFR 20 ???

Offline RFaunt

• Moderate User
Re: 10 CFR 20 Wording for Radiation Areas
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2014, 01:53 »
Thank you to everyone for the great input on this. It's amazing how quickly everyone jumped to respond; now I'm a slightly less dim bulb.

10 CFR 20 ???

You got me, Marlin.[oops] I went back and fixed it in the topic and the original post. I'm still trying to beat the 29 CFR 1910.120 out of myself.  [spank]
"If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Isaac Newton

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?