Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu NO training at OPG
honeypot

Author Topic: NO training at OPG  (Read 14756 times)

Offline gigster101

• Very Lite User
NO training at OPG
« on: Dec 06, 2014, 01:19 »
Hey , I was thinking about applying to the nuclear operating training job at OPG and I was wondering what my chances are with only a highschool diploma.
I'm currently studying Nuclear engineering and in my 2nd year . Id like to know if I should continue my studies or apply and see if i can get the job. I mean the minimum requirement is a highschool diploma and Im sure if I do well in the test and interview they might consider me .

Also how much would you be getting paid while in training ?

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
Re: NO training at OPG
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2014, 09:27 »
I wouldn't count on getting an offer. Most licensed operator instructor positions require a degree, SRO license, or teaching experience to start. If it happens to be for NLO training, you might have a chance but I suggest finishing the degree.

Also, you're not likely to get someone to give you a pay range on a public forum.

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2014, 10:26 »
There is zero chance of you getting an instructor job with no degree or experience.

There's more traits that they are looking for that you didn't list. High school diploma isn't the only one. And it's a minimum, even burger flipper has it.

Justin
« Last Edit: Dec 06, 2014, 10:27 by Higgs »
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline gigster101

• Very Lite User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2014, 05:31 »
This is what the application says

To meet the challenges of this dynamic opportunity, you must:
-successfully pass all formal examinations during the initial training period including Radiation Protection;
-be prepared to work a rotating 12-hour shift;

(((meet at least one of the following education requirements:)))

Grade 12 Diploma from an Ontario Secondary School that includes Grade 12-U (university) preparation courses in mathematics and Grade 12(U) physics or chemistry;  
Ontario Academic Course (OAC) credits in mathematics and physics or chemistry;
Ontario Secondary School diploma plus a three-year College Technologist diploma in a relevant discipline, or a college technician diploma in Power Engineering or Stationary Engineering; or the equivalent;
Ontario Secondary School diploma plus a four year Engineering degree in a relevant discipline.
possess good communication skills (both verbal and written), consistent with Grade 12 English requirements to qualify;
have a valid Class G Ontario driver's license (or able to obtain one before the start of employment);
have flexibility to work shifts including weekend and holidays;
if applicable, have Canadian equivalency of foreign education; and
be eligible to work in Canada. 

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2014, 06:45 »
That's not an instructor job like the op reads.

I know nothing about Canadian hiring practices. Apply and see what happens.

Justin
"How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic.” - Ted Nugent

Offline HydroDave63

• Retired
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2014, 08:57 »
I mean the minimum requirement is a highschool diploma and Im sure if I do well in the test and interview they might consider me .

With only a secondary diploma and a couple years of college, really?!?

On-topic: Even from the information that you posted from the application, they are going to want to see a completed diploma in either Technologist, Power Engineering, Stationary Engineering or an Engineering degree in a relevant discipline. When you have one of those, that would be the time to start your search.

(((meet at least one of the following education requirements:)))

Grade 12 Diploma from an Ontario Secondary School that includes Grade 12-U (university) preparation courses in mathematics and Grade 12(U) physics or chemistry; 
Ontario Secondary School diploma plus a three-year College Technologist diploma in a relevant discipline, or a college technician diploma in Power Engineering or Stationary Engineering; or the equivalent;
Ontario Secondary School diploma plus a four year Engineering degree in a relevant discipline. possess good communication skills (both verbal and written), consistent with Grade 12 English requirements to qualify; have a valid Class G Ontario driver's license (or able to obtain one before the start of employment);
have flexibility to work shifts including weekend and holidays; if applicable, have Canadian equivalency of foreign education; and
be eligible to work in Canada.
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2014, 10:06 by HydroDave63 »

Offline gigster101

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2014, 11:07 »
Okay here is the full steps to become a NO including the hiring steps and education requirements

http://www.mypowercareer.com/Assets/CMS/WYSIWYGBase/file/Nuclear_Operator_RJP_2010%20.pdf
« Last Edit: Dec 07, 2014, 11:08 by gigster101 »

Offline Already Gone

• Curmudgeon At Large
  • Very Heavy User
  • Did I say that out loud?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 08, 2014, 10:18 »
It should actually read as follows:

Grade 12 Diploma from an Ontario Secondary School that includes Grade 12-U (university) preparation courses in mathematics and Grade 12(U) physics or chemistry;
OR
OR
OR
Ontario Secondary School diploma plus a four year Engineering degree in a relevant discipline.

Also, the OP mis-spoke slightly in referring to the job as a training job.  I believe he meant to say "trainee".
Hope that clears it up.
"To be content with little is hard; to be content with much, impossible." - Marie von Ebner-Eschenbach

Offline gigster101

• Very Lite User
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2014, 02:43 »
Yes thank you ..that is what I meant .
So Wat do you think are my chances

Sorry for the confusion

Offline Higgs

• SRO
  • Very Heavy User
  • Life has a melody...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:37 »
I still think you have little to no chance. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try.

Justin

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:09 »
Significantly better than your chances of being an instructor.  ;)
Your chances will probably be better after you complete your degree though.

Offline gigster101

• Very Lite User
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:04 »
I'll give it a go ..let's see
I was going to apply for co-op but they only take 3rd and 4 the years

Offline triti-yum

• Very Lite User
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:31 »
as an OPG employee....finish your education!

sure they say that grade 12 is the minimum...think they'll bother with that when they can get better?

there's no harm in applying for NO, but remember you're up against others who have diplomas and degrees.

Offline gigster101

• Very Lite User
« Reply #13 on: Dec 14, 2014, 11:10 »
Your right but I'll still apply ..even if I don't get it at least I'll know what the process is like

No harm in trying right?

Offline newenguy

• Lurker
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2015, 06:40 »
Hi Guys,

So I applied back when this position came up and now I have to go and write a test. I've been reading here and it seems a lot of the US Nukes have to write the POSS test. Does anyone know if its the same case with Canadian nukes at OPG? I would appreciate any tips regarding the Canadian test and how to prepare.

Offline Rennhack

• Forum Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2015, 09:47 »
Just a note about Canadian English vs American English.

In America, we take tests to prove proficiency. The teacher writes the test. 

Offline triti-yum

• Very Lite User
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2015, 08:25 »
Hi Guys,

So I applied back when this position came up and now I have to go and write a test. I've been reading here and it seems a lot of the US Nukes have to write the POSS test. Does anyone know if its the same case with Canadian nukes at OPG? I would appreciate any tips regarding the Canadian test and how to prepare.

i can't tell you exactly what is on the test, ethics and all. i can tell you this though from when i did mine almost 5 years ago:
OPG does a 4 part test, they'll probably stick you in a conference room at a hotel somewhere. you'll do all 4 parts with breaks in between and takes up to 4 hours. when they tell you to stop, you STOP! continuing to write AT ALL will result in losing marks! the test consists of reading/comprehension, logic test and mechanical aptitude. these tests are not about getting it finished, but more about getting the questions you answer right. i'm saying that because as i remember they tell you that in the test anyhow. its multiple choice and the test is timed.

i would recommend trying to find example tests online with google, and even just reading a few books to keep your reading/comprehension skills tuned up if you're not already an avid reader.

they'll tell you that a test mark of 80% is the minimum to be considered for an interview....well that's just considered. in reality, they're going to do what anyone else does - take the highest marks and interview those. maybe some exceptions depending on work experience.

Offline Smilin' Joe Fission

• Light User
« Reply #17 on: Jan 21, 2015, 06:47 »
I seriously suggest finishing your education. OPG will be hiring Operators in 2 years. They will also be hiring engineers, which your degree will open up for you as another option.

And, if Ops is where your heart lies, you could take an engineering position for 4-5 years and then apply for the Shift Supervisor In Training program.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?