Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu navy nuclear college credits honeypot

Author Topic: navy nuclear college credits  (Read 16513 times)

Offline lifeisgarbage

• Lurker
navy nuclear college credits
« on: Nov 29, 2014, 03:20 »
hi, I'm a navy nuke. I was wondering which college would give the most credits for any engineering preferably electrical engineering from the nuclear program and how much would they give me. I was told you could get up to 60, where could i get this.

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: navy nuclear college credits
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2014, 11:21 »
For EE? you're looking at maybe 10-15 credits, tops, and those are general electives. The main reason is that the nuclear power program doesn't focus on engineering (design), it focuses on operation and maintenance.

For engineering technology, I believe the order is: Thomas Edison State College (around 80ish I think), Excelsior (also around 80ish), ODU (don't remember, but I think around 50). Those three have deals worked out with the navy to accept a lot of your training as credit. All three are ABET accredited these days.

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2014, 01:58 »
hi, I'm a navy nuke. I was wondering which college would give the most credits for any engineering preferably electrical engineering from the nuclear program and how much would they give me. I was told you could get up to 60, where could i get this.
MMM covered your question, but a little side note: I think that your priorities are a little sideways if you are selecting your college based on how many service transfer credits it will award you. You only get one shot at going to college, make it count. Unlike many 18 year olds who don't know what they want to study, you have a clear reason for attending college and career goal in mind. Pick the institution that will most help your career goals, not the one that affords you the quickest and easiest way to get a degree. With the GI bill + financial aid, there's really no reason to select a school that will let you graduate in a year or two just for the sake of finishing quickly.
« Last Edit: Nov 30, 2014, 02:00 by spekkio »

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2014, 02:10 »
Another note: As far as I know, there are two reputable schools that offer engineering degrees via distance education. ASU has electrical engineering entirely online (they send you the materials for the labs) and UND (University of North Dakota) which has most engineering degrees available, but you have to spend a couple weeks at their campus for the labs (or take them at a local college and transfer them).

In either case, I recommend getting what you can at a community college and transferring the credits for general education, math (all 3 semesters of calculus), chemistry, and physics (both calculus based). Just compare the classes and talk to the school about how they transfer and the amount they accept.

Offline lifeisgarbage

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2014, 08:08 »
If I got the net degree from Thomas Edison could I then get my masters in electrical engineering from somewhere else?

Offline spekkio

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2014, 01:40 »
If I got the net degree from Thomas Edison could I then get my masters in electrical engineering from somewhere else?
You will have to research the requirements for entry into a MSEE program from that 'somewhere else.' My gut instinct tells me that it would require you to have an actual engineering degree or other comparably strong technical background. They also expect you to have taken at least one computer science course because you will be working with matlab or a similar mathematical programming language.

Samabby

« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2014, 08:36 »
" lifeisgarbage  "

Time to get a grown up name.  :o

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2014, 05:26 »
" lifeisgarbage  "

Time to get a grown up name.  :o

Be nice.

Offline Kakashi86

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Apr 06, 2018, 02:29 »
Just be careful on deciding what you actually want to do after the military/with your degree. Yes, the excelsior and T-Ed degrees are ABET accredited, however they are ETAC-ABET accredited which is not what some employers would like to see. One more than one occasion have I had into road blocks where people have said my degree is not accredited. Upon showing proof that it is accredited they return with that it needs to be EAC-ABET accredited. In fact for New York State if you are interested in pursuing engineering further towards getting a PE the ETAC-ABET degree will actually put you 2 years behind in required experience for taking the PE exam. You are also not eligible for an Engineer-In-Training certificate in NYS with a "tech" degree. The major difference is the application of calculus based math in courses. ETAC does not have an much calculus based classes as a "normal" EAC-ABET degree.
In fact I was trying to transfer to engineering here where I currently work and encountered the first road block. Next, while trying to return into the Reserves as an officer for Civil Engineering I was also told that I need to have a EAC-ABET degree unless I had the EIT certification. I took the Fundamentals of Engineering exam and passed only to find out that NYS does not offer certificates to Technology degrees even if it is still ABET accredited. Now I am finding out that I am returning back to school only to obtain another piece of paper with my name on it that is from a EAC-ABET college. The other reserve program that I was looking into specifically says no technology degrees, only EAC-ABET degrees.
Lack of fore-sight on my end with using most of my GI Bill for the previous degrees. BS. NET from Excelsior and MEM from PSU.
Many colleges for the Subsequent M.S. degree will also require a EAC-ABET degree. M.E. degrees will be able to take many of your ETAC-ABET credits/degrees.

Just trying to give another light on the subject.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?