Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Star Re-Enlistment and or JSI

Author Topic: Star Re-Enlistment and or JSI  (Read 6969 times)

Offline palmernuke

• Very Lite User
Star Re-Enlistment and or JSI
« on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:34 »
Hello, I am currently at nptu and am wanting to either put in a package for junior staff instructor or just star re-enlist... however, back in september I went to captains mast and do not know if im still eligible. I left nnptc with a promotable eval and will get my rank back in march.. if I qualify early and show initiative will I be eligible for those?     I was masted at nnptc and then 2 months later got another eval that said promotable

HeavyD

Re: Star Re-Enlistment and or JSI
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2014, 11:45 »
In all honesty, these are questions for the Career Counselor at NPTU.  Nothing that any of us can offer is more concrete than what they will tell.  Also, I'm a little surprised you have this question and haven't talked to them, because they are the person who handles all that in the chain-of-command.

Anyway, best of luck.  Hopefully you learned a valuable life lesson from your NJP.

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:36 »
Hello, I am currently at nptu and am wanting to either put in a package for junior staff instructor or just star re-enlist... however, back in september I went to captains mast and do not know if im still eligible. I left nnptc with a promotable eval and will get my rank back in march.. if I qualify early and show initiative will I be eligible for those?     I was masted at nnptc and then 2 months later got another eval that said promotable

You are not going to be eligible for either STAR or JSI at this time.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:39 »
Well, I see GC responded while I was typing. Kind of makes my response completely pointless.

JSI screening usually happen around week 14-16 if I remember correctly and you aren't allowed to qualify before week 17 (week 16 is your earliest 100% exam without TM permission, mine never gave me permission to give an earlier exam). Part of that has to do with exam repeatability issues.

You would be ranked against other top students that haven't been to mast. Depending on how your section handles it, you might have to explain why you are a better choice than one of the other students (possibly several times). I will say you lose nothing by applying for JSI (aside from wasting paper I guess).

Offline Gamecock

• Subject Matter Expert
  • "Perfection is the enemy of good enough."
« Reply #4 on: Dec 09, 2014, 06:14 »
MILPERSMAN is the the reference....
       http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/reference/milpersman/1000/1100Recruitinig/Documents/1160-100.pdf

Specifically states no mast within the last 18 months in order to STAR reenlist.....

And JSIs are required to STAR reenlist....

Therefore, not eligible for either.

Cheers,

GC
“If the thought police come... we will meet them at the door, respectfully, unflinchingly, willing to die... holding a copy of the sacred Scriptures in one hand and the US Constitution in the other."

Offline MMM

• Very Heavy User
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2014, 05:14 »
While JSIs are required to reenlist, they don't have to do it right away. I think the JSI reenlistment is now done a graduation, although that is only a command requirement since I know MARF had someone get selected JSI a few years ago (about 5 or 6) and almost went his full tour without reenlisting (picked up 2nd class before graduation, then slipped through the cracks somehow).

Offline palmernuke

• Very Lite User
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2014, 11:16 »
Thanks everyone for your input... I have plans to talk to the ccc soon. I just arrived at nptu.  I have an interview with my student advisor tomorrow so I plan to ask him several questions

HeavyD

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 12:46 »
I'll offer this advice since you provided some better context to your plan and situation.

While it's great you are trying to plan ahead, your # 1 priority needs to be studying and getting qualified.  I know you said you want to put in a JSI package, but if you end up struggling to get qualified and don't perform well while on watch, your chances for being picked up will be somewhere in the neighborhood of ZERO.

Get focused and make being successful at your assigned job your top priority, everything else will fall into place if you do that.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?