Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Yet another NUPOC hopeful: a few queries honeypot

Author Topic: Yet another NUPOC hopeful: a few queries  (Read 5554 times)

Offline JJF221

• Lurker
Yet another NUPOC hopeful: a few queries
« on: Nov 27, 2014, 02:37 »
While I like to think that I've sufficiently scoured the posts on Nukeworker relevant to my queries about the NUPOC program and made as many inferences as I could where answers weren't explicitly provided, I'm sure I haven't. Having said that, I'll thank everyone in advance for putting up with yet another topic from a prospective NUPOC candidate, parts of which probably have been addressed elsewhere on these forums.

I'll provide my biosketch: I'm a junior (and by that I mean third-year student, senior by credit hours, but more on that in a bit) mathematics major at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) with a 3.90 GPA. My school offers the opportunity to earn an M.S. in one extra year, so my plan is to earn an M.S. in math/applied math in the course of four years; so, really, I would be walking across the stage at the anticipated time of my baccalaureate graduation, but I'd get handed an M.S. and have a gown with a few extra embellishments.

For approximately the past year, I have been seriously considering becoming a Naval officer upon graduation. Certainly, my own life's resume wouldn't suggest that and I would have laughed if someone suggested it a few years ago but I do have my reasons. Without going into details, my grandfather retired as LCDR (having been prior-enlisted, actually) and my brother is currently a Chief Petty Officer. For both of these people in my life, the Navy been a profoundly transformative experience for them. I went to my brother's pinning ceremony at Fort Dix in September and I was sold. From my interactions with the sailors at Fort Dix, both officers and enlisted, and the experience holistically, I decided that the US Navy was a force and community which I would try my hardest to be a part of. I can't think of anything more fulfilling at this stage of my life than to serve my country by way of the Navy. In fact, I'd really like to make a career out of wearing the uniform.

I spoke with Naval Officer recruiters two months ago at my school's Fall career fair and have since privately met with and otherwise been in touch with a (extremely helpful and knowledgeable) LT responsible for officer recruiting in my area about NUPOC. NUPOC had been a program that I had known about for some time and so his exposition of it all was pretty streamlined.

So, I'll begin with my inquiries:

1.) There is one other idiosyncrasy with my application beyond the whole BS/MS song and dance: I have not taken physics II (I only have one semester of calc-based physics). I have, however, registered for Physics II next semester (Spring 2015). I plan on making this explicit in my application package and my recruiter and the Naval Reactors Engineers at the career fair said that as long as I register for the course, it should be duly noted and, based on my performance thus far, assumed that I will do well in the course and would essentially be processed as though I have taken it (by the time I submit my application materials and they get around to reviewing them, I'll be enrolled in the course). Does this sound right? This is a long shot, but if there are some users here involved in the selection process, has such a thing been considered/done for applicants before?

2.) I mentioned earlier that I don't really plan on making the Navy a "X-years-and-out" venture, but rather I would like make a career out of it. My preferences, then, are as follows: (1) SWO(N), (2) SUB, (3) Instructor, (4) Naval Reactors Engineer. I really have two questions here.

(a) It seems to me the word on the street is that mostly females (I'm a male) get selected as SWO(N)s (at least through NUPOC). Is there some veracity to this? I should qualify this by saying that if I were selected for submarines I'd still accept the offer with wide open arms, but I'd really like to go surface.

(b) I've gleaned in other threads that positions seem to "fill up" for a fiscal year, so is there a strategic time during which I should submit my application for review if I want one of these URL positions? (right now I plan on having my application completed before the end of December)

I have other questions that I can't really articulate very cleanly right now, but those will surface when appropriate. Again, I thank everyone who reads this for their time and consideration.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
Re: Yet another NUPOC hopeful: a few queries
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:47 »
1) I personally was turned away until I completed calc-based physics I and II as well as Calculus II (I misunderstood that Calc AB AP credit was just calc I). I did this coursework post-bach. If your recruiter says he can submit, then he can submit.

2) a) Yes, there is truth to this. Up until recently, women couldn't go subs, so the few NUPOC SWO(N) spots that existed were reserved for them. Even with women on subs, the amount of female sub accessions is not very high.

b) No, there's no strategic time to apply. Yes, positions can fill up, at which point your recruiter will submit your package for the following FY. So you can either self-impose a wait and start filing the paperwork later which may cause additional delays, or you could file the paper-work now and the Navy will review it as soon as there is a spot.

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2014, 01:55 »
Certainly, my own life's resume wouldn't suggest that and I would have laughed if someone suggested it a few years ago but I do have my reasons.

0:46 - 0:59

Good luck!

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2014, 05:27 »
I prefer Das Boot's simple "All set?"

Offline JJF221

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2014, 10:38 »
1) I personally was turned away until I completed calc-based physics I and II as well as Calculus II (I misunderstood that Calc AB AP credit was just calc I). I did this coursework post-bach. If your recruiter says he can submit, then he can submit.

2) a) Yes, there is truth to this. Up until recently, women couldn't go subs, so the few NUPOC SWO(N) spots that existed were reserved for them. Even with women on subs, the amount of female sub accessions is not very high.

b) No, there's no strategic time to apply. Yes, positions can fill up, at which point your recruiter will submit your package for the following FY. So you can either self-impose a wait and start filing the paperwork later which may cause additional delays, or you could file the paper-work now and the Navy will review it as soon as there is a spot.

Thanks spekkio. Like I mentioned, talking to the NR engineers and my officer recruiter it sounds like not officially having physics II under my belt will be mostly a non-issue for my application as long as I'm slated to take it prior to graduation (and I've registered to take the class next semester which will appear on my unofficial transcript). I have completed all of the other required courses, being calc I & II via BC calc and physics I. I just wanted to feel around and see if, maybe, someone else had been in a similar situation; it sounds like your situation was a little different.

Using your reply as a springboard, I do have another question (for anyone to answer) pertaining to the whole SWO(N)/submarine officer designation upon the Navy reviewing my application materials. When and by whom does this get decided, ultimately? That is, which officer designation I may get. Obviously, this has no immediate relevance to my application process, but it's just a curiosity of mine.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2014, 11:44 »
You'll know when you are extended an offer to interview in D.C.

Offline Matt

• Light User
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2015, 11:52 »
1.)  I have seen several people get waivers for a single course with previous superior performance.  The only course I have ever seen get waived is Physics II.  So as the NR Engineer stated you should be fine

2.) (a) There are about 30 spots for SWO(N) and 150 spots for Subs each year for males. 

(b) No.  Students are accepted on a rolling basis, as such we don't wait until Oct 1 to open more spots.  NUPOC is unique in this sense as there is no "board" conducted 2-4 times a year.  As soon as your kit makes it to DC it is reviewed.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?