Help | Contact Us
NukeWorker.com
NukeWorker Menu Amount of high level Nuclear Waste
honeypot

Author Topic: Amount of high level Nuclear Waste  (Read 3395 times)

Offline bigjoemonger

• Light User
Amount of high level Nuclear Waste
« on: Dec 14, 2014, 05:49 »
I'm writing a paper basically advocating that we should build more Nuclear Power Plants to cover increasing energy demands and to replace outdated fossil fuel facilities. 

http://www.nei.org/Knowledge-Center/Nuclear-Statistics/On-Site-Storage-of-Nuclear-Waste

I'm reading this webpage and it says that the total amount of High-Level radiation waste for the US Nuclear Industry over the last 4 decades would cover a football field about 7 yards deep.

I'm wondering, is that considered a lot? Because the US is a big place with about 100 active Reactors and over 40 years it doesn't seem to me like 72,000 tons is a lot.  Especially considering Fossil Fuel Plants produce waste on the level of 100,00 tons or more every year.

Any input is appreciated.

atomicarcheologist

Re: Amount of high level Nuclear Waste
« Reply #1 on: Dec 14, 2014, 06:18 »
I'm wondering, is that considered a lot?
I have to ask, is that a lot of what?
A lot of waste?  Not really.
A lot of investment for a reprocessing industry? Yes.
A lot of problems in the current configuration? Maybe.
A lot of work for a skilled work force? Maybe.
A lot of material for politicians' speeches? Absolutely.

NukeWorker ™ is a registered trademark of NukeWorker.com ™, LLC © 1996-2024 All rights reserved.
All material on this Web Site, including text, photographs, graphics, code and/or software, are protected by international copyright/trademark laws and treaties. Unauthorized use is not permitted. You may not modify, copy, reproduce, republish, upload, post, transmit or distribute, in any manner, the material on this web site or any portion of it. Doing so will result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.
Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Code of Conduct | Spam Policy | Advertising Info | Contact Us | Forum Rules | Password Problem?